Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Travel Tales: Share Your Nostalgic Travel Memories!

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Travel Tales: Share Your Nostalgic Travel Memories!

SF_1115402_Laura-Flippen_-5724.jpg

Hey Community 👋

Today is International Youth Day and so we wanted to take a moment to reminisce about our most nostalgic and memorable trips or holidays, from our younger days! 🎉 

We all have those cherished moments that still bring a smile to our faces and warm our hearts. Whether it's an unforgettable adventure, a heartwarming encounter, or a hidden gem of a destination, we want to hear your stories! 🌟🌴

Share the travel experiences that have left a lasting impression on you. 

To kick us off, I’ll share one of mine: When I was a young child, we moved to Corfu, Greece for about 6 months. I was much too young to remember any of our time there as I was around 3 or 4 years old. Fast forward to 2013, we went on holiday with my mother to Corfu, whilst I was expecting my first child. That trip was the most beautiful and heartwarming journey for us because my mother would tell me her stories and memories of when we shared that really special time together. She would speak of the friends that we made, the places we visited and even where ‘home’ was for that short 6 months. To see the happiness and joy that being in Corfu brought her was the most unforgettable trip for me.

I can't wait to hear your amazing stories too! 
Rebecca 💖 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

4 Replies 4
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can't be alone in having some beautiful travel memories? 😬

@Robin4@Fred13@Kitty-and-Creek0 and @Patricia2526 - do you have any more beautiful stories to share with us? 😍

Whether it's a memorable holiday/vacation, a heartwarming encounter with locals, or a breathtaking view that will forever be etched in your mind, we want to hear about it! 

-----

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca 

We had a big day, it was August 1999, Edinburgh was in full swing, the festival was on! I would love to say Adelaide's Festival of Arts rivaled it.....but here we were in Edinburgh half a world away.

Before we left home in Adelaide South Australia an English mate of mine said...."If you only get to do 2 things in England go visit Warwick Castle, and have a beer in The Deakin Brodie on the Royal Mile".  I had a lot of respect for Tony's judgement, so I made sure I followed up on his suggestions!

As I said we had a big day arranging our stay at Dorothy's B & B, taking in the shops on Princess St and checking out the Castle all decked out for the night time Military Tattoo.

By 7.00pm Ade had had enough, so Sarah and I bundled her onto a 9C bus back to Dot's B & B and I said to Sarah........"I promised Tony if I got to Edinburgh I would have a beer on Carlton Hill and check out a pub called ....'The Deakin Brodie'!".  

We armed ourselves with a couple of 6 packs and made our way up to this Roman looking stone structure on the highest hill overlooking the city. There were three Canadian guys who had the same idea as us so we pooled our alcohol resources told each other tall stories and, in the twilight, sat there and watched the massive banks of floodlighting gradually overtake the city.......

Carlton Hill Ediburgh 1999.png

As darkness descended (which at that latitude in mid August doesn't happen till about 10pm) me made our way down through masses of street performers to The Royal Mile, absolutely packed with ticket holders lined up for the Tattoo at the castle. 

I found the Deakin Brodie, a cute centuries old pub, Sarah and I sat at the bar, I was about to order a drink and a Scottish lad next to us said...."Where are you folks from" ...... I said to him......"A long way away mate, Australia!  With that he said....."This ones on me"! His mates seemed to come out of nowhere, we had a wonderful 3 hours and we never got the opportunity to put our hand in our pocket and buy a drink all night.

A little bit ashamed to say, I left a bit of DNA in the Scottish countryside the next morning!

One of our wonderful memories of Britain!

Cheers........Rob.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

😍 This is a beautiful memory @Robin4. I have never been to the Edinburgh festivals but it is on the lost of things to do. I have however, walked up to the top of Carlton Hill with the kids in tow to enjoy the city views! 

Tony sounds like he'd have more fantastic recommendations too! Our wonderful @Quincy lived in Edinburgh for a few years. I wonder if he has the same experiences as you! 

We did live up near Inverness for a while and that was fantastic. I adored the Scottish countryside and the wonderful people that we met. 

-----

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca 

Bec, I related that as I remember it, It wasn't till after I posted that I decided to do a bit of fact checking and that pub on the Royal Mile is actually called ..... Deacon Brodie's Tavern. But I just remembered it as the Deakin Brodie!

These young Scottish guys took us to their hearts, I am sure we had a better night than if we had been two of those thousands who lined up to see the Military Tattoo.

We have visited 34 countries over the last 30 years and each trip Ade and I have done we have, combined,  written a book to keep the memories of our experiences fresh in our minds.

Here is the lead page for that 1999 trip!

England trip 1999.png

Sadly all things come to an end and this was the final page of that book, our farewell to our daughter Sarah and London.......

England trip 1999. b png.png

Cheers........Rob.