Guest requests for refund

Catherine2927
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Guest requests for refund

I have guests staying at my apartment who have been complaining about a number of things and are quite demanding.  They even asked my manager to lend them some baking powder at 0100 at night!  I recently updated my listing to remove the garage from the spaces, but forgot to update the description to say private parking was available.  The guests were not arriving by car and did not have a car on arrival but decided to hire  a car and are now complaining about having difficulty in parking and said they are asking airbnb for a partial refund.  What would be a reasonable amount to offer, given that the manager has been treated like a hotel concierge for the past week and has gone out of way to help and I let them check in two hours early?  TIA

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Catherine2927 my suspicion is Airbnb would give them a 20-25% reduction so anything less than this would be a win. Just make sure any refund is supplied through Airbnb or they may claim twice.

@Catherine2927  If the stay is in progress, your opening offer can be a booking alteration request, advancing the guests' checkout to tomorrow or the following day and fully refunding the unused nights. If the guests are truly unhappy with the missing amenity, this gives them the chance to find somewhere better.

If they decline, you've called their bluff. 20% sounds like a reasonable final offer, accepting your share of the responsibility for inaccurately listing a garage. 

The early check-in and the guests' treatment of the manager will never be relevant details in a refund request; you can save that stuff for your review.