Host property, but don't own. How should i file taxes?

Jessica939
Level 1
Rosendale, NY

Host property, but don't own. How should i file taxes?

I host some properties, for the owners. I do not rent it from the owners, and then Airbnb it. The owners bought a two-family house and wanted to Airbnb each apartment, they hired me to list it, run it, manage, etc. I am listed on Airbnb as the administrator on both listings, with the owner as co-host. We made $27,000 with 176 reservations, so I am not getting a 1099.

I take the cleaning fee, and then 20% of the payout after the cleaning fee is deducted. I receive the payout to my account, and then transfer the owners 80% of the payout plus our local hotel tax via PayPal. So it appears that I am getting the entire payout on Airbnb's payout summery for the year. 

has anyone gone through a similar situation that can possibly give me an idea of how to handle filing the taxes?

thanks in advanced!

3 Replies 3
Marisa182
Level 8
University Park, MD

Hi Jessica, It sounds like you should get legal advise because it looks like you are making the $27,000.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jessica939 I would think you have to claim the full $27,000 on your incomes taxes but then use your payouts to the owners as a deduction. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As you are earning money that is taxable income and you have some expenses related to the the income, it is a simple report as an independent contractor.  Of course, your tax preparer will be more specific.