Guest unplugged my router deactivating my disclosed cameras, wifi and door keypad

Jennie198
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Guest unplugged my router deactivating my disclosed cameras, wifi and door keypad

Hi fellow hosts!

First time experiencing something like this and I have generally had really great guests. My guest checked in yesterday and 30 minutes into checking in, I notice that all the disclosed cameras were offline and so was the wifi and door keypad. I thought it was strange so I immediately check if there was an internet outage in the area but there was not. Immediately reported this to airbnb to be documented as suspicious activity. Next morning rolls around, everything is still offline so I checked with my internet provider again for the second time to confirm that no outages were reported whatsoever. Now I contact the guest to make sure everything is okay and let her know that the routers seem to be disconnect/unplugged. She then informs me they were having trouble with connecting to wifi last night and it was too late to reach out (I find this to be an excuse because 8pm is not too late to reach out especially when I just sent her a welcome message when she confirmed she checked-in). I immediately ask if she would allow me to send my staff to check out the router situation and she completely stopped replying. Now  I am very concerned. I am sending updates to airbnb to document everything but get minimal replies and seem to be of no help. I am a superhost with a 4.97 average rating and I really expected more assistance from Airbnb...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jennie

23 Replies 23

@Ben205 @Amanda660 when I arrived, no one was home and because the guest and airbnb did not give any feedback, I did not feel comfortable entering. Nothing looked out of place when I peeked in (I was just afraid guest would be having a party) so I decided it was not an urgent issue. Guest probably had extra guests and I was right. After they checked out and I plugged my router back in, my offline footages started to flood in. I confirmed the extra guests and will be sending the footages to airbnb.

Thank you everyone for your concern and support! 🙂

Do you mind if I ask what brand cameras you use that stored the footage while disconnected from wifi? Thanks @Jennie198

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Jennie198 did you get it sorted?

Lisa7129
Level 2
Tazewell, TN

@Jennie198 Did you ever receive a response from airbnb on their stance if a guest unplugs the router?

Hi @Lisa7129 Airbnb superhost support was not too helpful in this situation. Different reps sent me responses along the lines of:

"Hi Jennie,

I’m sorry for this experience. I'm sending you to the correct team right now to make sure you receive prompt assistance.

If this is an emergency or you feel that your personal safety is threatened in any way, please contact the local police or emergency services immediately."

That said, I took it upon myself to keep updating via the message thread of all the events that were occurring just to have something documented. It seems like you really have to address these situations on your own since there is only so much Airbnb can do.  Just have to inform the guest you're coming out to check on the situation then just showing up to do so. Turns out my guest wasn't throwing a party, but just had way more guests than reported and wanted to avoid the extra guest fees. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did they pay the extra guests fees when discovered @Jennie198 

AnaAlejandra0
Level 2
Mableton, GA

Hi Jennie,

this happened to me yesterday for the first time.   Unlike you, I did not connect the guest and just assumed they unplugged my router and I put that in the review.   The guest just connected me to tell me she didn’t do it.  Ha ha, I know nobody else was there to do it and the plug cannot fall of the wall in its own .   I now plugged  the router in a locked closet.   Can you do that?  

Hi @AnaAlejandra0 

Yes...we always advise our Host clients to place their router in an area not accessible to guests (locked) closet. It is absolutely allowed and advisable. We also suggest changing your router password from the factory password listed on the bottom of the router just in case. 

We also add to hour House Rules and security camera disclosures that cameras may not be obscured, tampered with, or disconnected and Wifi may not be disconnected. This is in accordance with Airbnb's Community policies for Guests:

Security Devices - Guest Tampering

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3053

Community policy

Whats Expected of Guests

We expect our guests to uphold certain standards and be considerate and respectful of their Hosts, Hosts’ neighbors, and any other community members they may meet

• "Tampering with security devices: Guests may not disconnect or otherwise obscure any permissible and properly-disclosed security devices."
Ricardo2087
Level 1
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I have a wooden cabinet with air vents and a keypad lock. My guest Wi-Fi network is separate from the main network, ensuring that my connected devices remain hidden from guests. This setup provides top-notch security and prevents guests from unplugging my network devices or trying to access the devices via router logging/settings. 

Additionally, never give anyone access to your router, as this can compromise your personal network setup and settings. Be sure to include in your rules that tampering with any plugged-in devices is strictly prohibited.