How do I respond to this or can I even get it removed?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How do I respond to this or can I even get it removed?

Just got this: "Treated us different once she realized that we were black threatened to kick us Out and not give us any kind of money back Pictures was not A house definitely a basement apartment which is only a one bed room and mud room"

This guest partied so hard and was so nasty to other guests that they left early.

I am thinking something like: yes, this is an apartment as stated in multiple places in the listing and clear from the pictures. Mona self admittedly never bothered to read it. She has also chosen to have multiple people over and through a party that rocked the neighborhood. She was treated the same way I treat anyone who does that.

28 Replies 28

@Inna22 To be honest, I would try to get this removed since it's attacking your character and implying you are a racist.

It makes me mad to get a lot of unfair/inaccurate reviews.  However, you have a lot of good ones, and this is an outlier, so I don't think too many guests will pay attention to this one.

@Yiwei3 Yes, that’s what I will try to do but should probably post a reply for now or if it doesn’t get removed 

Yes @Inna22 , do reply, even if you get it removed, as long as your review of her is fair it will stand.  Also fill in the "Response From Inna"  in your online reviews with something that lets people know this guest used your lodging as a party house and when you responded to her breaking house rules, she retaliated.  It will be removed if her review is tossed out but if it isnt. it should be enough to let the other reviews speak for your place not this one bad egg, Stay well, JR

@Inna22 

it all starts by being able to respond and resolve an issue before it gets  escalated  to a party or a grievance, not following house rules. The best thing i purchased was a door ring bell video . Monitoring my driveway and clearly stating in my house rules that a video device is present to enforce max car parking  and no events/parties rules has eliminated any such issues. Calling the police as stated and video available  will have proven your case and would have immediately removed this booking  from your account.  It happened to me and airbnb removed it and reimbursed me over $3k for damages. Again u want to catch such issues early and the ring video works like a champ!!  

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 

Threw a party”  But yes, respond & also ask to have it removed. 

in addition to explaining what she did I also say something to future guests. Like “future guests, if you’ll read through our complete description and you’re able to be a good neighbor then we’ll be happy to welcome you to enjoy Chicago in our xxxxx place.”

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I can also add something like: we never met and Mona does not have a profile picture so I do not know her race and she could only make assumptions about mine

Unfortunately there’s a few people who default to playing the race card to cover their bad behavior and hope it intimidates you. Hold your ground and report them to Airbnb. They shouldn’t be allowed on the platform.

Those idiots don’t represent the vast majority of us.

@Christine615 they do not, you are absolutely right. It makes me very sad that people like her hijack the cause by their behavior. I will continue hosting and treat everyone the same but I can see how some people will have a hard time separating one individual from a group with which this individual only have skin color in common thus making the issue worse for everyone. Plus some are just looking for a reason to say- see that’s why I don’t want black people in my house. This kind of behavior is not helping us all move in the right direction.  Plus, in all honesty, I am simply offended by her words 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22   I'm sorry this happened, I'll be interested to see how airbnb chooses to resolve this.  Best of luck.  

@Mark116 I got a no to removal on a first round, got a new case manager today who is escalating it

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

Pictures was not A house

Maybe that was the Airbnb description 'whole house' rather than 'room' which set the expectations?

Classic retaliatory review, containing lies and not resulting directly from anything you did or said, but you as a host will be made to carry the can. Just because the guest can, and judging by the reactions of your other guests - does.

This: She was treated the same way I treat anyone who does that.

and this: we never met and Mona does not have a profile picture so I do not know her race and she could only make assumptions about mine

Might be construed as there was some direct 'treatment' involved and hence some obvious face to face contact causing contradiction. I might phrase it a different way.

Alex-And-Rhea0
Level 10
Hakuba, Japan

I would have called the police. You then have an incidence report which you can submit to Air Bnb as evidence.  I would have also used the video features on my iPhone and recorded the noise and the unwanted guests. Do you have on your house rules the total number of people allowed in the rental? That should be included if you don't. Otherwise, each experience however negative is a lesson to learn.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I would attempt to get this removed. In today's divisive social-political climate the guest is clearly trying to get their demands met based on their race. This is the worst kind of attitude-to impose accusations that stigmatize others through lies and get away with it based on whatever complexion they may have. Privilege and entitlement at it's worst.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

Here is my thing-How does she know you treated her any different if she was only treated one way based on her behavior (as an entitled brat)? Where was her comparison????

I blame an era of racial obsession and liberal identity politics. The more politically correct our world has become, the more social problems have been magnified while leaving the "vultures" to exploit these issues personally.. It is not by coincidence, but design. The sooner people recognize that we are all individuals and not groups, the better.