Host refuses to cancel reservation they accepted by mistake

Grisel56
Level 2
Rosario, Argentina

Host refuses to cancel reservation they accepted by mistake

I made a reservation for 2021 and the host accepted it by mistake. They asked me to cancel it, I did it by choosing the option that says the host needs to cancel but the host rejected that and asked me to cancel it again, this time choosing an option that would make it seem like I am the one asking for a cancellation. The thing is, if I do that, it's going to charge me service fees which is absolutely unfair, I am not the one who made a mistake. The host is refusing to cancel even after I told them this situation was making me uncomfortable. 

I have reached out to Airbnb Support, spoke to a community member who couldn't help and escalated the situation, an hour and a half ago. Nobody has responded since. I also reached out through twitter, I am also waiting for a reply there.

Has this happened to you or anyone you know? Do you know how long they may take to respond? Do you have any advice??

I am so stressed over this.

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Grisel56 you may well have 48 hours to cancel - check the policy but if you have then you should get all your money back

Are you sure though? Because I did read that all service fees are refundable within 48 hs of booking, BUT the system keeps telling me it's not giving me the money back.

no refund.png

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Grisel56,

How did the host mistakenly accept your reservation?  Are the dates actually unavailable?  If so, then the host should cancel the reservation.  You are not likely to get a quick response from Airbnb customer support.  It may take several weeks before you hear from them.  Do you have travel insurance?

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

The thing is I asked for dates in 2021, the system allowed me to do that, but the host won't actually have access to the property by then. She accepted my request by mistake. I don't have travel insurance, I didn't see that option when I booked the place.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Grisel56 this host is pressuring you because if they cancel Airbnb will penalize them. You are right, this is unfair and very bad behavior on their part. But ultimately they will either have to cancel, or host you-- and they know this. Airbnb CS is very unresponsive right now. In your shoes I would message the host something like "I am not the person who wants to cancel, and I can't cancel without losing Airbnb's service fees. I have contacted Airbnb customer support and have not heard back. If you are not able to fulfill my reservation, please cancel it or arrange for Airbnb to cancel it. Otherwise I will plan to arrive as scheduled. Thank you."

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Grisel56 That doesn't look right and I certainly would not risk a cancellation. As others have said go back to the host (only on Airbnb message system) and ask them to either confirm the reservation or cancel themselves.

She has confirmed it but knows they can't host me so they're asking me to cancel.

@Grisel56 Don't cancel from your side. It is the host's responsibility to have updated calender. I would do as @Lisa723 says. Airbnb will handle it if the host won't cancel. It can take a couple of days but definitely don't cancel from your side :-).