Guest injury

Kandi1
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Guest injury

I have hosted for years, but recently while a guest I injured myself at the hosts home. I am getting nowhere with getting resolution such as help with paying for the mounting medical bills.  How does an Airbnb guest solve a problem like this?

9 Replies 9
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Kandi1 

Sorry you are having a negative experience.

Did you lodge a claim in a timely fashion? ie as soon as the incident occurred?

Has airbnb assigned you a case manager?

If not, apparently messaging vai Twitter gets a better class of Customer service rep.

BE sure to collect and maintain receipts for your expenses.

It may also be possible to claim against the hosts public liability insurance if they have any?

Bit hard to know how to advise without knowing any specifics.

Hopefully some other more experienced people will be along shortly to offer insight and advice.

Good luck

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Was the injury caused by something that was the host's responsibility?

Do you not have travel insurance?

Are you expecting Airbnb or the host to pay for your medical bills?

the injury was the guest doing as they slipped getting out of the shower.  i have a shower mat that is non slippery.  i have renters insurance but the guest is asking that i cover their medical expenses because they don't want to pay their medical deductible.

Patrick2391
Level 2
Fishers, IN

I had a guest who slipped and fell while getting out of the shower.  May have broken their ankle and hit his head.  Wife had an ambulance come and they took him to the hospital.  As a host am I responsible for any bills or liabilities?

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

@Fiona256 I have the same questions. Just because you injure yourself in an Airbnb, it is not the host’s responsibility to pay for your medical bills…. Unless it was directly related to an unsafe situation caused by the host.

Andrea,

How do you communicate this to your guest and do you direct them to contact AirBNB instead?

@Patrick2391 In my listing I state under my rules something along the lines of: “ I will not be held liable for any guest injury in my home. That they use the pool and the grill at their own risk and by booking they accept my terms.”

Fortunately, I haven’t yet had anyone injure themselves while staying at my place, but I see that you say your guests slipped in the shower? I don’t see how that could be your fault..unless somehow you didn’t provide a safe environment for them. I would contact Airbnb support or possibly a lawyer to see what if anything you would need to do.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Patrick2391 I would inform both your insurance company and/or Airbnb Aircover the minute the guest suggests you are liable in any way for this situation. In the UK I think it would take a lot to make the host liable - In the USA I am not so sure....

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We have liability insurance for precisely this type of thing. It's the law here. You have to have it or you can't get a licence, and if you don't have a licence, you can't rent (or at least advertise in any way) .

I couldn't imagine doing this without such insurance. It's not expensive.