Guest said they were not coming and did not cancel

Beach-Laws0
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Guest said they were not coming and did not cancel

Hello All! I was wondering if you could offer some insight?
I have a guest that was supposed to arrive earlier this week- told us she was not coming due to BLM protest. In our city there has been peaceful protests (no curfew, no damage, no injuries)  and in a city 30 mins away from our home there was one night of property damage and a small fire- since that time only peaceful protests. She literally referred to our area as a "war zone". 

She contacted us the night before her booking requesting a full refund. We have a strict cancellation policy and referred her to that. She became threatening and we referred her to Airbnb. 

She has not cancelled her stay and I do not believe contacted Airbnb. Is there anything I can do? She already referenced leaving a negative review and I do not believe that is fair given she has not been in the home.

Thank you

Ashley 

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Did you get paid 24 hours after what should have been check in?  If so, do nothing.  If you want to refund 50% you could send money.  It is up to the guest to initiate the cancellation and if she did not, and tries to get a refund after the fact, it is possible for Air BNB to view this as an extenuating circumstance.  Personally, I would wait to see what happens.  Things are very chaotic right now, so I am not sure what to predict. 😛

We have not yet got paid but its only been a day. I am definitely going to wait and see what happens and I am okay with her being refunded if Airbnb believes its an "extenuating circumstance" but I don't believe it meets those criteria. Thank you! 

@Beach-Laws0   No-show guests who don't cancel before the arrival date can still leave reviews. But if the guest threatened to leave you a bad review as a means of demanding money, what she did was a very clear-cut act of extortion. In the event that she does review you, if the correspondence was within Airbnb messenger it should be sufficient evidence to have it removed (although customer service is said by many to be awfully slow and ineffective these days). You may refer her to this policy:

Extortion or incentivization

Any attempt to use reviews or review responses to force a person to do something they aren’t obligated to do is a misuse of reviews, and we don’t allow it.

People who use Airbnb aren’t allowed to tie positive reviews to promises of compensation or to threaten negative reviews if a desired outcome is not met. Violations may result in the restriction, suspension or termination of your Airbnb account.

This policy prohibits:

• Guests threatening to use reviews or ratings in an attempt to force a host to provide refunds, additional compensation, or a reciprocal positive review.

Had the guest contacted Airbnb on or before the arrival date to complain that the protests made it impossible to reach your home safely, it's possible that they might have granted an Extenuating Circumstances cancellation and a full refund. But it would be very unusual (though not unheard of) for this to be issued well after the scheduled arrival date, when the guest's refusal to cancel kept the calendar blocked for re-booking. The facts are on your side, so I would only advise sticking to your policy and ceasing communication with the guest. If she submits a review, you may reciprocate with an honest account of what transpired and ask Airbnb for to remove hers under the terms of the policy above.

Thank you! All communication was through Airbnb so that is good to know. I hope if she does review we are able to remove it! 

@Beach-Laws0I hope if you do get a negative review from her you're able to get it removed, but if for some reason Airbnb refuses, don't forget that you can respond to reviews. I would lay out the facts, calmly and clearly as you did here, in your response. You would still take a hit on your numbers if they give you a low-starred review, but at least potential guests will see your side of the story.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Beach-Laws0 In all likelihood, your guests did contact Airbnb and were told their 'concerns' wouldn't be covered by their present EC, and maybe as a direct result they intent to leave a bad review, which of course Airbnb shouldn't allow, since they never stayed. After all, what are they going to review, the fact they didn't personally like you or Airbnb who they never met? .

Even IF they leave a review chances are you can get it removed and even if not removed you can make it look silly because in all likelihood their 'review' will be irrational.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Beach-Laws0 

Overridding a hosts cancellation policy using the excuse of an extenuating circumstance for a non-event, then possibly being penalised because of a threatened negative review to which the innocent host will 'only ' receive a hit on her numbers by the low stars given which will not be overridden -  but at least the host will have a right to reply which won't ever correct those numbers - just about sums up how things work around here.

Then, add in "Guest said", "Host said" sessions via CX consuming unneccessary man hours and anguish to the pot, pressurising an already under manned service which couldn't cope at best...

Whatever happened to just telling the guest they were being over dramatic, they will need to pay the hosts cancellation fee as contracted and relinquishing the rights to a review based on the fact that the guest threatened a bad review? Simple. End of.

The system is broken. Or just deliberately punitive.

Agreed- its a bad process I will see how the guests respond and respond in the best way possible. 

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 You making things too simple, leaving no room for high-school level drama. 😄

@Fred13 

Its just not needed is it! 😂😂

Beach-Laws0
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Just wanted to give an update- The guest continued to harass me and my co-host- sending threatening messages and we continued to refer her to Airbnb. Airbnb did surprise me in supporting our cancellation policy and also  removed her dramatic, book of a review even though she never stayed at our home. I know there are several incidences where Airbnb does not remove reviews so I just wanted to share that they did remove her review. It took me literally being on the phone for hours waiting to talk with a case manager and sharing my story several times. Just wanted to share- hopefully it will help others!