How to make an Escalation or complaint

Answered!
Piyush14
Level 2
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

How to make an Escalation or complaint

Hi, need to understand how to escalate a support issue or make a complaint.

Here is the background:-

We recently stayed in Scotland and I booked the property through Airbnb. The property listed 1.5 bathrooms, a kitchen where guests can cook and a TV. 

Here are the contradictions:-

1.5 bathroom --> I thought 1.5 bathroom is what is defined in this thread  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Shared-bathroom-classification-1-5-or-ZERO/td-p/280614?_ga=...

But, the property only one bathroom with only a bathtub in it and another small toilet with a sink & a seat

The kitchen had no extractor and fire alarm almost on top of the hob. As soon as we started cooking, the fire alarm rang and since there was only one window in the kitchen which we opened but you need at least two things for complete circulation, we had to stop cooking. 

TV - I have to admit, it was turning on but that's about it. No channels to view - not even Freeview. 

We were six people including two children and while we might have put up with other things, 1.5 bathroom discrepancy was a deal-breaker hence we checked out literally after the first night where we booked for 4. The host only agreed for early checkout if he charges us for one night and which we agreed but honestly, at that point, our biggest priority was to find another accommodation which was very difficult due to bank holiday weekend and ended up paying a lot more.

Now here is the response I got from support people on above issues hence I need to escalate this as these are completely unacceptable.

1.5 bathroom - the support person won't agree this isn't what 1.5 bathroom means. They keep saying that what 1.5 bathroom is on Airbnb and if I am not happy, share feedback. I will but what about all the issues we had in that property and ended up paying extra?

Kitchen - the description says where guests can cook. A working kitchen means where you can cook without raising a fire alarm. The support person said to me, it is clearly visible in the pictures there is no extractor. Really, in old-style kitchen where the extractor is usually the one which you pull out, how can you tell that from the picture. Also, she said Extractor is not listed in the amenities. Really? I have been using Airbnb for a while and never saw Extractor as one of the amenities in Kitchen.

TV - It wasn't a big deal but what's the point of having a TV which doesn't even have Freeview. On this the support person said there is no mention of cable TV in the description. Again really? it's like giving someone bed without mattress and saying mattress wasn't in the description.

Now, it was supposed to be our holiday but above discrepancies caused us a lot of trouble and extra money in the end and in retrospective, I can't see what extra I could have done to avoid this.

I am asking Airbnb to refund me for that night as a platform owner, they are responsible for verifying the listings. Guest can't be confirming every single thing with the host especially the ones which are obvious!

Hence need to understand where I can make a complaint about this.

Thanks PG

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Piyush14  The thing is, even if Airbnb verified all the amenities in every listing, that doesn't mean one of those things couldn't suddenly stop functioning before your stay, often without the host's knowledge. That TV probably did function at some point, but maybe a cable came loose or a TV antennae became disconnected. If the previous guest didn't report it, it's not likely that the host or their cleaner would be trying to watch TV between bookings, so they might be totally unaware. Or maybe the host knew the TV didn't work, but they just totally forgot to remove it from their amenities list. And when things like a hot water heater finally break and need to be replaced, that happens without warning- one day it just stops functioning.

A guest is entitled to a refund for non-functioning listed amenities, and the appropriate amount of the refund is dependent on how it impacted the guest's stay. If the electricity goes out at 8PM, so the guests are in the dark all evening, and it's a hot night, so the AC or fans don't work, and everyone has a terrible night, unable to sleep because it's 85 degrees in the house, that's a lot different from the TV not working or the hair dryer being broken. I hope you can understand that.

If guests were given full refunds for anything at all that wasn't as advertised, that would be like a host charging a guest extra for any little thing they did wrong. You left 4 unwashed coffee cups in the sink when the check-out instructions were to wash your dishes? $15 fine. You got something on the sheets or towels which entailed the cleaners spending an extra 15 minutes pre-treating the stain before washing the item? $25 fine. Your kids wiped their sticky hands on the wall? $10 fine.

Neither hosts nor guests are perfect people. I'm a firm believer that in order for Airbnb to work, both parties need to cut each other some slack and not be so critical of each other. And while I have tons of criticism about the way Airbnb deals with things, the company can't be expected to hand out full refunds for anything that a guest complains about. No one would host at all if that were the case.

30 Replies 30
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry your stay wasn’t as expected. @Piyush14 

From the description of the listing regarding the bathroom situation- I would think 1.5 bathrooms is one bathroom with toilet and shower or bath PLUS a half bathroom which is a toilet and sink.

However it could also be a bathroom with just a bath or shower and a separate toilet - depends how it was described?

If you couldn’t cook because the fire alarm kept triggering I agree this is unacceptable - did previous reviews mention this?

It really depends  how it was described in the listing and shown in the photos? Did the full bathroom show/describe that it included a toilet? If not, this isn’t something you could have expected.

A TV doesn’t need to include satellite channels unless this is described as having them in the listing ? Were they?

Airbnb would not be responsible for refunding your first night as you stayed at the property, nor are they responsible for paying the difference between the original property and any new property you found under the T&Cs you booked under. 

They would normally offer a small credit towards a new place - did this happen? 

Airbnb are not responsible for verifying amenities at a listing. It is up to a guest to carefully read the description and look at the photos to make sure it fits with their requirements. If the bathroom situation wasn’t clear for you - as it was a deal breaker it would have been better to check with the host before booking. 

Piyush14
Level 2

Hi Helen

Thanks for your response.

As you said, that is what I was expecting. I was confused with 1.5 bathrooms as well but reading that link, I was happy with it as long as it had two toilets. One in full bathroom and another in 0.5 one.

It wasn't described correctly and even the host agreed on the phone with me that 1.5 probably isn't the right picture of how the property is. 

Happy to share the property listing link if it is allowed here.

For Kitchen, the fire alarm did go off. The previous review didn't say anything around this and host said depends how you ok. Not sure what he meant but I wasn't burning wood there for sure.

I will be disappointed to know if Airbnb does not very listings. The bathroom situation was the deal breaker but reading that link I would have thought Airbnb would have some standards and 1.5 bathrooms should mean exactly the same with all hosts?

But other things which are obvious like kitchen and extractor situation. How can any guest potentially ask so detailed questions to the host like you have a kitchen? Do you have an extractor - does it even work.

TV - again wasn't a big problem but a Freeview is a kind of obvious. I am not saying people should provide paid subscriptions Netflix etc but when you switch it on, something should come up. The listing just said TV (which moving forward I will take it as just TV and might ask the host, does any channel on them or it just switches on). But again, Airbnb should have some standards around this. If you are listing TV, make sure host provide Freeview at least otherwise what's the point!

I mean, this wasn't my first booking with Airbnb but definitely was the worst!

I would expect a refund because Airbnb running such a big platform should standardize things and write clear definitions of everything like what is 1.5 bathroom so both hosts & guests stick to it. Leaving things to people's perception & understanding will always lead to conflicts.

No one has offered me anything. Neither refund nor credit. That all will come later but the support lady handling my refund request is not even ready to accept that this is not what 1.5 bathroom looks like hence I would like a make a formal complaint.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I do appreciate this was a frustrating experience for you.

So just to clarify @Piyush14  did the description and photos in the listing show there was a second toilet in the bathroom or not? 

If it didn’t then I don’t think you have a valid complaint. And definitely something you could have checked on before booking.

Nor can you assume a TV includes free-view unless it mentions in the listing that it is an amenity.

The main valid complaint you have is about cooking on the hob  setting off the fire alarm.

In terms of descriptions for accommodation - this is provided by individuals and property management companies who write about their properties and upload photography. 

As Airbnb says on it’s website it’s really important that guests read information in the listing to make sure it’s a good fit before you book.  

Airbnb do not standardise or write descriptions for the many millions of properties listed through them. Nor does any other listing company. This is not a reasonable expectation.

However if Airbnb accepted you had a reason to have a penalty free cancellation they should have offered a small credit and transferred the money paid for your original booking to your new one.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Piyush14 If you have already complained to Airbnb then there is nothing else you can do unless you choose to take them to arbitration. I trust you have left an honest review for the host.

Piyush14
Level 2

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response.

I haven't made any complaint yet. I am just dealing with a lady in support team who is handling my request for a refund for that night and she is not helping at all hence I would like to make a formal complaint now.

Thanks, PG

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Piyush14 In Airbnb terms I think asking for a refund is effectively a complaint. Others may correct me but I don't think there is any sort of escalation within Airbnb that you can demand.

Piyush14
Level 2

Thanks Mike.

It certainly looks that way but I will figure out. It's not that difficult nowadays to get hold of the right people.

@Piyush14  If you were refunded for the nights that you didn't stay, then your issue is already resolved as far as Airbnb is concerned. 

A refund for the night that you did stay might occur if something extraordinarily awful occurred. But your experience falls well short of that - the amenities were there, but not quite up to your expectations. One doesn't need to be compensated for every disappointment. 

Piyush14
Level 2

Thanks Andrew. 

Sure, but I would still like to talk to an official representative of Airbnb to discuss this. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get hold of them but I will figure out.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Call them @Piyush14 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I've traveled a lot throughout my life and I've stayed in hotels, privately run accomodations, and lots of Airbnbs. 

First, as an experienced guest with Airbnb, I can tell you that customer service is not like one would expect from a major company. Airbnb will decide the resolution and then close the ticket, and the platform will not allow another to be opened. I don't believe they publish their phone number on the platform, so you will need to look it up online. It won't be the normal process of requesting the representative escalate to a supervisor and that you can take your complaint up various levels. Expect to spend a lot of time and effort, and quite possibly not get the resolution you seek.

Second, as an experienced traveler, I learned early that unexpected problems can and will arise. I honestly don't think that anything egregious happened here. It was an oversight on the host's part to not put in the description that there was only one toilet, but I think four adults could manage sharing it. In case of emergency, there was toilet paper and plenty of surrounding nature. The listing didn't state there was cable, but it did have wi-fi, and you could have brought devices to amuse yourselves, or been resilient and found other ways to entertain yourselves. As for the fire alarm, you could have simply removed the battery, and if it wasn't removable, then you would have had some amusing anecdotes for social gatherings (or, you could leave the next day, which you did). You weren't in danger, and you didn't have to agree to whatever you had to in order to get to safety and then try to get a refund later. You made an agreement for the cancellation, and you weren't abused or victimized. 

I think the host left a balanced review, it's nothing that would keep a future host from hosting you, and you have other good reviews. Sometimes a guest and a host just have a one-off, and hosts understand that when looking at the whole picture. Your review of the stay was also balanced, it wasn't a revenge review, so a host wouldn't have to fear that you would intentionally try to block them from getting guests and income. 

I wish you smooth sailing with your complaint. I hope it's not too frustrating of a process and, if you don't get what you seek, that at least moving forward you can have better guest experiences. You'll  know to ask about things that are important to you, since hosts are unique individuals with unique places to stay, not a corporate hotel with the same general expectations across the board. Next time you reserve a place, you'll know from experience to ask for number of toilets, if there's cable, and what is the placement of the fire alarm. 

Piyush14
Level 2

Hi Heidi,

I am certainly getting this feeling that you have to be an experienced guest to make sure you look out for everything. This was my first time, as in, first-ever where I had issues of all kind. You obviously gain experience with these kinds of situations but it shouldn't be that way.

I didn't write anything wrong in the review for the property and the host as we both had really polite conversation about everything. And I am not blaming the host either, I am blaming Airbnb.

As a platform owner, they should standardize things for both guests & hosts. This whole situation would have been avoided if I would have found anywhere what 1.5 bathroom means. And I did find in one of these forums someone explaining what 1.5 bathrooms is. I guess my mistake there was assuming that's what is it and not confirming with the host. Whatever written on these forums is obviously people's opinions and perceptions. These are not Airbnb rules!

Anyways, I certainly learned a lot about how Airbnb operates and what to look out for in future.

And I will make sure I get my feedback to Airbnb. I will figure out how. it's not that difficult in today's day & age to get hold of the right people.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Piyush14 Your opinion that Airbnb should standardize is ridiculous! Airbnb is NOT the Premier Inn, not Best Western, not any hotel chain! - An Airbnb is what it is! - - Ordinary houses! - Someone's holiday home, or spare house they inherited, or a house they no longer need to live in cos they've moved in with a partner.... Some Airbnb's are newly renovated for guests; some are just as Granny left them! -   It is the guest's job to read the listing very carefully, assume nothing, and ASK if the listing details are not comprehensive...

Many older, unmodernised UK houses were built with a separate bathroom & toilet. That was once the fashion! So you can't assume that ALL British bathrooms have a toilet IN the bathroom. Similarly, older British bathrooms only have baths, no showers. The preference for showering, rather than bathing is a relatively recent thing.

If the bathroom situation was not clear, it will be because the Airbnb drop down list does not cater for OLD British bathrooms! - Half a bathroom means toilet & basin, but what is the host  supposed to call the room with a bath (only)??? - It has a bath, so it's a bathroom!

Extractor fans are not standard! - Older houses won't have them. My own kitchen has no extractor fan because the cooker is on a partition wall with the neighbour, and it is not possible to duct an extractor to the outside, nor re-site the cooker! 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You don’t need to be an experienced guest you simply need to look at the photos and read the description and if anything seems unclear check with the host before booking. @Piyush14 

Can you clarify 

1. Did the listing description or photos show there was a toilet in the bathroom???

2. Was the TV working?