I am Happy with AIRBNB. Thanks for the good job Airbnb has been done.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I am Happy with AIRBNB. Thanks for the good job Airbnb has been done.

happy.jpg

Thank you Airbnb for the good job you have been done !

Well, maybe this topic will not attract tons of views neither likes.

Know why? It seems that the new trend is to curse Airbnb !
It seems to me that, sometimes some host has nothing to do in the life and come to the community to curse Airbnb.

If you say that you do not agree with some unhappy host...  Oh my God! It sounds an heresy to some other few hosts that are unhappy as well.

I have my listings with tons of five star reviews.
I have had great guests!
The great majority of my guest are great ones!

I am happy with Airbnb on the whole. Of course that, like any business partners, we may have had some issues. If it happened, we have to move on.
If we disagree or have some suggestion to improve the platform, do not curse! Offer constructive suggestions in a polite way!

Airbnb on the whole is a superb platform from my point of view !
Belive you me I have tried many STR platforms, even before Airbnb existed.

Deal with It!  YES, I am HAPPY WITH AIRBNB !  😊

12 Replies 12
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

It's great that you're having a good experience. We also had good experiences at one time. 

But here we are; in yet another fight with Airbnb again 🙄 Lots of kissy lip service, but no action. Over something that's not even questionable. But is costing us money. Again. 

Never had these problems until last year. But now it seems to be the new norm. 

Good on you. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Elaine701 

As what I have said in my first post of this thread, "Of course that, like any business partners, we may have had some issues." I have had a discordance with Airbnb in the past. Something that let me down.
However I have had arguments with my family members and friends as well and everything has returned to normal.
Nothing in the life is perfect. We have to move on. We have to consider the whole thing, the good results.
The resources the Airbnb platform offer to us are good. However it depends also on us, like everything in the life.
I opt for always gazing the bright side of everything.  

I hope that you find a way to continue having a good experience with your business.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@J-Renato0 

@Fred13 

Well, Airbnb offers much the same as others. VRBO is in many ways just like Airbnb. But you're right, it delivers bookings. 

Airbnb used to be the best thing that ever was. Great support, superb quality of guests. A great company and platform.

Unfortunately, both of the above are now in serious decline. Airbnb hasn't the resources to maintain what they once had. It's just too big for its own good. Outsourced support, fake insurance, fake "security deposit". Lots of terminology which, in Airbnb's interpretation, isn't anything like what the term actually means. This is just big business now. Share value is king. Profit is the means to get there. Whatever it takes. 

We're much too dependent on Airbnb, especially considering how unreliable host support has become. For us, it's urgent that we get out of that dependency. I don't trust them enough anymore to be so dependent on them. In fact, if I could, I'd shut down my account completely. Right now. But I can't. Not yet. 

But we're working on it. 😏

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Elaine701 

As far as I can remember, I have never had a problem with support or customer service. I do not know if it is because I am in a area where certainly there are less hosts than in Europe and US. Maybe there is less demand to support in my area of the earth, I do not know.
Anyway I do not resort too much to the support except when I need indeed. I try to solve things by my own means.

Speaking in practical terms, I will talk about the way I manage my listings with some peace of mind and not depending necessarily on external resources.

Like hotel companies and many small business owners do, I have a kind of self-insurance.
I save apart an small percentage of my revenue each month to replace things or to use in case of damage of the property. It can be between 2 and 4%. If something bad happens, I can fix any problem rapidly without having to resorce to external help.
I also use that fund saved apart for regular maintenance and to replace furniture and home appliances when they are wornout.
By doing this I manage my listings depending mainly on me instead of depending on decisions of others.
Of course that I would resort to Airbnb in case of a huge damaged. Of course that I would charge a guest if the guest inflicted some considerable damage to my listing.
However, if the guest refused to pay, or if the response of Airbnb would not come quickly to solve some case, I have my own means to go ahead and continue to rent my listings.

From my point of view, saving some money apart as a form of self-insurance, is something that all hosts should do. It give us peace of mind. 

That is just my "two cents".

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thanks for this budgetting tip @J-Renato0 . I've been thinking about doing something like this especially with a need we've had to change locks. Much appreciate the practical plan on a % basis. Thanks again!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@J-Renato0 

In general I am happy with Airbnb too !

But i learned to make my way around the glitches on the platform, try to ignore the bla bla of the so called "Artificial Intelligence" and most important:  if possible solve issues myself instead of contacting Airbnb.

I do not use Instant Book, the app , the dashboard, the guidebook, scheduled messages and do not  provide self check-in. I only accept booking request from guests with verified ID and always communicate with them before accepting. I do not use the option pre-approve.

Less is more !

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Emiel1 

I have been using Airbnb since 2014.  My way to use Airbnb is somewhat similar to your way. I have my own way.

In my case I use Instant Booking and my experience is good. According to my booking settings, to book instantly my accommodations the guests must have at least one review on their profile (of course, a good review). I do not use inteligent price as well.
I think that Airbnb is a flexible platform that allows the hosts to use some features or not according to their taste and preferences, and allow the hosts to set their preferences as well.

My experience with customer service is good.

Anyway I do not resort to the customer service because some guest broke some cup/glass or for something insignificant! When I really had to contact the customer service they were helpful and efficient. That is my experience.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@J-Renato0 

Look, that's great that you're having a good experience. You're lucky 

I don't care about a broken glass or if the guest checks in early or late. I have more important things to worry about. And I'd certainly never contact Airbnb about such trivial things. 

My issue is that Airbnb has outgrown itself, and simply can't handle the load anymore. Yes, they've done a great job of lip service. In the rare occasions I actually am forced to contact Airbnb with any issue, I'm always greeted with friendliness and gushing thanks for being a "super host" And how hosts like us are so great. In fact, it doesn't matter which CS representative I get, it's almost the same greeting. Nearly word for word 🤨 But do they resolve the issue? Almost never. After re 3xplsining over and over again, they send me a link to the, Airbnb policy. Thanks. But I know the policy. That's not the issue. But I'll keep trying. 

The other problem, is that I used to be able to accept almost any guest without fear. Not any more. I'm spending a lot of time vetting no profile, no history guests asking for discounts, claiming to be something they aren't, and in some cases, asking questions that suggest their expectations aren't in the same ballpark with our offerings. One very recent inquiry asked if they had to bring their own bedsheets. Erm, read the description. This isn't a youth hostel. 

I'd say 3/4 of inquiries are of this caliber. I've declined more requests this year than in our entire 12 year history. 

Then there's the illusions.

Yes, of course every hoat should retain appropriate private insurance. It's a legal requirement here. We must have it. 

Airbnbs "million dollar host guarantee" is not insurance, although they like you to believe it is. It certainly doesn't legally qualify as such. I recently has a CS rep tell me, after expressing some apprehension about a certain guest, that I shouldn't worry because I'm covered by the "host guarantee". I told her this isn't my first time hosting on Airbnb, I've been down that road before, and assured her I'm not "covered". 

Then there's the nonexistent " Security deposit. It doesn't exist. I now charge my own. Separately. I think I can be delisted for that. But I can't depend on the illusion. 

The point is, that until now, I was a true believer, like you. And (foolishly) became utterly dependent on Airbnb. But as Airbnb has "evolved", it has become more of a façade than the great platform it used to be. I think it's out of it's depth now, and has no choice but to outsource as much as possible, while maintaining the illusion, simultaneously fuelling growth by appealing to everybody by appearing to be the platform that delivers top quality for cheap.

I'm very uncomfortable being dependent on an illusion, and I'm taking steps to reduce or eliminate that dependence. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I could list 10 very annoying things Airbnb has done with my listing in the last year that are outright stupid and wrong (i.e. pandering to the hustlers of life), but at the same time it has already brought us 90 bookings (+ backed us on more than 10 occasions); we are already  re-filled us for the next year and beyond once again. Meantime VRBO has brought us a whopping 4 bookings.

"If you build it, they will come - mostly via Airbnb."

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Fred13,    Good pun on "If you build it, they will come"

I like it. I watched that old movie with Kevin Costner.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Me too... watched that movie @Fred13 . Field of dreams. It was very significant to me at that time. Love the tenor of your pitch here @J-Renato0 . Many thanks indeed. Was giving up. Will pitch in with the other positive constructors when appropriate. Thanks again for being here and for doing this . I always have time for this kind of post You may enjoy this @Dale711 . Love to all. x

Here's a visual for you. We  are like the streams of light that follow the emergence of a bright star. Someone who had a really great, creative idea that still burns and radiates enough energy to share with the  many who are lit up by it and charged with an energy that is still burning in the cosmos to this day and may go on and on... who knows... forever????  !!!!! x

With deepest gratitude to all those who have made this amazing thing happen. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great to hear you @Mary996   ! Do not give up, have your say !!!