Guests are breaking house rules! No help from Airbnb!

Cindy137
Level 2
Houston, TX

Guests are breaking house rules! No help from Airbnb!

I have guests at my house breaking rules.  I've been waiting since yesterday for help from airbnb and so far.... crickets!!!   What do I do?   No one will call me back from Airbnb.   I have called them 5 times since yesterday afternoon and am still waiting for a supervisor to give me guidance on how to handle the guests.   

Help!!!

4 Replies 4
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Cindy137  Have you spoken to guest via airbnb platform about breaking house rules? That’s your  first course of action. Are the house rules that are being broken causing a safety hazard, involve extra guests, or pets that are not a legit service animal? Is it possible to shorten their stay? Keep calling airbnb. 

I was asking Airbnb what to do and in what order.   The first gal from Airbnb had such a thick accent and broken english it was difficult to understand what she wanted me to do.   She said "guest can leave" but I wasn't sure if that meant I refund them money for the rest of the stay.  And she wasn't sure how to get them to leave.    After a few more calls, they said a supervisor would call me back.   The nice guy this morning from airbnb said someone will call you within the hour to give you guidance.   Never got a call. 

As far as the rules being broken, my guest out right lied and brought a dog and a young child.  We have a STRICT  no pets, no children under the age of 15 and no extra guests policy.   House rules are clear and they are also posted in my listing.

After reading the posts on this forum, I contacted the guest and told her that our security service had contacted us that a dog and young child was on the property and that they would need to find other arrangements for them.    She was apologetic and has agreed to leave the property. 

We are fortunate that they are being nice about it.   I told her if she could get the dog and child off the property today I would not see her security deposit.  Hoping to handle things between us. 

It definitely seems like there should be better support for superhosts.   At least send me an email with guidelines for this situation.  How hard is that.   AND Airbnb...don't lie to your super host and say someone will call you back.  That's as bad as a guest lying to you.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Cindy137  Airbnb isn't going to do much of anything, they might call the guests on your behalf or if you provide suffiient documentation, they might cancel the reservation at no penalty to you.

You need to decide what you want to happen here.  Get rid of guests or not.  Don't rely on Airbnb to change guest behavior or even help with an eviction.  The absolute most they will do is give you a penalty free cancellation and then you have to get the guests out yourself.

Cindy137
Level 2
Houston, TX

Thanks! I appreciate that insight. I did look at several other posts regarding the same issue. I realize that Airbnb wasn’t really going to do anything. I reached out to my guest and told them that our security company had alerted us that there was a pet on the property and it would have to be removed immediately. Also that there was a young child which we do not allow. The guest was actually responsive and has agreed to leave. It’s a miracle!