Guest wants to cancel, I want to override my policy and refund in full

Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

Guest wants to cancel, I want to override my policy and refund in full

I have a guest scheduled to stay with me in October for a wedding. The wedding, not surprisingly, was postponed due to the coronavirus. The guest wants to reschedule for next year but I cannot accommodate and I would like to refund in full (I am on Strict). I've tried to contact AirBnB but the phone support wait times are 45min to an hour. I've tried messaging support and haven't heard back (first message was July 1).

So, my question is, if the guest goes online and chooses to cancel, will there be any way for me to approve a full refund including AirBnB fees?

Thanks,

Tim 

21 Replies 21
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Russell49 As I suspected Australian law is very similar to English law. See the link below to go into state by state details

www.dlapiper.com/en/australia/insights/publications/2020/06/relief-for-frustrated-contracts/

@Timothy19 I think you are doing the right thing and I believe the US has similar laws on frustrated contracts as well.

That said even under English law event cancellation does not always lead to accommodation provision being frustrated. It very much depends on the extent of the 'frustration' (my words). So if a wedding is cancelled that would only give rise to a frustrated accommodation contract if the majority of the trips to attend the wedding.

IF this is the case, then I will flat out deny any guest who is booking for a wedding or any event that falls under this sort of banner. Concerts are almost nil where I live anyways. Either way, they won't book my place under current circumstances just to pull out at the 11th hour expecting a refund....not on my watch. In this age, people know about covid, so they shouldn't be booking anywhere unless they want to see their travel through.

My location is unique to this situation however and this is where I should have noted the difference. The vast majority of those coming to my area are here for nature and it's beauties-not weddings or major events.

This law states that the event must be the result of an unforeseen event or circumstance that arises after its formation by no fault of either party. Covid is not an excuse as we know it exists. It is not unforeseen and people booking at my property will need more than a "sudden fear" to cancel my strict policy. Likewise, it is easy to ask people why they are coming to the Blue Mountains-which is 99% scenic viewing-not concerts or events. I will just have to mention that we cannot risk wedding attendees as we are not covered by AirBnB-problem solved😂

Mike-And-Jane0  It looks like my last message didn't get posted, so I will summarize it....

I should note the difference of circumstances with my location and the bookings I get in my situation which is likely a different situation from most others- The vast majority of people who stay here are for hiking and nature-not weddings, concerts or events but outdoor life.

Likewise I can evade this by telling guests that are wedding attendees that I am not covered by AirBnB so I cannot accept their booking due to liability/ risk with over-riding my cancellation policy.We have to ultimately take the control of our rules and not allow them to be exploited.

The law is vague, but in my understanding of this, a guest visiting lookout points wouldn't be entitled to a refund when the rock formations and lookouts will still be here, just as my ability to fulfill their booking. They cannot cry about covid at the moment when they know it exists yet choose to book. Obviously there are circumstances that still expose us all-for example, if the government issues a complete lockdown.Then I can see the need to be flexible with refunds where my listing is involved.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Russell49 Much of what you say I fully agree with. The last bit though is, I believe, wrong in law. If states lock down and travel is not possible then legally a full refund will be due whether they know covid exists or not.

Mike-And-Jane0 This is what I am saying....I say that an unforeseeable event such as a government lockdown would indeed be a cause for entitlement to a refund. Cancelling their nature visit because they already know covid exists isn't an excuse to ask for a refund and their AirBnB accounts should be frozen if this is the case-to ensure it if they are truly feeling "at risk" despite only 1 case of covid happening in Katoomba this year at the start of this mess.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

https://mtnsmade.com.au/listing/hiccup-art/https://mtnsmade.com.au/listing/hiccup-art/

@Timothy19 

This is just a quick reply to encourage you to follow through on what appears to be your preferred path of getting the guest to cancel and activate a full refund via the Resolution Centre, or the automated link which is likely to be sent through via the Airbnb system.

Write things such as "Once you have sent your cancellation request, I will then respond with an agreement to your cancellation. "Once this step is complete, I will then be able to activate your refund"

Start your reply to their request for a change of date with a genuine expression of thanks for their original booking, and a honest response about the non-availability of a future date at this time. 

Explain the need for them to be the ones who are required to initiate the cancellation which they currently require. Explain the steps that they need to follow-eg, Guest to check their website for "My Trips" alteration/cancellation, then follow the prompts etc. 

Wish them well, and guide them through the process. 

Throughout all the communications that you will have with this particular guest, keep in mind that this is a critical opportunity to build or damage your future business.

While all guest interactions offer this potential, the particular issue with this guest is that they are part of a large group of connected individuals who were all intending to attend this same function. It is highly likely that many wedding guests will be communicating with others in the group.

This is an opportunity to educate  your guests about the correct procedure to initiate a cancelation, and work with their hosts to a mutually agreeable outcome. They are then likely to communicate this knowledge to a number of others when they inevitably discuss this matter. Ensure that whatever they are likely to say, it reflects a positive experience and a favourable view of you as a professional compassionate and reasonable Host. This will pay dividends in the future, and you are going to feel more comfortable with your actions. 

Reassure your "guest" that any commitments that you give them via email you will follow through on, and that you do have some discretion to override your cancelation policy, and it is your intention to assist them in this matter. Be honest about your limitations. 

Be clear about the Airbnb booking fee being a separate matter between them and Airbnb, and the possibility that this money will be forfeited but you are not in a position to modify this. 

Encourage them to revisit the Airbnb website to check for availability closer to the time that they may again require accommodation. 

My reply is a bit rushed, but I hope it sounds friendly and is helpful to you and others.

Best Regards, Christine from Wombats at Glenbrook.