Having Hard Time With Review

Jesse101
Level 2
Benkelman, NE

Having Hard Time With Review

Hello everyone. My husband & I have used Airbnbs for years (8?) and have for the most part have had positive experiences until our most recent trip. We paid $1600 including a pet fee for a five night stay at a cabin with the major feature of a beach access with kayaks, etc. The first day that we got ready to go to the beach I noticed the beach rules listed on the fridge - NO DOGS ALLOWED ON BEACH 7a - 7p. Whaaat?? We had just got done driving 4 days so that our dogs cd be on vacation w us. We take them everywhere with us and even if we wanted to leave them, it wasn’t possible as the other rules stated dogs must be crated if left. We had not intended to leave them so of course we didn’t have a crate. That’s actually beside the point as our dogs are like our kids and we intended to spend the time with them. When the host checked in, I explained my disappointment and why. He was very apologetic that it had not been mentioned in the listing. Mind you, I obviously wd not have booked the place had we known. So the entire time we were unable to use the beach except for one time when we went down at 7. Sooo, $1600 down the drain. This is a pretty big bummer as we’re on a fixed income and had to save quite a while to afford the trip. The host didn’t offer to refund a penny. Now it’s time to leave a review. I have NEVER left anything but 5 stars and it is bugging me as to what I should do. Please, would you share your thoughts as to what you would do? 

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jesse101 in the UK many beaches are dog free especially in the summer. If the US is similar perhaps you could have checked the beach rules before travelling?

It should of been disclosed to you since it was known you are bringing pets. Your question could be the review

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Jesse101  I definitely understand your disappointment because dogs are family. If it had been me, I still would have taken fur babies to the beach for a romp every single day after 7 pm. I understand the beach restrictions because I wouldn’t want to be lying out on the beach while dogs were running around, whether leashed or not. Also, since your dogs go everywhere with you,  there was no need for a crate. Maybe you meant to say that when you leave them alone at your home, they’re not crated. 

Did you ask host for a refund? Even though he was very apologetic, he can’t read minds. And since neither of these things was in the listing, I would have asked for a partial refund or contacted airbnb. 

Now on to the review. This should not be given a five star review because you paid for a vacation that you did not get to enjoy to its fullest due to your disappointment. Your review can be worded similar to what you wrote here. A shorter version:

The cabin was very (your words here), but our biggest disappointment was the rules related to pets that were not disclosed in the listing. When I selected this rental, it was based on being able to share this precious time with our dogs. We were restricted to taking dogs to beach after 7 pm and dogs had to be crated if left alone. We definitely would not have chosen this rental if these rules had been disclosed in the listing. We learned an expensive lesson—ask tons of questions when traveling with our pets in the future. 

If it were me, I would rate based on value (the amount you paid compared to what you got) and communication (rules not in listing). I do wish you or your husband had made it clearer that you wanted some monies back (maybe pet fee) due to this.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would have checked with the host before booking @Jesse101 , or checked the website for the beaches in the area as many beach areas don't allow dogs on the beach during the day over the summer

in your situation I would leave a review based on whether the listing was as described as your host has no control over rules for how the beach was used

you could note in your review that pets aren't allowed during the day in summer months 

You are absolutely right and I think a point to note here is that this was our first beach visit; had I done my due diligence I would’ve thought as you did and asked tons of questions. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jesse101 

When you booked your stay did you specifically tell the host that you were looking forward to spending all day at the beach with your dogs? If so, that would have been a great opportunity for the host to tell you that dogs are not allowed on the beach. But if not, I don't think the host is expected to assume the guest's entire vacation schedule and list every single disclaimer which may affect it. Was the beach affiliated with the rental? Did the host make the rule? Many beaches do not allow dogs. The same goes for hiking trails. I would expect a guest to research which trails they can bring their dog on piror to their trip. 

Mention it in the review. "FYI for those traveling with dogs - the beach does not allow dogs from 7am - 7pm." But I wouldn't feel as those the host is to blame, espically if the beach is not allifiated with the rental. And I certainly wouldn't expect any kind of refund. 

The beach is definitely associated with the rental AND the rules were clearly posted on the fridge - but not the listing. 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

As a dog owner I understand the disappointed but as a guest bringing a pooch(es) I would suggest that due diligence would have been the way to go.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jesse101   That's unfortunate, and I commend you for not crating/wanting to crate your dogs.  But, the host is not in control of the beach rules, and if this was a deal breaker, you should have checked yourself about the rules on dogs as a lot of places no longer allow dogs on beaches in high season.  I would not ding the host if everything else was great, but mention in private feedback that since its a pet friendly listing the information on dogs at the beach should be included.  You could mention this also in your review and this info. would be a help to future guests.  But knocking down the stars seems unfair since this isn't the host's property or host's rules.  

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Jesse101 

If its a public beach the rules would have been out of the host control.  Most of the beaches in our area have been restricting dogs in the daytime in the summers for over 20 years. In our area its mostly because people don't clean up after them, just kick sand over poop, tide comes in and surf area has dangerous levels of bacteria for swimmers. 

I'm afraid I was guilty of this as well back when I had a dog. We traveled everywhere, every major city, and never once leashed my dog. He was so well behaved no one ever said anything. 

Only once in Pittsburg we had a run in with the police. We were just sitting down at a park and a cop walked up behind and started cussing us out, put me up against a patty wagon, went though my pockets, and the other cop was squeezing my neck really hard, all for just one little smirk. So I ran, which was really stupid, but they know how to make you run, managed to break away then lose them, and my dog waited for me where I left him. 

For this though, you could just send message to the host. They are doing guest a favor allowing their pets. Most other guest with pets may also have been fine going to the beach at 7pm. That isn't reason for a refund or negative review. 

Although I get it. I bought a lot at a beach back when I had my dog, and a few months later they imposed the beach restrictions for dogs during summer. I walked my dog twice a day so was upset at the time, but was very idealistic and set in my ways when I was young. We also stayed mostly at camp ground when traveling, which I still prefer. So just don't think its fair to punish host for how dog friendly the area is. 

My dog had his own bed and think other travelers with pets should have their own supplies and dog bedding. I've considered allowing pets but never considered the beach restrictions being potential issue, but have a pet already means more restrictions when traveling. One of the reasons I didn't get another pet was that I wanted to fly more although haven't done much of that.  

Jesse101
Level 2
Benkelman, NE

Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback. I just want to clarify the beach was clearly associated with the rental as the top feature. The rules were clearly stated on his refrigerator. Apparently he did not read these same rules.