Guest lied about number of number of guests

Guest lied about number of number of guests

I found out BEFORE their stay that the guest lied about the number of people coming. 

In my description, I say the space is perfect for one person, but I allow for two.  In my screening, she assured me it was just her and her daughter.  In a conversation, she referenced "kids"  and then admitted she was planning to come with two.  

It's a separate one-bedroom unit in my house, so I would obviously see (and hear) two kids.

I obviously don't want her staying with me and violating the rules.  How can I cancel her booking without getting dinged?

She's asking ME to cancel -no way, she's the one who lied.

Thanks in advance. 

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Annette720  Unfortunately, you will have to contact customer service and tell them this booking needs to be cancelled, with no penalties to you, as your max guest count is 2 and the guest lied to you when booking and now admits it is 3, which you absolutely can't accommodate. If it was an Instant Book, you can cancel it yourself, saying you are uncomfortable with the booking, or whatever other option they give you that is appropriate. 

Or you can tell her she needs to cancel, and you will authorize a full refund, as her booking violates your max guest count and you won't admit her to the property if she shows up. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Annette720 

Annette the problem is, the guest is always right....at least that's the way Airbnb see it.

I had the same situation recently, a guest booked for one person but in the booking message said they were a quiet family. I pointed this out to him, he replied that the booking would be for he, his wife, a 10 year old child and an infant. I asked him to amend his guest numbers to reflect the correct number of guests.

The next thing I got a change of reservation request for two adults and an infant. He had obviously seen that the listing fee was for two adults and infants are accommodated at no charge but, the 10 year old would attract an addition $15 per guest fee so he chose to ignore the 10 year old on the booking.

Annette, I knew exactly what was going on, I studied it for a while weighed up the pluses and the minuses and accepted the change request. Sure enough he turned up with his wife and two children neither of whom were infants.

Now I could have refused to accept them and put up with all the hassle that would go with that or just take a hit for that extra $15 per night after all as I have said before 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing!

I gave them a reasonable review and they gave me a good review because, he dodged a bullet!

Once the reviews were posted I messaged the guest and told him he would not want to try and pull that stunt again, other hosts may not be as laid back as I was and he could well find himself refused accommodation for deliberately not declaring guest numbers. I reported him to Airbnb and I don't know what the outcome of that was but from my point of view, Annette, you will get guests that will do things like this, not many but, they are out there. I think you are just going to have weigh up for yourself if is worth having an inquisition over. Personally I wouldn't!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4  This host has said she only rents a private room in her home that is best for 1 but 2 would fit. 3 for sure would not. 

I usually agree with your take on things, but in this case, I think your advice that she consider grinning and bearing it is way off the mark. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 

I know what Annette has said in her post, I also note her listing is an entire condominium, the listing description, "You will have the entire place to yourself", although it is a part of a single structure, it is not a shared space. I have a feeling Annette has split the building to incorporate a separate let able  area and that is why I gave the advice I did.

Although the sleeping arrangement is for one queen/double bed, there is a commodious lounge that could well sleep a second child, if the need arose.

I am not saying Annette should disregard  her listing description and her house rules.....I am just suggesting that sometimes if we put ourselves out just a bit for guests it does pay dividends!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4  I admit I misread-I thought it was a private room in her home, not a separate unit.

I don't see any reason not to occasionally bend rules to accommodate nice, polite guests.

But guests who outright lie- I would never want them as guests. 

Update: I contacted Airbnb and was able to cancel without being penalized because it's listed for 2 people max, the guest confirmed a few times it was just for two people. 

Just because someone can bring 5 air mattresses to a house to increase sleeping capacity doesn't mean they should.

I provided a FULL refund to clear the energy.

We are new to this & got an instant booking yesterday for 4 adults.  Our property has sleeping arrangements (actual beds) for 7 and is noted on our listing.  In their note to us (after booking) they say "and our kids".  I asked how many would be staying & he said:  him, his wife + their 4 young children PLUS their friends & their 2 kids = 10.  Said they'd bring bed rolls for the floors & put people on the couches. I cancelled stating that we can not accommodate that many & cancelled with no penalty fees to either party.  It is pretty far in advance, so they should be able to find something else.  The guy has 3 positive reviews.  Am I supposed to report this somewhere so other know to watch?

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Annette720 

I wish there were a handy undesirables list somewhere but as far as I know there is not.

I seem to remember someone mentioning an off-platform site that has searchable guest profiles but I can’t remember where it was.

The only thing I know to do is question guests before arrival, as you did, and if they state their intention to ignore the rules, tell them to get lost.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Annette720 

I found this but I don’t know how useful it is.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/AirbnbGuestBlacklist/

I don’t do Facebook nor do I intend to start so it’s definitely useless to me.