Host requesting $475 after I wanted a refund of $27 for missing amenities

Justyna45
Level 2
Poznań, Poland

Host requesting $475 after I wanted a refund of $27 for missing amenities

Hi all,

I am in a strange situation. I will describe it here as accurately as possible, but please ask questions if anything's not clear.

A few days ago, I stayed at an apartment for one night. From the start it was bad, but I tried to be nice and I didn't want to complain about anything.

The check-in was from 12pm and I let the host know I would be there at 12pm. When I arrived, it turned out that I was given a wrong address. I asked for the correct one and when I received it and went there, it turned out that the apartment was not ready, it was still getting cleaned. I waited on the sidewalk and was let in after 40 minutes. Delays happen, I can understand that, but I was upset that she hadn't notified me about the delay - I would have waited in a cafe and not on a sidewalk on such a hot day.

The apartment was worn down, had a weird moldy smell and I know mold is dangerous, but I figured one night would be fine and I also don't want to make a big deal out of things. Most apartments have minor inconveniences, like a broken kettle or ants or no toilet paper, and I prefer to adapt.

I tried to use the washer, but it was broken. I left to go to the beach, and then to eat, and when I came back I tried to use the washer a few more times with different programs but it always stopped working after about a minute or two, at most maybe 5 minutes. It just made my clothes wet. I managed to open the washer to get my clothes out, the water inside didn't drain and spilled out of the washer. I cleaned it all up. I notified the host that the washer was not working, she responded with "don't worry".

The most important amenity for me is a dedicated workspace because I travel and work remotely. But there was none in the apartment. The host claimed in the listing that there was a dedicated workspace, a private room suitable for working - that was not true. There was not even a desk with a comfortable chair. There was only a dining table in the kitchen with a wooden chair, next to the washer and the dryer. I used the dryer to dry my clothes, and it was so loud that I couldn't work or talk to anyone. This was not suitable for working at all.

Overall, I have always had delightful experiences with Airbnb and this was the only one that was upsetting and that I was disappointed with.

Next day, after I left, I requested a refund of $27. I have spent hundreds of days in Airbnbs and this was the first time I was so upset that I've requested a refund. I don't care that much about $27 but I don't think the host deserves to be paid in full when the stay was as it was and they lied in their listing. The listing still claims that there's a "dedicated workspace".

The host responded 2 days later with a claim that I broke a marble sink. They provided photos of large cracks in a countertop. They are requesting $475 which is a lot to me. I did not cause it. I barely used the sink and I don't think I could break it even if I tried. I would think you need a hammer to break marble. Also the whole apartment was a bit used up so if there was a crack in the countertop before, I would not have even paid particular attention to it and likely dissmissed it as yet another wear and tear.

This appears to be an extortion attempt. But I have never been in a situation like this and I have not taken any photos of the apartment before leaving. I worry that Airbnb might side with the host since they are apparently a 'superhost' though how that's possible is mind-boggling to me.

I am upset that I am accussed of a damage that not only I didn't do but I don't even think is possible. Is the host trying to scare me after I wanted a partial refund?

What happens now? Has anyone been in the similar a situation? Should I notify the police? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reading, any help is appreciated.

29 Replies 29
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 Try to just be honest and calm with your review. Describe the stay before the claim and explain the claim that was made. Also when/if the host reviews you you need to leave a careful response as this is what future hosts willl see when (if) you rent again through Airbnb.

Just one thought. Did you even stay in the advertised apartment given the address issues at the start. If not then Airbnb/the host really cannot claim for damages from you. Perhaps ask Airbnb which apartment was claimed to be damaged.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

This is going to be a difficult review to write. I want to mention the damage claim because I would like to be warned if it happened to anyone else. For example, my mom would be a nervous wreck if it happened to her. But I also know that I have no proof that I didn't do, so I don't know yet how to write about all that. Just received a reminder from Airbnb that it's my last chance to review, so I have to get to it soon.

I think I stayed in the correct apartment. The directions on Airbnb were wrong: both the address and the geographical coordinates. But then when I finally asked the host they gave me the correct address, but they also said that it was still getting cleaned. Others mention the same problems with the address in their reviews. But the apartment in the listing is the same as the one I stayed in.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 Having the wrong address on Airbnb is a major issue and suggests the host is either engaging in a bait and switch or is avoiding local rules with respect to short term rentals.

I guess that the pictures are correct is at least one thing in their favour

@Mike-And-Jane0 I did as you suggested and reached out to Airbnb again and asked them to review the case. I got an email that someone from Airbnb will be in touch soon. I will mention it to them if I get a chance.

Not only this listing is misleading. Their listing on another website lists a sea view and a desk, which is untrue. I am so disappointed by all this. The host is probably as surprised as me that their claim worked.

By the way, the listing now has a different address on Airbnb than before, but still not the correct one. I have no idea what is going on.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 This host is really not helping their case at all. One final thought - Don't give up on Airbnb just because one host is letting the rest of us down!

I expect my account to get suspended if I don't pay, so I might not get a choice. Thank you for trying to help 🙂 

Justyna45
Level 2
Poznań, Poland

Hi @Huma0 and @Mike-And-Jane0 

Just wanted to update you on the case since you stuck here with me through this and I know you could never know if I did cause the damage or not, but at least you gave me the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I got another response from Airbnb. They still think I am responsible for the damage but they no longer demand I pay since this is "the first time that a Host has reported property damage during one of your stays". Airbnb will pay the host from some kind of "damage protection" money. They mentioned that a note of this has been added to my account.

One might think that it solves the case and I guess it's good that they will not try to charge me anymore. But I still don't know what happened, and why Airbnb is convinced I did it. I understand that if Airbnb now thinks I vandalized the property, they don't care if I stay on the platform, they probably even prefer that people like me leave. I am so upset by all this. But it's not like I am being thrown in jail for a crime I didn't commit, so this Airbnb thing should be inconsequential. I need to stop thinking about it and move on. I guess I will never know what happened.

This past week has been awful. I need to book my next place soon, but I am scared of using Airbnb.

Thanks for everything. I appreciate you tried to help me solve this and that you were objective even though you are both hosts so I am sure you feel for hosts that might have had their property damaged. 

Justyna

Below is the message from Airbnb if anyone's curious:

"I’m following up on your Host’s damage reimbursement request.

After careful review of all documentation and related communication provided by both parties, we determined your Host should be reimbursed for the damage. This is the first time that a Host has reported property damage during one of your stays. In this instance, Airbnb’s Host damage protection has been used to fully support your Host.

To prevent further action on your account in the future, please review the Security section of our Community Standards:

airbnb.com/standards

For full transparency, we want you to know that we’ve made a note of this on your account. This is only for internal representatives to see."

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 I don't agree with your characterisation of what Airbnb said to you. I think they have now said that they cannot say if you did the damage or not so they are not charging you but will compensate the host. The record on your account sadly means that if another host does claim you did damage then they will be more likely to believe them over you.

Anyway a generally good result and I hope you continue to use Airbnb and don't face an issue like this again. 

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 Thanks!

It's a better result than still trying to charge me. But no one explained anything, none of the issues I raised were addressed at all, my questions about the note on my account were ignored, even the host's listing still lists a "dedicated workspace" (and a wrong address), and I was asked to review the section about vandalism to "prevent further action on my account" which is not what a normal person not suspected of vandalism needs to do even once, and also not vandalizing people's homes hasn't saved me from this accusation so reviewing the rules will not prevent this happening again.

At most, this is a neutral result because not being liable for damage that one didn't cause is the baseline.

It's possible I am not seeing it clearly yet. It has been some kind of emotional rollercoaster for me and I am still sad. I need to calm down to write the review.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

Yes, it's always best to cool off a bit before writing a review. When I feel angry about something, I find it helps to write it elsewhere, e.g. in a Word document, and then go back to it later. I have found that usually I decide to both shorten and tone down my review!

Try to keep it succinct, factual and unemotional.

Thanks @Huma0 !

I already wrote it: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27455367

I tried to keep it factual. My first draft was more emotional but, as you said, better to tone down that stuff. The host wrote to me to tell me she reported it to Airbnb.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

I think your review is totally fine both in tone and in length.

However, it is possible that the host might be able to get it removed, because you mentioned the dispute case. While the review and content policies do not really specify this, I have heard several times on this CC that Airbnb does sometimes remove reviews that mention a dispute over damages/a resolution request. Let's hope that is not what happens. 

Other than that, I can't see what the host would be reporting you for. There is nothing else that I can see in your review that would be in violation of Airbnb's policies.

@Huma0 

Thank you!

The host wrote they reported it and that I will have to prove that everything I wrote is true. I don't know to which statement they were referring to. I asked which part was untrue, but they didn't respond.

I hope the review stays because I think other travelers should be warned.

Regarding cameras, I didn't know that it was mentioned in Spanish. Should probably be added in English too. If I was a host with cameras in an apartment, I would also text guests to remind them they can turn them off.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 wrote:

@Huma0 

The host wrote they reported it and that I will have to prove that everything I wrote is true.

The host is either making empty threats or doesn't know the Airbnb review policy, which states:

"

If you feel a review is untrue

While we encourage and expect all community members to post reviews that contain objective and accurate information, Airbnb doesn’t mediate disputes concerning the truth of reviews. We expect the author of the review to stand behind the content of their review."

(You can read the full policy here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy).

The host might get lucky and get a poorly trained customer services rep who doesn't actually understand Airbnb policy dealing with the case (it does happen) but it's actually quite hard to have a review removed, even when you can prove there is something in it that is untrue. 

I noticed also that (apart from one listing), the host has quite low ratings, so you're surely not the only person to leave her a negative review/low ratings. If it was that easy to have them removed, then she would surely have a higher score.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justyna45 

By the way, the camera thing is pretty weird, and would also make me feel uncomfortable, but the host did mention it on the listing (albeit in Spanish only) and that you had to turn the camera off for privacy. I am guessing it's there in case of intruders when the apartment is empty...