Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host requested I cancel a reservation because they are selling their Airbnb home.

Traci52
Level 2
Altoona, PA

Host requested I cancel a reservation because they are selling their Airbnb home.

I got a message from a host for a reservation I had in March, 2021  saying that I would need to cancel my reservation due to her selling her host home.  She said that I would get a full refund if I canceled the reservation. I indicated to her that I have used Airbnb for many years and had hosts cancel my reservation on three separate occasions and I had received a full refund. I indicated that she should just cancel the reservation and that I would get my money. I then had someone call me from Airbnb trying to pressure me into canceling my reservation and saying I would get a full refund. When I indicated that the host was the one canceling the reservation and that I was not doing so, they seemed to get testy. Can anyone tell me what's going on. It seems very strange. 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Traci52 Your experience is very strange - Are you sure the call was from Airbnb???? If I were you I would ring Airbnb and ask if they called you. If they did explain THEIR rules to them and ask them to reach out to the host and get them to cancel. To cover yourself I would also message the host asking them to cancel as it is them that are unable to host you not vice versa.

Good luck

I am starting to think that perhaps the Host is trying to avoid cancelling this reservation due to negative consequences. I am not sure why Airbnb is getting involved though. I did contact her and she told me she had called and requested the reservation be cancelled and Airbnb said they would handle it. I am not sure why this is so complicated. On my end if I want to cancel I push a button!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Traci52  Don't cancel, why should you have to go through the hassle of chasing Airbnb for the service fee, when the host has stated they want to cancel.  I'm  not sure why they would even care about an Airbnb host penalty if they are selling the property or the measly $50 fine.  I'd write back to the host that you fully understand why they want to cancel, and that they should go ahead and do so ASAP. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Traci52  Definitely the host's responsibility to cancel. If they contact Airbnb to say they are selling the home, so can't host, and provide documentation to that effect, they can get a penalty-free cancellation under the EC policy, which maybe they aren't aware of.

The Airbnb rep you talked to was incompetent.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Traci52 I’ve been in this scenario as a host when a property I was hosting sold. I contacted the guests and Airbnb. Airbnb was willing to cancel my future reservations and contact the guests to offer help with finding other suitable accommodations.