Guests staying despite having cancelled

Answered!
Alex7245
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Guests staying despite having cancelled

A guest checked in, then immediately cancelled (due to something they were unhappy with). I told them they would have to leave, but they didn't. Instead they changed their mind and say actually, they would like to stay and will make a new reservation. They didn't, and still spent the night. They are still there and not responding to my messages. AirBnb support is very unresponsive as well. I'm tempted to call the police - what would you advise in this situation?

1 Best Answer
Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

If guest cancels after check in time then they wouldn't be entitled for any refund, even the cleaning fee. The only problem I could think about is that if guest causes any damage, the host guarantee is not going to cover it since there's no reservation active. 

Legally, you have all the right to call the cop to kick them out since they don't have a valid reservation active. If I were in such situation I would ask them to make another reservation IMMEDIATELY and then refund the cancelled one that will make everything smooth. Give them a hard deadline (say, 4 hours) and let them know you need to take action if they are not cooperating since there are a lot of liability issues. Be honest and polite on it.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

If guest cancels after check in time then they wouldn't be entitled for any refund, even the cleaning fee. The only problem I could think about is that if guest causes any damage, the host guarantee is not going to cover it since there's no reservation active. 

Legally, you have all the right to call the cop to kick them out since they don't have a valid reservation active. If I were in such situation I would ask them to make another reservation IMMEDIATELY and then refund the cancelled one that will make everything smooth. Give them a hard deadline (say, 4 hours) and let them know you need to take action if they are not cooperating since there are a lot of liability issues. Be honest and polite on it.

That is exactly the approach I took. However, they didn't respond by the deadline I set, so I sent a friend over to check (still assuming good intent on the guest's part). Once my friend talked to them, they did send a new reservation request. However, they still stayed the night and can of course no longer reserve it - so my worry now is even if they pay for that the insurance policy technically wouldn't cover damages for that first night. Perhaps AirBnb support can backdate the reservation, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting any help from them at all honestly.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

IMO, the minute the guest cancelled, they should have vacated.  IMO, their intention, evidenced by their having stayed in your property, was to scam you and stay as long as they could without payment.  If they do in fact have a new, paid for and accepted reservation that does not include the first night, then you are SOL regarding any damages for that first night.  The insurance would never be backdated for a night that you "permitted" a guest to stay after the cancellation was in place.  @Alex7245 you were very nice to allow the guest to make a new reservation but next time, if a guest cancels after check-in, get them out ASAP.