Help! Airbnb always siding with guest! need advise

Rebecca860
Level 2
Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Help! Airbnb always siding with guest! need advise

I have had 2 experience with my airbnb listings that are so incredible frustrating and would love advise from any experiences hosts out there! 

1. A guest came to my beach house and complained of spotty wifi. I was at the home within 10 minutes and reset the modem only for it to go off later. the untility company came out on a weekend (after I paid extra) and said it was the overuse due to Covid and they were having outages. They confirmed that my equipment was the best you can buy and that my connection was good. It was their problem and they were trying to fix. the guest demanded 20% back for a weekend with spotty wifi. Also, on day 1, she sends a photo of a cockroach in the drawer saying that "no problem, I'm not complaining but I just thought you should know." We have never had cockroaches and have the property treated monthly for insects. I don't believe it was real because after they moved out, I couldn't find ANY evidence of cockroaches. The drawer was an empty drawer in the kitchen...so basic common sense....if you found a cockroach in an empty drawer, would you dare touch it to throw it away? NO! You would leave it there and close the drawer right? So a case is opened and airbnb NEVER contact me other than through email and I submit photos and everything they request and plead for them to call me.  They only call her.  then I just got a notification today that they have refunded her 50% of the reservation!!!  PLUS the cleaning fee!  $680!!  I was there 5 times to reboot the internet for her and she NEVER once mentioned anything about cleanliness. My properties are pristine and newly remodeled and spotless!   Why does airbnb side with the guest every time? 

2. A different property...The guest checked out and the cleaner came and reported the home stunk of smoke and pot.  We have strict rules about smoking ANYTHING in the home. A new guest was to arrive in 4 days so we just decided to let it air out. then the housekeeper went to to get the laundry from the dryer a few days later and the home was trashed! She sent photos.  I got on our security camera and saw that the guest had returned that night (after they had checked out and it had been cleaned) they stayed there for a night or 2 and completely trashed the home. Airbnb did not have my back and after a month of jumping through hoops, they said I'm not covered under their policy because the damage happened outside of the rental period. I wish they would just have the guest buy insurance like vrbo does with CSA so we don't have to go through this every time. In all my 7 years, I've NEVER had airbnb side with me for damages.  Just the guest. Does anyone have the guest buy a separate policy?  airbnb is supposed to have a deposit from the guest, they have their credit card information.  We do not. We are helpless. Please let me know if anyone has wisdom on this.  Thanks!!

3 Replies 3
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Rebecca860  With a guest such as the first one, when you strongly suspect they are angling for a free stay/refund by way of engineering complaints or inventing vermin issues, it's best to insist they vacate immediately and have Airbnb find them somewhere else to stay. Better that than have them continue to stay and Airbnb refund them later. 

Re the second guest, how on earth were they able to access the house after check out? I can see Airbnb washing their hands of that, as it was no longer an active booking. Did these people break in or did you not remove access? If you had not removed their ability to access, that is your responsibility. If they broke in, well that's a police matter.

What is your guest vetting process? You may need to fine tune it a bit to prevent guests like this from even getting in the door.

@Rebecca860 

I have the same question that @Colleen253  has concerning Your story #2: How did Your guests get back into Your listing after having checked out? Was the listing unlocked? Were the windows wide open to air the place?

Stacy37
Level 3
Telluride, CO

Agreed, they give lip service to protecting hosts but they always side with guests and make you jump through hoops if you make a claim on the guests deposit. Then they threaten to suspend your account if you complain