How do you feel about the case manager's power of "cancelling on behalf of hosts" without hosts' consent or knowledge?

Answered!
Albert11
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

How do you feel about the case manager's power of "cancelling on behalf of hosts" without hosts' consent or knowledge?

On Aug 22, 2020, A case manager from AirBnb, Cedrick John, cancelled a reservation two months ago ON MY BEHALF, without even consulting me or letting me know, but only sent a notice afterward. Even the notice did not allow me any chance to respond. It is a CLOSED ticket when I was NOTICED for the first time. Please see the NOTICE message as below.

I was shocked and concerned about such practice. I believe AirBnb is successful because the network it put together of hosts and guests. Both groups should have an equal chance to provide input if there is an issue. AirBnb is supposed to act a platform or coordinator under such circumstances.

However, what Cedrick did really concerned me. The power of a case manager is astonishingly massive and abused. I could not wrap my head around the fact that Cedrick can cancel on behalf of host without host's knowledge or consent, or even knowledge. This creates a huge TRUST issue with HOSTs and AirBnb. The cost of doing business is just too high if there is the uncertainty that a case mgr can go back in time and take hosts' money away without hosts' knowledge or input. Hosts will have to worry about the payout they have already "received" and have to keep an eye on backward cancellations "on behalf of hosts...without hosts' knowledge".

I feel strongly that an AirBnb case manager should not have the power to cancel on behalf of hosts to start with.  It is such an one-sided power and can be easily abused in practice and destroy trust between hosts and AirBnb.  If AirBnb absolutely needs to give its case manager such power, it has to be restrained and balanced.  Hosts should be notified that such decision is coming and should have the chance and lead time to weigh in and share their side of the story.  No "cancellation on behalf of host" decision can be made by case manager without a fair discussion with hosts.

Wondering how my fellow hosts think about this.

Top Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Albert11 I successfully sued Airbnb in small claims court after they clawed back two payments for reservations 18 months prior, with no explanation. Something to consider.

15 Replies 15
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Albert11 Without knowing why the case manager cancelled its hard to say. It could easily be because it was discovered that the guest had used a stolen credit card or it could be because the guest mis-behaved in another stay somewhere. Sure if he sent you a notice after the cancellation he did let you know.

As a matter of interest is the guest still visible on Airbnb? If not then you have probably dodged a fraudulent stay so well done Airbnb.

Thanks Mike-and-Jane0.

I wish that was the case.  I will feel much better and appreciative to the case manager in that scenario.

However, it was quite the contrary.  It was a ligit guest and the booking was completed two months ago.  I wouldn't go to the details but my concern is more about the power and process of a case manager.

This is a trust issue.  Imagine you had a booking two months ago, which was completed and you received the payout and booked as income.  Two months later, for whatever reason, without your knowledge, you received a message from AirBnb support, simply notifying you that they acted on your behalf and cancelled the "completed reservation", refunded 100% of your already "received payout" to guests, who stayed with you "two months" ago.  Regardless of the details of the case at hand, such one-sided power, such black box process, if really concerning to me.  What this means to me as a host, is I have increased uncertainty on my already collected payout and I don't have a say or the cutesy of being noticed before such decision made on my behalf and had materially adverse impact on me as a host.

Just to name a few of the negative impact such one-sided black box decision can have on a host:

1. Uncertainty on your already received payouts
  2. No voice in such decision process
  3. Loss of superhost eligibility for the quater
  4. Blocked dates for the reservation (pending when the reservation duration is)
  5. Extra penalty (e.g., $100) on top of the 100% refund to guests

My point is such power of case manage has a profound impact on hosts.  However, the power has no constraints in any way and hosts have no say in such black box process is a huge flaw in the system.  I don't think this will benefit hosts or AirBnb in the long run.  But welcome to different opinion from my fellow hosts.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Albert11 

So, this was a case of the guest requesting a full refund even though they completed the stay and you were never notified of it, nor given a chance to respond, until the case was closed 'on your behalf' and the refund issued?

Albert11
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

That's correct.  This was a completed stay in mid June 2020.  Guest asked for a refund via AirBnb message, which I declined.  I guess that guest went to the CS and he then made a decision to cancel on my behalf TWO Months later, without notifying me at any given point, or asking for my input, or giving me a heads up that he would make such decision.  All I got was a notification after it was done.

I would not argue the details or right or wrong of the decision made.  It is just the power and process of how the CS can make a cancellation decision "on behalf of host" are really concerning to me. 

A CS makes a cancellation decision for the host without host's knowledge if alarming!  Host will have to live with all the severe consequences without a chance of knowing the issue or having any say in the decision-making process.  

Something is very wrong with the process.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Albert11 I am even more confused as to what actually happened. Without knowing this its hard to say if Airbnb overstepped the mark.

1. Uncertainty on your already received payouts 
    1. Did the guest actually stay yet?
  2. No voice in such decision process
  3. Loss of superhost eligibility for the quater
    1. Why? On what basis was Superhost status lost?
  4. Blocked dates for the reservation (pending when the reservation duration is)
    1. This suggests the guest didn't actually stay yet
  5. Extra penalty (e.g., $100) on top of the 100% refund to guests
    1. This suggests you, the host, cancelled the booking

Its all a bit strange to me

Mike,  thanks for your questions.  I do believe the CS materially overstepped the mark here.  Please find below my detailed answers to your questions.

1.  Yes, the guest completed her stay in mid June 2020 and payout was made to host.

2.  The CS made the decision to cancel the completed stay TWO MONTHS later on Aug 22, 2020.  I received no notification from him or any other AirBnb Support that there was an issue being handled / coordinated through AirBnb.  No CS or support contracted me via any means (phone, message, email, etc.) regarding this matter.  No reach out at all.  Needless to say no facts gathering from host, no conversation with host, not even a warning/ heads up that CS will make a final decision like this.  ALL I received was a message notice after the decision made (on my behalf) and full refund sent to guest. 

3. That's the standard penalty if a host cancels a confirmed reservation.  I did not cancel but the CS cancelled it "on my behalf without my knowledge".  So I, as host, have to live the consequences of CS act.  That's the most concerning part of the whole process. 

4. That's another standard penalty if a host cancels a confirmed reservation.  Like I said in the brackets it is pending on the reservation dates.  In my case, the reservation was completed in June so no impact in this particular case.  However, in general, if your confirmed booking still have nights in the future dates, your calendar will be blocked.  For example, if CS cancels on Aug 22 (on your behalf) your booking of Aug 22 to Aug 31, all those dates will be blocked on your calendar despite the fact that your booking was "cancelled".  So you, as a host, will be double punished in this scenario: 1) you will lose all your payout from current booking as it will be 100% refunded to guests due to "host cancellation", which CS did "on your behalf".  and 2) your dates of the "cancelled booking" will stay blocked so you cannot sell to other guests who want to book those dates.  This is quite devastating situation.  And the CS does not need to take any hit for such decision, but the HOST will!  As you can clearly see, the financial damage to host can be huge and host has no say in such material decision AT ALL.  This process should be improved for sure!

5.  That's another standard penalty if a host cancels a confirmed reservation.  Yes, such penalty only comes if a host cancels the booking.  In my case, I did NOT cancel.  However, some CS cancelled "on my behalf, without my knowledge".  That's the whole point I'm trying to make here.  The overpowered CS overstepped in such decision making and host has to live with the adversity!!!

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

This is extremely concerning and unacceptable. And very likely the agent was not supposed to do this. You need to keep reporting it to customer service, keep pushing and complaining and demanding more info about this until you get to the bottom of it. Did you ask the guest if they asked for this refund? And also if they received it?  Not that a guest requesting the refund should result in losing your payout without any consent, but I would want to know exactly how this issue came to that agent's desk in the first place. the most important thing is to keep reiterating it is UNACCEPTABLE. I do think agents have the option to cancel by admin or by host or by guest. We have no idea what oversight is in place right now. Keep us posted please. 

Albert11
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

Totally agree.  This is very concerning and alarming.  A CS can easily abuse his or her power of "cancel on behalf of host".  What's even more concerning is there is no process or venue to appeal after such power being abused!!!

The customer service phone line no long exists.  All communication is via message or chat.  However, there is no way to reach the CS or his/her supervisor...or even get a reply form a customer support rep...or even a BOT.

I had been on the chat many times over couple of days.  It always tells you a rep will be available in 5 minutes.  Then that 5 minutes turns into 10, 20, 30, ...forever.  After several un-answered automatically generated open tickets, they have another automated system to consolidated those open tickets to ONE open tickets and promise " a member from our team will reach out", which sadly never happened!

AirBnb has been a great platform and helped millions of people.  Hope this is just some growth pain it is going through.  But this is clearly some systematic flaw they need to fix before it expands to uncontrollable issue and destroy its trust with hosts.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Albert11 Seriously weird situation. I would just keep raising cases with Airbnb and/or enlist the help of @Catherine-Powell who might be able to inject some common sense here although I a sure she can't keep up with all the Airbnb issues!

For completeness you should contact the guest and ask if they initiated any action and/or have been refunded any money.

Thanks @mike-and-jane0  I appreciate the advice.  I'll definitely reach out to @Catherine-Powell for help.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Albert11 I successfully sued Airbnb in small claims court after they clawed back two payments for reservations 18 months prior, with no explanation. Something to consider.

Albert11
Level 2
Tennessee, United States

18 months?!  That's unbelievable.  I thought they can only do it within 60 days for claims and such.  The uncertainty and cost of doing business have just gone much higher if this is the case.  

I'm so glad you got it resolved.  In my case, I may go that route if this gets worse.  For now, it probably not worth the time.  This is really an added cost to hosts and risk if AirBnb can claw back payouts 60 days or even 18 months later. 

This is something they should review and improve on for hosts and for their long term success.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lisa723 Very interesting - Can I ask how you got round the Ts&Cs saying you can only go to arbitration? Was it that the court was willing to ignore them?

@Mike-And-Jane0 TOS allow small claims court:

"Parties retain the right to seek relief in small claims court for certain claims, at their option;"

Airbnb did not respond to the suit, so I won by default. I sent them a copy of the judgment and demand for payment, and they paid.