How would you word this review?

Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

How would you word this review?

Hi all,

I had some interesting guests a week ago and have been fumbling around with how to review this guest (knowing that I probably will end up with a low review from them). New guest to airbnb platform. Asked the typical questions beforehand and took their booking. She assured me that all the house info had been read, etc.

I sent an email the morning after their arrival to ensure everything was as expected (do so with all my guests) and she indicated that there was only 1 roll of TP left in each bathroom. I contacted my housekeeper who let me know there were about 9-10 extra rolls in the house when she finished cleaning. As act of goodwill had my housekeeper stop by the next day and drop off 6 rolls of TP on the porch. When I inquired about them receiving them she said yes, but then indicated that my housekeeper failed to leave a roll of paper towels??? She then asked if she could return the next day with paper towels, to which I answered no and let her know that there was no indication of a lack of paper towels in her original message (we leave two rolls per guest). 

She also messaged me that my bowls and mugs were too large? That was a first.

When my housekeeper went in after they left the extra rolls that she delivered were still wrapped up and unused and there were half used TP rolls all over the bathrooms (what was originally left) there were even multiple half used rolls in bathroom trash cans.

I am obviously going to write something to the effect of better suited to a hotel. The messaging won't be around cleanliness, but expectation of daily housekeeping and wanting the space to fit their specific preferences even with dinnerware.

Thanks!

27 Replies 27
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Colleen253 

Thanks for the input.

I’m going to change that. The reason I checked “smoking is allowed” is because the alternative seemed to be “no smoking anywhere on the property.”

I did say “Smoking OUTSIDE ONLY!” but of course people will claim that they didn’t see that.

I’m quite sure that these people did see it and they consciously decided to ignore it.
It was extremely hot and muggy outside and they just didn’t feel like going out there every half hour to get another fix. 

@Brian2036 I'll share my experience. I've had 'no smoking allowed' since day one, because I would be horrified if someone smoked in the house. But I do put in my house rules that smoking outside is allowed. Never had a problem, and we get plenty of smokers. 

Because your listing is described as 'smoking allowed', you can't really give these guests a bad review for smoking (especially as you're 'quite sure' but not 'beyond a shadow of a doubt sure'). Even if you spelled it out in the message stream with the guests "outside only", maybe they missed it. Airbnb is not good at nofifying guests that they have messages from a host. And mentioning it in your unique house rules is no guarantee guests will see it there either. Airbnb hides our unique house rules too well. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Colleen253 

You’re right, there’s no way to prove that they knowingly violated the smoking rule and there’s no point in starting an argument now. I shouldn’t have checked the smoking allowed box.

I could have sworn that it said something about “no smoking anywhere on the property” somewhere, which is something one could expect in some states, like California, where people are likely to call 911 if they see someone smoking outside in a wide open space, imagine they smell smoke coming from a neighbor’s apartment, or see someone carrying an unlit cigarette.

I didn’t want to be that **bleep** about it.

I also shouldn’t have let Airbnb convince me to offer a discount that would allow someone to rent for a month at a lower price than it would have cost them for two weeks. They’re still hinting that we’ll be uncompetitive unless we offer a 49% discount for a month or more.

As for the lost remote control, it’s one of those things that make me want to strangle someone, but I guess I just need to learn to expect it. I lose my own from time to time and have found it in places like the refrigerator once or twice.

@Brian2036  While I know some hosts are admantly non-smoking, and don't allow it anywhere on the property, that doesn't mean they don't encounter smokers who disregard it.

While every host has the right to make their own rules, I think it's much more practical to provide a comfortable outside smoking area, far enough from the house that there won't be blow-back.

The vast majority of smokers these days will respect that as long as there is a comfortable place to sit, covered from the elements, with a small table, ashtray, and a bucket of sand to dump the butts safely, so they don't end up on your lawn.

I never looked at your house rules- if it said smoking allowed, you definitely shouldn't call these guests out in the review, that would be unfair.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 

The outdoor smoking area is a good idea including the bucket of sand.

I’ve been meaning to build or buy a small picnic table and when I show the patio area to people I can politely note that it’s a good place to smoke if they need to do that.

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions.

@Brian2036Well, chalk it all up to a learning experience.  It’s inevitable, early in the Airbnb hosting journey. 

Airbnb would be happy if all our calendars were stuffed full and we all only make a few bucks. Whenever Airbnb recommends something, do the opposite.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian2036 Definitely mention it, and your wording is fine. But also mention the positives- that they were quiet, polite, non-complainers who otherwise treated the space respectfully. Credit where credit is due. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sarah977 

That’s my instinct as well, but what about the star rating? 4 or 5?

These people would be fine in a place where smoking is allowed.

And since our cabin is heated by wood stoves during the winter months it’s not like it never smells a little smoky, so no real harm was done.

@Brian2036  well, they didn't deserve 5* for house rules that's for sure.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Heather1086  how about:

"Guest was pleasant and left our place clean (if true.) Communication was a bit challenging as Guest seemed to expect daily maid service and drop off of extra amenities when the space was fully stocked.  Better suited to a host that can offer a more hotel-like stay with concierge service. Unfortunately not a fit for our self-catering Airbnb space."

Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

Thank you all for the help! I wrote her review... and as expected she gave me 3 stars.... mainly based on not having AC, because she didn't clearly read the listing before booking. Oh well! Back to a 4.87 

The guests after her gave a 5 star across the board.  Can't please everyone!

@Heather1086  Bummer about the 3 stars, but her written review was actually fine, IMO. Although guests shouldn't complain about things that would have been clear, had they read the listing, her AC comment doesn't really come across as a complaint, but more of a comment, like a warning to future guests. I think those sorts of comments can be considered to be okay, in that it will help to ward off future guests who may also complain or mark you down about something you never offered in the first place.

Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

Completely agree. I’d rather have people clear on what they are getting when they rent the house! Her review (the public one) for sure didn’t match the stars that she gave. She was brand new to the platform and has a learning curve for Airbnb.