Host cancelled - Help needed !

Alexander1267
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Host cancelled - Help needed !

Hi,

I would really appreciate any assistance with this unforeseen problem with our Airbnb host.

This is our first time using Airbnb.

We originally booked in February 2020, for a holiday (2 Adults and 2 Children) in Majorca in July 2020.

Then Covid-19 struck in March and we were not allowed to travel due to UK Government restrictions in 2020.

Airbnb gave us a "voucher" which we used to book the same holiday for 2021.

2021 and again we were unable to travel due to ongoing restrictions, our host happily re-booked us for July 2022.

All ok so far..

Then last week (February 2022) our host emails to ask if we will be going on holiday this July and we responded saying "absolutely, really looking forward to it, hopefully no further problems this year".

The next day.. she cancels our holiday.!

We were absolutely devastated.

She used the excuse that "because we hadn't been for the last two years, she felt we wouldn't go this year".

Totally unfounded and unjustified reasoning from our host, as it was completely out of our control that the UK Government stopped non-essential travel during the pandemic.

We believed the real reason she decided to cancel was because she could get vastly more money this year, than pre-Covid prices, which we paid in early 2020.

Her decision is not only morally bankrupt but has now left us in a situation where we have flights booked with British Airways, for a nonexistent holiday. Time booked off work, taxis to and from Airports, everything.

We contacted Airbnb and explained the situation. 

Initially we were told we could chose another property but there are zero alternative Airbnb properties in the area, as they are all fully booked.

The Airbnb "Voucher" is practically worthless and we are seeking a full cash refund so we can hopefully book a Holiday using an alternative method.

As I first time user of Airbnb, I cannot begin to describe the disillusionment we feel as a family.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexander1267 

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. If there is nothing available for you to book instead, I think the only thing you can do is to press Airbnb for a refund. 

I was always against this whole voucher system (and many other hosts were vocal about this when it was introduced) as it was a lose-lose situation for the hosts whose bookings were cancelled contra to their advertised cancellation policy, meaning they didn't see a penny of it and potentially problematic for guests who were then unable to rebook for one reason or another. The only party it clearly benefited was Airbnb. I wonder how much money they made from unused vouchers...

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Alexander1267  Sorry this happened to you. “We believed the real reason she decided to cancel was because she could get vastly more money this year, than pre-Covid prices, which we paid in early 2020.” 

A host can’t just cancel and re open the dates to new bookings. There are penalties for cancelling, including the dates being blocked to new bookings. See below.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/host-penalties-for-cancelling-reservations

The host could re book them through another platform, but the other penalties incurred on Airbnb are heavy enough to be a deterrent to cancelling. Having said that, there does exist some leeway for cancelling Instant Book reservation penalty free. The leeway is small though. 

Regardless, rather than try to secure another Airbnb, you might want to book a hotel instead, and sort the rest out later. It could take some time. Airbnb CS is not stellar these days. It may take time and persistence. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Alexander1267 

Sorry this happened to you. Airbnb is simply a listing platform just like any other holiday lettings platform and has no control over what hosts do. They may have cancelled because they got a better offer or may genuinely have thought you might not travel.

As there is no alternative Airbnb accommodation in your chosen resort, then why not consider staying in another resort on the island to give you more choice. I think it's unlikely there is no Airbnb accommodation left in the whole island (you may need to pay any additional costs if its more expensive than your original accommodation). 

Alternatively book a hotel or alternative self-catering through another provider and use your Airbnb voucher for a UK stay?