How do we get more guests?

How do we get more guests?

Hi, I'm Vicky from Canada

Nice to meet you all. Any ideas on how to get more Airbnb guests would be helpful 

Thank you 

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Henrietta-Vicky0 

Hi Vicky, you will find that bookings will be slow until you have some good reviews behind  you, so future guests can assess from those that have previously stayed how desirable your property is to them and how good you are as a host. We all had to start out just like you Vicky, I think I got 11 guest bookings in my first year, now we get that number every 3 weeks.

You have to stand out from the pack, appeal to a certain market so that after seeing what you offer, they don't want to look anywhere else. Being shared accommodation it will be a little difficult for you, guests are concerned about their privacy these days but many hosts here listed shared accommodation and do very well out of it.

I would not start offering up-front discounts! Discounts attract bargain hunter guests who are in general hard to please and don't make good hosting material.

And don't try to be all things to all people.

I don't appeal to young tourists, families, business travelers, party entrepreneurs. I don't provide a sparkling kitchen, a massive double shower. One way or another travelling is stressful and I pitch my listing to guests who want to leave the world behind after a day traveling,  flop themselves into a comfy chair and say.....I am home......I give them some cheese and wine and the right element to just relax.

IMG20211025192206.jpg

Listing photo..png

IMG20171108171352 b.jpg

And as long as I continue to provide that, the guests keep coming.

Vicky, you have to do a bit of work and you do have to be  a conciliatory host. Don't give a guest a reason to look elsewhere and once you get some reviews like these behind you, believe me, the guests will come and it will snowball along!

Current good review B.png

Good luck Vicky.

Cheers..........Rob..

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I noticed that you say "Please don't forget to leave me a five star review."

As a potential guest, I would not be impressed by this. I think it is presumptious and cheeky, and tempting fate. Guests are all to quick to leave low reviews and it is not good practice to demand a five star one.

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Henrietta-Vicky0 , and welcome to the Airbnb community!

I had a look at your listing, and it looks wonderful—warm, clean, and inviting. As a solo female traveler, I’d feel very comfortable booking your place. That being said, I’d love to know a bit more about you and your family, especially since you live in the house as well. It could be a great idea to fill out all sections of your profile, like "Your Profile," "About You," and "What you’re into." These might seem like small details, but they can really add a personal touch that helps guests feel more at ease and makes your home even more appealing to potential visitors.

It’s also helpful to clarify exactly where guests are allowed in the house. Right now, your listing mentions that "the living room, kitchen, and recreation rooms are not shared, they are only for family use." So, where are guests welcome, and what do those spaces look like? If the areas shown in your pictures are accessible to guests, it might be a good idea to note that in the photo captions. Is there a private entrance for guests? How close is the bathroom to the guest room, and how many people share it? Are there any cooking facilities available? Including a floor plan could also help guests better visualize the layout and their access to different areas.

Your mention of the "front and back yard patio with barbecue equipment and patio furniture" sounds great! Is that fully available for guest use? Posting pictures of those areas would be a great addition. It would also be nice to include an exterior photo of the house and some shots of the lake area nearby—showcasing where guests can enjoy an evening walk, for example.

I think @Robin4 's advice was spot on about telling the story of your place. Best of luck with everything—you're off to a great start!

Best regards,

Karen

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Henrietta-Vicky0 😊
Welcome to the community, and thank you for asking this question here!

How is the situation now? Have you found a solution?

Our Hosts shared great advice with you. Did you get a chance to review it?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Warm regards 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Greg2406
Level 10
Rockport, TX

@Henrietta-Vicky0 

All good advise in the responses.   In your listing, it states 2 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms, yet, and please correct me, but you occupy one of the bed and baths.    Maybe be 1 bed, 1 bath in shared space with host?   I would also remove the request for a five star review.    Ask your guests when leaving if they had a great stay, what they liked about your home, would they like to come back sometime.   We offer a discount to returning guests, their friends (first-timers) and family.  This can easily be a 3X return.   

Promotions during festivals, facebook, send to friends and family, post listing on multiple local rental sites, having your own website.    Approach local businesses letting them know you have a space for those traveling into your area.  

Also, maybe consider offering special amenities or services.   We offer specialty menu and custom  meals, wine tastings, special services for anniversaries, graduations, birthdays.   All can be put into your listing.   Do you have a fire pit,...big hit in the fall and spring.    

If you consider offering discounts, perhaps first responders, veterans, those in the armed services.  We do and the word spreads quickly on this.   

Good luck and welcome to the Hosting.