Has anyone requested guests to let you know if they check out early? I'd love to know so I can get a jump on the room with the next guest arriving in a few hours.

Tonya80
Level 2
Meridian, ID

Has anyone requested guests to let you know if they check out early? I'd love to know so I can get a jump on the room with the next guest arriving in a few hours.

10 Replies 10
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Tonya80   I have never asked personally as I don’t like to bother guests.  However I do message them the day before checkout to remind them of our checkout time and other details.  Sometimes they will let me know what time they are leaving.  Generally speaking, even if they say they are leaving early something may come up that delays their departure so you can’t just bank on getting in early.

Good point, thank you for the response.  😊

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Tonya80 

I do ask guests to send us an ABB message, in our book with info about our place, when they check out. We live on the property, but sometimes people still leave without saying goodbye or messaging. We like to go in and check for items left behind, and the condition, right away.

Ted & Chris
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I message our guests the night before saying that I hope they’ve had a nice stay and thank them for booking with us.

I also take the opportunity to remind them that checkout time is 11am and that the checkout info is in the folder on the kitchen counter.   I ask them to ping me a message just as they’re leaving - most do. 

That sound's perfect.  That's just what I was looking for, what a great idea!  Thank you!! 💕

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Tonya80 

Same as @Amanda660, I have a scheduled message at 7pm night before checkout reminding them of check out and asking politely when they plan on checking out.  We frame the message as we would like to see our guests off and hear how their experience has been.  We also ask them to sign the guest book.  We also offer to take a picture of the guests with their camera for Memory purposes.  It usually gets a laugh, when I tell them its free, not like a resort in a tropical resort. Of over 50 guests, this tactic has only missed once, but the guest was all about avoiding the host at all costs.

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

We make it a policy for the guest to give us their arrival time and departure time along with the name of each occupant.  Because the majority of our guests are coming in from the airport on their way to somewhere else in the state, we've found it is helpful to know when they are arriving and departing. Our onsight manager can be assured the car/s coming onto the property are legit and, will remain awake to help to assure they are able to get into the unit.  After red-eye flights, there are those who can't read/or follow the instructions we've sent to them.  

The check-in time is after 4 p.m. but if we have guests who have said their plane arrives at 1 a.m. - we move the housekeeping of their apartment to after one that guests are waiting to get into at 4.  

If guests are arriving quite late, we also may add breakfast items/coffee, knowing they haven't had time to go to the grocery store before their arrival.  Or if the guests are leaving extremely early for a bus or train journey, we can make sure we add some take-away snack items in bags they can have with them on their journey.  

We have found this policy extremely helpful, too, if a guest says they are arriving at 11 a.m. and check in is after 4 p.m., it gives us the opportunity to remind them of the check-in time; where they might want to spend those few hours, grocery stores to stock up, etc.  

Louise1073
Level 6
San Diego, CA

I have a little sliding sign next to the entrance door. It slides to either "busy" (red) or "vacant" (green). I let the guests know at check-in they are welcome to use this when they leave to signal the room is ready to be cleaned, most of them seem to like the gimmick and will leave it set to green when they leave.

@Tonya80 if you put in keyless entry then you will be notified when they leave kinda sorta. If their check out time is 11am let's say and there is an exit entry at 10am, you could always text them with a tactful message asking if their gone after giving it a few minutes lol.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Having a security camera pointed at front door shows me when they leave with suitcases in hand. Yes, I show security camera in my house description, as required