How to make an Escalation or complaint

Answered!
Piyush14
Level 2
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

How to make an Escalation or complaint

Hi, need to understand how to escalate a support issue or make a complaint.

Here is the background:-

We recently stayed in Scotland and I booked the property through Airbnb. The property listed 1.5 bathrooms, a kitchen where guests can cook and a TV. 

Here are the contradictions:-

1.5 bathroom --> I thought 1.5 bathroom is what is defined in this thread  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Shared-bathroom-classification-1-5-or-ZERO/td-p/280614?_ga=...

But, the property only one bathroom with only a bathtub in it and another small toilet with a sink & a seat

The kitchen had no extractor and fire alarm almost on top of the hob. As soon as we started cooking, the fire alarm rang and since there was only one window in the kitchen which we opened but you need at least two things for complete circulation, we had to stop cooking. 

TV - I have to admit, it was turning on but that's about it. No channels to view - not even Freeview. 

We were six people including two children and while we might have put up with other things, 1.5 bathroom discrepancy was a deal-breaker hence we checked out literally after the first night where we booked for 4. The host only agreed for early checkout if he charges us for one night and which we agreed but honestly, at that point, our biggest priority was to find another accommodation which was very difficult due to bank holiday weekend and ended up paying a lot more.

Now here is the response I got from support people on above issues hence I need to escalate this as these are completely unacceptable.

1.5 bathroom - the support person won't agree this isn't what 1.5 bathroom means. They keep saying that what 1.5 bathroom is on Airbnb and if I am not happy, share feedback. I will but what about all the issues we had in that property and ended up paying extra?

Kitchen - the description says where guests can cook. A working kitchen means where you can cook without raising a fire alarm. The support person said to me, it is clearly visible in the pictures there is no extractor. Really, in old-style kitchen where the extractor is usually the one which you pull out, how can you tell that from the picture. Also, she said Extractor is not listed in the amenities. Really? I have been using Airbnb for a while and never saw Extractor as one of the amenities in Kitchen.

TV - It wasn't a big deal but what's the point of having a TV which doesn't even have Freeview. On this the support person said there is no mention of cable TV in the description. Again really? it's like giving someone bed without mattress and saying mattress wasn't in the description.

Now, it was supposed to be our holiday but above discrepancies caused us a lot of trouble and extra money in the end and in retrospective, I can't see what extra I could have done to avoid this.

I am asking Airbnb to refund me for that night as a platform owner, they are responsible for verifying the listings. Guest can't be confirming every single thing with the host especially the ones which are obvious!

Hence need to understand where I can make a complaint about this.

Thanks PG

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Piyush14  The thing is, even if Airbnb verified all the amenities in every listing, that doesn't mean one of those things couldn't suddenly stop functioning before your stay, often without the host's knowledge. That TV probably did function at some point, but maybe a cable came loose or a TV antennae became disconnected. If the previous guest didn't report it, it's not likely that the host or their cleaner would be trying to watch TV between bookings, so they might be totally unaware. Or maybe the host knew the TV didn't work, but they just totally forgot to remove it from their amenities list. And when things like a hot water heater finally break and need to be replaced, that happens without warning- one day it just stops functioning.

A guest is entitled to a refund for non-functioning listed amenities, and the appropriate amount of the refund is dependent on how it impacted the guest's stay. If the electricity goes out at 8PM, so the guests are in the dark all evening, and it's a hot night, so the AC or fans don't work, and everyone has a terrible night, unable to sleep because it's 85 degrees in the house, that's a lot different from the TV not working or the hair dryer being broken. I hope you can understand that.

If guests were given full refunds for anything at all that wasn't as advertised, that would be like a host charging a guest extra for any little thing they did wrong. You left 4 unwashed coffee cups in the sink when the check-out instructions were to wash your dishes? $15 fine. You got something on the sheets or towels which entailed the cleaners spending an extra 15 minutes pre-treating the stain before washing the item? $25 fine. Your kids wiped their sticky hands on the wall? $10 fine.

Neither hosts nor guests are perfect people. I'm a firm believer that in order for Airbnb to work, both parties need to cut each other some slack and not be so critical of each other. And while I have tons of criticism about the way Airbnb deals with things, the company can't be expected to hand out full refunds for anything that a guest complains about. No one would host at all if that were the case.

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

... Other guests mentioned the DVD colection.... So maybe the screen was there just to watch DVDs? 

This cottage is in rural Scotland..... Maybe TV IS intermittent? - Where I live on the Cumbrian coast, my Freeview TV is sometimes unwatchable; if TOO sunny or TOO stormy, there is no signal. (Despite fantastic broadband, which is another thing!)