How to Win Social Media

Laura2714
Level 9
Cottonwood, AZ

How to Win Social Media

Social Media is tricky. We all have to

Use it but it can have negative effects. Like we all have to eat food but not all foods and eating habits are good & healthy. 

Thomas Anderson Won Social Media.

No one will ever win social media as hard as Tom Anderson WON social media.

Congratulations Tom Anderson, you bought low, sold high and live better life because of it.

Tom Anderson is an example of wisedom in an age of social media. 

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2714 Who the **** is Tom Anderson?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=tom+anderson%27

You didn't know who he was? (I had to look it up 🙂 )

@Fred13 But do I care ?

I think you care as much as I do. Zero?

For a few years in the 2000s

Tom Anderson was one of my top five friends. Consistently at the top my top 5 friends list.

Then, he sold his company for 5 times the amount it was worth and went on permanent vacation. 

Tom Won !

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

This is an interesting topic, @Laura2714!

Have you made changes to how you use social media?  What tips would you give to anyone who wanted to have healthier social media habits?

I'm from the Myspace generation so I remember Tom!  He was everyone's top friend!  I read about him recently and it looks like he lives a good life after making some clever business decisions.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I want to keep this relevent to Airbnb. How I’ve changed is that I don’t use socail media. Or if I do, it is in a managed and limited way. 

I also don’t wear t-shirts with a logo from a company on them, because I’m not a billboard.

Since I have a background in IT and information science businesses in my small dusty town ask me,

“How do we use social media to sell our goods and services?”

When I tell them that marketing research shows that thier are better ways to use your time & labor to market your product- they stare at me mouth agape. Because that’s thier only plan. Some small town high school graduate posting, ‘have a great day,’ on Facebook. 

I say “the average Facebook user is a high school graduate single mom who lives at the lower income level, is that the demographic that you are marketing your business to ?”

Again, they stare at me - shocked by the fact that thier marketing plan is not reaching the demographic they wish to sell thier product to - 

(I don’t market my Airbnb on Facebook, not my clientel)

Its an uphill battle to convience leaders of organizations that there are more effective ways to market then Facebook and socail media. And, these people have zero marketing ideas outside of post,

“Have a great day” any and all socail media platforms.

Everyone is self-aware and marketing on Social Media - and everyone is aware that they are being marketed to.

The truth is that if you look at the research - socail media is the least effective marketing tool in your toolbox. 

Daniel Pink has a older book,

“To Sell is Human,” which is a good resource on this topic.

(PS: I like to make spelling and grammer errors - so people know they are talking to a human being) 

Thank you for this!  It has been my thought for 20 years. 

I had a residential cleaning service that I started in 2004.  I believe it was around 2012 all the rage was to market your business on FB.  I said no.. my avatar client is not hanging out on FB, they are at work lol and that's why they need a house cleaner.  

I run FB ads for my vacation rentals as well as post on my different business pages and the outcome is just as you said.  People that I wouldn't want as a guest or people that can't afford it.  I am not high end either lol.  It's more of the Motel 6 crowd that respond to my ads and posts. 

FB is good for awareness and that's about it. 

Karen

Because we both had Tom Anderson as a top friend, we have a mutual friend. 

🫸   🩷 🫷

The first person who told me about Facebook was an upper class British man who I met at a Youth Hostel. 

But, Facebook has been out of style in Europe for almost a decade. Europeans use Instagram and other platforms.

Europeans are my most favorite guests. 

At the time, I learned about Facebook it was the hip place for Bros from Stanford who take expensive luxury vacations. 

Now, it’s where my Grandma hangs out sharing her views of puppies and kittens. 

The demographics changed and the party moved on. 

It’s not the place I would market a luxury listing. 

Social media is a tricky space, and it can have its ups and downs, just like our eating habits. But let's take a moment to acknowledge the legend himself, Tom Anderson. He truly made a mark on social media and showed us what it means to win in this digital world.

Tom Anderson's success story reminds us of the power of strategic thinking and making smart moves. It's like buying low and selling high, but in the realm of social media. Props to Tom for paving the way and living his best life! Speaking of social media success, if you're looking to boost your presence on platforms like TikTok, have you considered getting real TikTok likes ** ? It's a legit way to increase engagement and attract more followers.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.]

Kirian4  Why?