Host cancellation after April 14th

Priscilla171
Level 2
London, GB

Host cancellation after April 14th

Dear all,

Almost all my bookings have been cancelled a part from one in May and one in June. Now, I found someone who would move in long term starting virtually from tomorrow and, although long term is not my ideal situation, I'm in such difficulty (unpaid mortgage and so on) after so many vacant weeks that it would be godsend. As you know Airbnb allows us to cancel penalty free only the bookings with check ins up to April 14th. So I'm here considering what I should do. I would hate to lose the super host status I have worked so hard for. And, by the way, those two bookings are the last ones I can accept this year (I'm in London and we're only allowed to host 90 nights a year).

Is anyone facing the same dilemma or has some suggestion? Do you think that calling them and explaining might produce any result? 

Thanks in advance and good luck to us all 

xxx

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Priscilla171 

I think a two pronged approach of contacting them to see if a mutual cancellation is acceptable - probs will be.

Failing that take the long term rental and, if the EC policy doesn't get extended cancel unilaterally and take the relative small financial hit.

Yes I think I'll do that, though in case of unilateral cancellation is the super host status removal that I'd be upset about not much the fine...

Thank you so much for you input

Jay181
Level 3
Minneapolis, MN

Yes, try to get the guest to agree to a mutual cancellation, with full refund to guest, no penalty to either of you, get it documented in the reservation messages. Then contact the help center.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact-us/topic >Reservations
They helped me mutually cancel a 30 day  reservation with strict cancellation 3 weeks before checkin for a guest that had broke  both ankles & had to get back to Canada.

They helped to cancel it, with no super host penalty.

Alright, I'll write to them both now and let's see how it goes... Thank

you so much!

@Priscilla171   Airbnb has suspended the 1% cancellation max for Superhost status due to the current crisis - https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-for-superhosts-about-the-coronavirus-160

So if your guest aren't amenable to canceling on their end, and you do end up choosing to cancel yourself, you should theoretically be able to keep your SH badge. You might be on the hook for the penalty fee, though that's a small price to pay for having an immediate tenant during a time when short-term bookings are almost impossible.

Ok guys, I think I'm going to try this. Let's see how it goes, I'll report back with updates for others. You've been brilliant and I thank you all for this invaluable information. xxx