Host cancelled same day

Katia360
Level 1
Vermont, United States

Host cancelled same day

I recently booked a four night stay. I made the res the night before so granted it was a last minute request. Reservation was accepted, my card was charged, but woke up to a message saying my reservation was cancelled (less than 12 hours to check in at this point). I ended up with pretty much no money to make an alternate reservation as the refund takes 3-5 days. I ended up with $180 in overdraft fees and my dad very generously booked me a hotel for these same dates (costing roughly $500, the original res was closer to $200). I also had to ask for help from my mom to be able to afford food with my money tied up like this. The reason I was given by the host is that airbnb had relisted his property without his knowledge. The only compensation I was offered was a $15 voucher applicable to a reservation of equal or greater value, essentially unusable by me because at this point I can't rely on airbnb if I'm going to get cancelled same day. I sent a message to air bnb via bug report (closest thing I could find to my situation considering the listing allegedly being put up by air bnb, not the host). Have not received a reply. My mom also sent an e-mail. Is there any way to receive monetary compensation for this or am I on my own? This is more than an 'inconvenience' for me as the host implied, as I am effectively homeless in the middle of winter. I had initially tried to reserve another room with the voucher, which could not be applied because the base reservation was lower than the other, even though the total was more, for less nights (I knew it would overdraft and I would be paying $60 extra to make this res) but the host rejected the request citing coronavirus restrictions. Just wanted to throw out that I did attempt to rebook through airbnb. What can I do?

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Katia360 

It seems very unlikely to me what the host is stating "that airbnb had relisted his property without his knowledge". If so then it is up to Airbnb to confirm this and compensate you. But contacting Airbnb CS is not easy these days and you probably will end up in a carousel of messages, leading nowhere.

Maybe try a DM to Twitter (account: AirbnbHelp).

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I guess the moral of the story is, Don't leave it till the day before to book! - Many hosts have permanent blocks on same day/ day before bookings, prefering more warning, so you are really restricting your options by booking the day before...

A good tip: Send future hosts an inquiry before you book! - Just to introduce yourself & check that they really are accepting bookings, and that it's not a mistake that the calendar is open! FWIW I have heard hosts here in the CC saying they blocked their calendar, but somehow a booking went through! So don't be too hard on your host, Airbnb has a glitchy platform!

- Not sure that Airbnb is the best option if you're homeless, the commission charged makes it an expensive option imo, is there a site which advertises for roommates where you are? Might be cheaper, & let you stay longer?

@Emiel1 

Sorry about this situation.

You had bad luck but many problem could arise as the place is not free or the host not available (calendar mistake).

You are a newbie.
Airbnb is not like the hotel. I would not do an instant booking on a 1 day notice. Too risky.

Try to book a few days before arrival and send a request for information (not for reservation) to be sure the place is fine to you.
 Communication is the key success of a nice stay on Airbnb.

Carlisle2
Level 2
Eastern Cape, South Africa

Hi I made a booking yesterday the host then accepted my reservation and confirmed booking. 2min later I get a email to say that these dates have been booked already, but the house was available on the site which makes no sense and the host could not cancel the booking on her side and I had to cancel it. It’s my first time booking on airbnb so I’m not familiar with the cancellation and all that. I cancel and now I have to wait 10-15 days for my refund  of which I have no idea if I’m going to get a place for that time, which is October for my wedding day. There are only 2 houses listed in the area.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Carlisle2 DO NOT CANCEL. If you do you will lose the service fee that you have paid as a minimum. If the host cannot accommodate you it is their responsibility to cancel. They should get fined and have the dates blocked as a penalty.