Hosting: Angry guests after following advice in AirBnB help "Other Options"

Elizabeth1850
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hosting: Angry guests after following advice in AirBnB help "Other Options"

As a host I am following the steps here under Other Options 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2728/what-options-do-i-have-for-cancelling-a-reservation-for-a-pl...

"If you want to cancel a reservation because of COVID-19 that isn’t eligible under our extenuating circumstances policy, message your guest and ask them to cancel the reservation. Host penalties don’t apply to guest-initiated cancellations.

If the guest doesn’t agree to cancel, you can still cancel the reservation, however penalties will apply."

Regarding sentence #1-2

=================

I messaged all my guests and asked the to cancel the reservations. None of the reservations qualify as extenuating circumstances, because the dates are after April 14. Some guests have been willing to do this. Yet to both our surprise when I get the email that says "Issue full refund" and go through that process, AirBnB is keeping funds back from that refund that we as hosts have not had visibility into. We are aware of the 3% that we are charged, but in most (all?) of the host user experiences we are not shown the full price including AirBnB's 15%. Since I had never seen the 15% in any accounting, and also since the button says "Issue full refund" I made false promise to guests that they were getting a full refund. Now those guests are upset at AirBnB for the policy and at me for not knowing.

Suggest: Include full disclosure of the full fee the guest paid on the Reservations tab of the host dashboard.

Suggest: Not calling the button "Issue full refund." Instead, call it "Issue refund minus service fees"

Regarding sentence #3

==================

Since not all my guests will respond to my request to have them cancel (above case), I will need to cancel the other reservations. The dates are over 7 days away so that is $50 out of my pocket for each reservation (About 20). I expect that AirBnB keeps the service fees in this case as well, but this is unclear. And of course my superhost status is gone. I do this out of consideration of the guests: due to the virus affecting our family, the changes in society including shelter in place, work from home, school virtual, and increased health risks and exposure, the single rental we have is no longer available to rent. It is occupied. If I was a guest, I'd want to know. Being turned away from the door with luggage is the worst. So to spare guests from this event, I will pay $50 each. That sounds like the opposite type of behavior you want to penalize.

Suggest: Back off of the penalties to hosts. What about a choice between either loss of superhost or one payment of $50, whichever they choose.

Suggest: In this other options text, include full disclosure of the fees guests will still pay in the event that the host needs to cancel.

Regarding the situation in general

=========================

1. This could be solved on a case by case basis if it was possible to get through to a decision maker through customer service. 

2. Since we cannot solve through customer service, this is worse for AirBnB sustaining their business because we are generating more calls for you. You could have just solved my problem but now you will have 20. You could have had 20 returning customers and 1 committed host, but now not so much.

3. April 14 is a dangerously early day to expect the pandemic to be over. There should be a true no-fault (with permission on both sides) cancellation (service fees fully refunded, superhost preserved, no host financial penalties) and that should exist through multiple months.

23 Replies 23

@Helen3  I don't recall that being the case. What I have always seen on the booking confirmation is only my nightly price,x total booked days, minus the 3% service fee. What the guest paid in total is not on there.

Mary475
Level 2
Boulder, CO

This is horrible! I have upcoming reservations after April 15th but in NY no way this will be contained by then and I own a 2 family and the other unit had a child with an auto-immune disease. The bookings happened way before this pandemic.
i reached out to the scheduled guests and offered them another weekend in the fall but they haven’t responded. I may have to  cancel and I’ve worked so hard to get to where I am in status as a host..and very unclear what kind of fees I will be charged??? It just says “fees” not how much or any detail... I don’t think Airbnb is being fair at all. It’s not safe for hosts. 

Please hang in there NY. We are all of us rooting for you.

@Mary475 @Elizabeth1850 @Helen3 @Sarah977 @Huma0 

There is a petition from Airbnb hosts (17 230 signatures)

https://www.change.org/p/airbnb-airbnb-breach-of-contract-class-action-lawsuit-violate-cancellation-...

Also I send messages to Airbnb admin, (on the french community forum, Airbnb is very active) explaining that with VRBO we have the choice to refund or to give credit to the guests valid 18 months. 

I did that with several guests and quite all of them agreed and thanked me. 

We have to be very active on the community forum to make Airbnb stopped this disastrous politic of 100% for guests, 0% for hosts!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Catherine2252 . I have signed it.

I was looking at the Airbnb UK Facebook page. There are a lot of angry guests on there demanding refunds. Some of these have cancellations that fall within the COVID-19 EC policy, most most have bookings either just before or after these dates. 

It is no surprise that this has happened. If you were a guest that had a trip starting on 13th March or 17th April for example, wouldn't you be angry when you heard all these other guests were getting refunds? Airbnb could have avoided this by implementing a fairer system like VBRO/Homeaway. There are guests commenting that they would have been happy to receive a travel credit, because they can't change the dates of the booking not knowing yet when the new dates would be.

Of course, most guests are totally unaware that it is the host, not Airbnb refunding. They also seem to think that the host gets paid when they book and are just holding on to these funds. Airbnb has, for a long time, communicated to guests in a confusing or far from transparent way (the review system is a prime example) so that the guest has a very skewed perception of how things work. In an extreme situation like this, it is no wonder that these practices have resulted in such chaos.

Hi Catherine thank you for sharing this with us. The EC cancellation policy was a fiasco but now that it exists, my remaining guests are waiting for it to be extended so that their reservation is also included. Is the petition saying AirBnB should not do that extension? The VRBO policy sounds much more sensible, agreed.

I didn't see any of the requests I had / issues in the petition. I guess I am in a different place than most hosts. Let me know if I missed any of these points if they are in there. I would love to sign just as a show of support but I am also hoping the EC policy Will be extended, not that it never existed or gets rolled back. Did I read that right?

(my suggestions from the original post)

a. Include full disclosure of the guest fees on the reservations tab of the host dashboard

b. Change the button to "Issue full refund minus service fees" in the email (instead of "Issue full refund). SO WE DON'T GET YELLED AT

c. When hosts cancel, still penalize them but scale it back for now such as $50 total per year fine or lose superhost this year. Current penalties are very harsh.

d. Correct the advice in the help file "other options" so as to disclose that guests will not get the service fees refunded

1. Create and staff a viable escalation path at customer service from the person who answers the phone, to a decision maker. Our wait time on hold should be our ticket to speaking with a decision maker during that same call.

2. Solve multiple problems at once for a single call. I'm not calling CS about a specific reservation, I'm calling about covid that affects all my reservations.

3. Create a calendar of when these extensions to the no fault covid EC policy will happen.

Sue216
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Air bnb should extend beyond april 14 they should NOT be telling guests if is hosts turning down the refund - I am now getting threatening emails because i have strict cancellation policy - hosts are losing everything! 

This isn’t right or fair we should be allowed to get a refund if we ask for it we both lost our jobs and we have tried to reach out to several people NO ONE ANSWERS US 

The hosts should be understanding and refund people’s money I feel they are trying to make a profit off of others the whole world is in this people lost their jobs I see a lot of people are upset with this come on Airbnb get it together refund our money