How would YOU review this guest?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

How would YOU review this guest?

I have an idea of what I'm going to say, but would love to hear what YOU would say. Backstory:

Guests were a very young couple who booked my homeshare for 2 nights. The guy booked the trip and was very communicative/friendly. The first night I'm pretty sure they never slept and I could hear conversation and music through about 5am as I woke up several times during the night due to noise. That's when they left the house (presumably they went to the beach).

My house rules/house guide tells guests there is a coffee station with other things they can use (forks/plates/cups/etc.) but explicitly states do not use my personal dishes/silverware. They took glasses off my shelf to use in the bathroom as a toothbrush holder. Then they went through my cupboards and pulled a plate and knife to cut a mango and proceeded to put it in one of my glass containers with a lid, and took it with them to the beach that evening. As I caught them doing this in the kitchen he said, "Oh, I hope you don't mind me using your knife." Yes, I should have said something then and there, but, they had already used my things (what do I say "dump out the mango you can't use my dishes?") and they were leaving the next day.

He messaged me to ask if they could cook Ramen that night. My listing EXPLICITLY says no cooking. I did tell him, no, I do not allow guests to use the stove and he was fine with that. The second night of their stay, they were quiet, no noise. Check-out time is noon. They left at 11:59am. (I know, they're fully allowed to stay up until check-out time, but...)

These guests were very friendly and I don't think any of this was done with ill-intention, I think it was simply young, ignorance. They were apparently first-time ABB users. He had no reviews and his profile was recent.

What would you say in your review of these guests?

49 Replies 49

@Suzanne302 

A learning experience for them and for you? 

As far as the kitchen items, I'd take the hint and if there is not yet a toothbrush holder in their bathroom, put one there for guests. At the existing coffee bar, a knife, small cutting board, small bowls and a small microwave might be nice amenities. I have them for guests, and when I stay somewhere I am happy to find them. A microwave is good for reheating tea and coffee, too. When all I am provided is a drip coffee maker, I often use it as a hot water heater for soups and ramen, in addition to the instant coffee and tea I travel with. I carry granola bars, instant soups, jerky for making broth, fig bars, ginger. I travel with a thermos chopsticks, and a big mug, which is good for everything from coffee to soup and ramen, even a piece of cake. A good bowl can also be that one item for everything, including beverages if necessary, and it packs easily with soft items in a carryon. I've found that most younger travelers are packing similarly. As a lifelong traveler, I try to be self sufficient, and whatever else the host can provide is so welcome! Just my 2 cents...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 

I personally think that if your check out time is until noon, there is no reason at all to be upset with guests who check out at 11.59am. Why would they check out earlier? It's the guests that check out half an hour, an hour or even more past the check out time that you should get upset with.

@Huma0 @Suzanne302 

My checkout time is noon. When guests stay until 11:59 am I am satisfied that the space is being enjoyed. When they leave much earlier, I hope we've made them adequately comfortable. 

If we have no one arriving that afternoon and the guests are wonderful, we've been known to tell them to take their time and not rush off. No one has actually abused that invitation, not in the least.

@Kitty-and-Creek0 

Yep, I do the same thing! I've told plenty of guests to "take their time" if they didn't want to rush off! I think @Huma0 's comment below sums up the reason their 11:59am check-out time annoyed me!

@Huma0 

Oh, I know. That's why I said "I know they're fully allowed to stay until check-out time..." because I knew someone would say "but they're allowed....." Do they deserve a ding or bad review for that very reason? Absolutely not. I would never do that.

But for me, it just spoke to the type of guest and after everything else it was just something else to add to my annoyance because I was just so ready for them to leave.

I was watching the clock and if they hadn't stirred I was ready to knock on the door at exactly noon to let them know I needed to begin cleaning for the next guest.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 

Yep, I get it. If a guest is annoying you in other ways, something like that can seem like just another annoyance. One has to take a deep breath and not chastise the guest for something that you would not have been annoyed about otherwise.

Here's an example. When the guest whom I personally like, who is friendly, polite, considerate in general etc. etc. keeps slamming doors, I raise an eyebrow to myself and think, "Oh, well, never mind."

When the guest who irks me in general, whom I do not like, who gives me an uneasy feeling, does not seem to be bothered to read or listen to anything and ignores house rules keeps slamming doors, it sets my teeth on edge and I can feel my temper rising....

@Huma0 

Exactly! I'm the same way! This was one of those, "OMG just please get out of my house already!!" LOL!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 

Oh, yes. I know that feeling!

I had a recent guest stay for two months and I just loved hosting him. He was amazing. So, when he asked me about check out, I said, "Well, in you could clear out of your room by 11am so I can start turning it over, that would be great, but don't feel like you need to rush out of the house. Feel free to hang around in the kitchen, living room or whatever until you are ready to go."

He ended up staying until around 3pm and I didn't mind one bit.

Now, a guest who was irksome... If they had hung around in the house (even if they had vacated the bedroom) until even 1pm, it would have made me furious.

@Huma0 

But, you gave that guy permission. Which you would not have given the annoying guy!

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 

Yes, that is true. I'm more flexible with the good guests, partly because I like them, but also because I know they won't take advantage. 

I started getting really strict about check out/guests leaving bags because so many people messed me around, and the wording in my house rules reflects this. It even says that guests who stay past check out without permission will be charged for an extra night.

However, in reality, I let lots of guests check out late for free or leave their bags here and never charge for it. It totally depends on the guest and if I feel I can trust them.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Kitty-and-Creek0 

Appreciate the comment as I am always interested in how other hosts handle things!

I like to think it's pretty clear in my listing that this is not the place to stay if you want to hang out in my home all day. I used to set the max nights to 3, but now I've reduced it to 2 to prevent people camping out at my house. Don't get me wrong, I love hosting and love meeting guests, but I'd rather they explore what the area has to offer than cozy up in my kitchen for extended periods of time.

For that reason, I don't want to add anything to the kitchen items other than the basics they might need if they bring back takeout. Now, I have on occasion, with select guests, told them to make themselves at home and if they need anything from the kitchen, go ahead find what they need. I've also allowed a guest to actually cook a meal because of special circumstances where she acknowledged my rules and was very up front about her reason for wanting to cook a meal and asked in an extremely polite, not entitled, manner.

But I like that to be MY choice. I've done this mostly for solo travelers that I immediately establish a good rapport with.

Hi @Suzanne302 ,

I have been the low-end traveler, in my younger life! A while before AirBnB. I used to pack an electric Wok. You can cook anything in a Motel 6 room in a wok. Now, I much prefer to give guests a kitchen, with enough room and electric service equal to the task. Budget travelers will cook, they have to. For a room in a home I guess that is who would be your market. As a backyard bunkhouse, I know it is ours. 😉

Ted & Chris

@Ted307 

I would consider myself a "budget" traveler as well in the sense that I can't afford anything the "new" Airbnb is offering, lol! Unless it's a special occasion, I go for places under $100/night, less, if possible.

Most of my guests in my current listing are simply stopping over for the night on a longer trip, or doing a quick 1 or 2 night getaway from a couple hours away. That's my bread and butter guests. They want comfortable and nice, for a good price, but don't need luxury because they are only here for a short time. So, even the budget travelers can find something within their budget for takeout!

Now, if I had folks staying for 4 days or more, I see the need for cooking. But one or two nights? Nope! They are welcome to make sandwiches if they're that much on a budget. 🙂

@Suzanne302 

I confess, I am still a budget traveler! Budget is higher than Motel 6 now, but I will book a place with a kitchen if I can, even for just one night. When we are traveling and only stopping for the night, we have stayed at some places where no cooking is allowed. But, only because our route dictated it.

That is why our place is priced at $95/night. I think that the new "Summer Release" might be punishing us for this low price, in spite of all the adjustments we have made to our listing. In a review of your young guests, I would be positive if they were clean and did no damage. In a private feedback, I might mention the things you have posted here. Hosts are all different in their situations, and guests do need to understand that!

Ted & Chris