How bad Airbnb is

Mike-And-Beth0
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

How bad Airbnb is

Per the cancellation threat I received from Airbnb

Yes go ahead and cancel me.  This site is so unsupportive and stupid in its policy algorithms.  I declined reservations that were attempted a year in advance, all for the same October weekend because of a recently announced event.  My reply was,  “I cannot take reservations for a year in advance because the HOA Board is voting to not allow any AirBnb guests in this luxury high-rise"…because Airbnb is disliked by so many people in my building.  I have 2 condos, both with 100% 5-star ratings and you threaten to cancel me???  Go ahead and I will no longer defend your short-term rentals to the Board.

Mike McWhirter
Super Host

And I was just blocked by Airbnb for posting this to the forum.
2 Replies 2
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Your calendar is open years in advance. If you are unsure of the future of Airbnb in your building why not change your calendar settings to open 3 months in advance? That way guests cannot even attempt to book for next year.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike-And-Beth0  As Emilia pointed out, that's what your calendar settings are for. Why have your calendar open for the indefinite future if you can't accept those bookings?

And there are ways to avoid having to decline inappropriate requests by asking the guests to withdraw the request before the 24 hour window you have to either accept or decline.

Are you aware that if it's an Inquiry rather than a Request, all you have to do is message back? Pre-approval or declining isn't necessary.

And no, you didn't get blocked for posting on this forum. That doesn't happen, unless you are posting spam, or something obscene or discriminatory. What happens is to do with the programming- sometimes when writing a post it "times out" and you get an errror message or the post disappears into cyberspace. It's a good idea to copy your posts before clicking on the Reply button, so you can just quickly paste it back in and try again.

And this is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. Airbnb customer service doesn't read or respond to posts here.