I have a unique space that locals want to stay at but they are being blocked due to the "party" policy.

Answered!
G-T-0
Level 2
Vilonia, AR

I have a unique space that locals want to stay at but they are being blocked due to the "party" policy.

Hello!

I have a former nuclear missile complex and a number of people locally want to stay here. I've reached out to support but they've been unresponsive. I have two reservations just today that have been blocked with no resolution in sight. 

Any help is appreciated! 

GT

airbnb.com/h/titanranch

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@G-T-0 Wow!

Airbnb has recently gotten semi-serious about preventing parties and this is one of their poorly-thought-out ideas. I have read that a work-around for this problem is to temporarily change the property type to "private room" (which will circumvent the party check), then change it back after the guest books. In your shoes I would also consider allowing people to book off-platform. Using the Airbnb platform to solicit off-platform bookings is a violation of terms of service, but it sounds like your potential guests may be learning about your place elsewhere anyway.

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20

Thank you much @Colleen253 ! This is our second month doing it and so far we are happy with the results. Another 100 months like this one and I'll prove that a missile silo can make $$. 🙂 

@G-T-0 I don't have any more help to offer on your presenting problem, but your place is unique and I bet you could do pretty well as @Colleen253 suggested with an active Instagram/Facebook presence and booking directly.

@G-T-0  Wow, if this isn't a candidate for one of Airbnb's Unique Stays collections, I don't know what is. They used to comb through the inventory for listings like this to foreground in their marketing and front pages; the fact that instead they've just made it hard for you to book is further proof that they're totally asleep at the wheel and leaving everything useful up to faulty automation.

You might set your sights a little higher, perhaps a curated platform that still has a marketing budget.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@G-T-0 

I was just playing around with Your listing attempting to book friday, jan 8 through sunday,  january 10 for 6 guests. Your listing was shown as a private room and as it looks the software would let me make that reservation. Of course I didn't hit „confirm and pay“.

Maybe the „private room“ really solves the problem.

Also there shouldn't be a problem with the airbnb-anti-party-policy. Your place is 20 feet below earthlevel and Your guests would certainly not disturb any neighbours, except some moles maybe.

2020-12-29 nuclear missile listing.jpg

@Ute42 You specifically would be able to book a reservation because you are not local to @G-T-0 's area.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

One thing you should be aware of is that guests who are planning to throw a rager party in violation of your no party rule will never tell you their intentions- quite the opposite. They will tell you they are just coming with their sister, grandma and aunt to celebrate their grandma's birthday, or that they are coming with their wife and kids.

So unless a guest has a history of good reviews, don't necessarily assume that what they tell you is the truth. This particular guest may be honest, but that isn't always the case.

@G-T-0