Hello there,

Juliet42
Level 2
Manteca, CA

Hello there,

I’m Juliet, I’ve been hosting on Airbnb since 2017 in good standing, and I WAS a super host until June of 2022! In 2022, I switched to long term hosting, meaning, long stays for a month or more. I have guests booked for 3+ months straight! This dropped my number of bookings to less than 10, and a host with a rating of 4.9, zero cancellations got dropped off the ‘super host’ list. I’m planning to move to other platforms where they honor and recognize hosts for what they do! Thanks for your time!

Best, Juliet

6 Replies 6
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

The criteria is that you have to host for 10 stays OR 3 stays with 100 nights over the past year. So, even if you had a guest for 3 months straight, you should still reach Superhost if you had 2 other guests totaling 10 or so additional days over the past year. I believe they added the 3/100 rule to enable hosts like you to qualify for Superhost.

You mentioned the possibility of moving to other platforms. That may make sense if you want to host long-term stays on a regular basis. Airbnb doesn’t really provide the payout structure, security deposit structure, lease contract availability, and ability to perform credit/background checks necessary to protect you adequately. This isn’t a criticism of Airbnb; it’s just not where they have chosen to focus their business. There are other platforms that have more of a long-term stay specialization, with the associated host and guest protections.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Juliet42 

@Pat271 is correct. You either have to host a minimum of 10 stays a year, or a minimum of three stays totalling at least 100 days. So, it is possible to host long term stays and still achieve Superhost status.

How many stays did you host between July 2021 and June 2022 and what was the total number of nights? From your reviews, I see that you had a number of guests in November and one in December, but there are no reviews before or after that within the assessment period. 

Of course, you might have hosted guests who did not leave a review and their stays will still count towards the criteria, but if none of your guests checked out before 30th June 2022, then it does look like their nights won't count until the following assessment because, from what I understand, the total is for 'completed' stays.

If that's the case, then it's just bad luck really, but hopefully you will regain the status at the next assessment. I see you have a review from July (the first once since November), so assume that was from a long term guest.

@Huma0  It’s unfortunate that stays have to be completed in order for the associated days to count. I wonder if there are hosts who ask long-term guests who span Superhost review periods to make 2 bookings so that completed days will count.🤔😏

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pat271 

I've never actually thought about that, but it's a really good idea. 

It's too late now, but I have a repeat guest who previously booked a 5.5 month stay and is coming back for another six months, which she will probably extend to nine, once she knows her final college dates.

I may well ask her to make a separate booking for that extra three months. It's not just the number of nights, but the fact that when you host long term stays you have less reviews and therefore one low rating can really hurt you.

That is why I lost my Superhost status after years. One guest left me 3 stars. That's all it took. Had my guest who nearly stayed six months split her stay into 6 x mostly ones (she would have still received the same discount and is paying monthly anyway), and left me reviews each time (she gave me a glowing one), I would still be a Superhost.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pat271 

PS if that guest had checked out a couple of weeks later, e.g. asked to extend her stay a bit, none of those nights would have counted at the assessment!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Juliet42 

PS, have you looked into the legalities of hosting long term in your area, e.g. tenants' rights? I have been hosting long term stays for ages and it's never happened to me, but do you know where you stand if you get a guest that refuses to leave, or simply stops paying?

Airbnb collect payments for long term stays on a monthly basis and only take the first month's payment upfront, and, if they are unable to collect from the guest after that, e.g. if the guest cancels the payment method used, they will tell you it's not Airbnb's responsibility to pay out.