Help with Review

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Help with Review

I'm having trouble finding the balance between being honest and not nit-picking.

- Guest requested a reservation for 8 guests, which is our max.

- Guest responded to initial request for more info (who's coming & the purpose of their trip & if there are pets), so request was approved along with a message about keeping it down for the neighbors.  After that, no response to pre-check-in message a few days before arrival confirming #s, & giving check-in details. No response to any  message, including one I  sent the day after check-in on app and as a text to the phone# she provided, informing them of a wildfire that was reported overnight just a few miles from the house and that I would keep them informed in case of an evacuation. (not a big deal, but I was a little surprised it wasn't even acknowledged)

- Disclosed cameras at entrances observed lots of people coming & leaving, but not staying (probably a few family groups meeting up at our house for their daily outing and then going to their accommodation to sleep. This is within our rules). They also returned one evening with several pillows from our couch and several blankets from our beds in a large hamper from our house. (Our guess is they took them for a day at the lake) 

- Our 1 request upon checkout is that they take out their kitchen garbage (so as to not attract insects/mice). Not only was the garbage left full, but several full bags of garbage were left in the laundry room.

- Guests did not speak English with one another, which I mention only because it might explain the lack of communication and failure to follow checkout instructions.

- When I asked my cleaner how the house was left, she said "very dirty. Things thrown all over. Makes sense if there were a lot of people with kids." She mentioned terrible smells from the dishwasher. In 2 years of stays, she's only ever said, "looks good." 

- Nothing was damaged/broken. They weren't loud or disturbing the neighbors and generally seemed like nice people, enjoying time with family.

These guests aren't "bad" guests, but they aren't a good fit for every host/house.  What would be a fair review that gives hosts a heads up and still recognizes that for some places, they're totally reasonable guests?

Thanks in advance,

Lenore

53 Replies 53

@Kristina46  you forgot the zinger... "would suggest they stay in a hotel next time"

i'm guessing only hosts realise what a BURN this truly is, haha, like the southern "bless your heart".

I personally don't like the "better suited for a hotel" line. It's just a cop out and doesn't give other hosts any details about why the guest was bad. 

I agree but even having this in house rules and communication of this no undisclosed guests allowed  with the guest we had one last weekend, not only had an unnamed guest gave her the code to access the property. How do you handle this better? Once they have been admitted it’s my understanding you Jan ego grin and bear it. 

Grin and bear it sorry 

@Kristina46 'no people off the reservation ' might not go down too well either. Language is a funny thing for sure.H

Or just reword it. I have in my listing: 

"Only confirmed and approved guests may be in the apartment or on the property at all times. No exceptions."

Lenore22
Level 10

My review didn't even make a difference. She split her stay with another local place... Even her ratings didn't take a hit! How is it that 1/3 of her reviews are not great and she has 5 stars in all categories? We got a 4 star review when we had only 10 reviews that dropped us to 4.92--- where it has stayed despite almost 60 additional 5 star- reviews (I really don't care, but the math makes no sense to me. I should at least be up to a 4.94 by now... So stupid)

Honestly, if I saw this, I'd just think the one host was being nit-picky. Especially since she has 5 stars across the board. (I rated 1 for cleanliness, 2 for communication, 3 for rules)

Screenshot_20220706-092727.png

Did she leave you a review? I think it may take a while to see the lower rating reflected in the stats. She may not be able to instant book if you left her a thumbs down. 

The only thing I would have said maybe was "Once the reservation was approved, we communicated important info to them about hazardous conditions in the area and we never got a response."

Lenore22
Level 10

She left me a great review. I feel a little bad, but not really after reading the feedback here.