I'm Turning Off Same Bookings... AGAIN

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

I'm Turning Off Same Bookings... AGAIN

I had a same-day booking turned on in the past. It made me uncomfortable because the guests were inconsiderate, had poor communication, and didn't care about the house rules. After several months of slow bookings, I decided to turn it on again. Bad decision!

Other hosts recommended my last two. One left with my hair dryer and paring knife; the other gave me four stars overall, but all fives otherwise because the bed (pictured in the listing) was too low for her disability. Also, she couldn't find the built-in water filter in the refrigerator. 

I had to work hard for both guests to communicate with them. It's as if they thought... I'll arrive, and it will work out. First, I sent messages through Airbnb and email, then by text, and for one guest, finally by phone. Both stated they would arrive within 5 minutes but then came hours later. 

I had the same experience last time I allowed it. Same-day booking guests are inconsiderate: 

• They don't read your listing
  • They don't read the literature provided in your Airbnb
  • They don't care about your house rules 

They don't read and don't care. 

13 Replies 13
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Jillian115 

I agree with you that last minute reservation leaves so little time to ensure we understand the guest needs for their stay and to validate if our place is the right one for them.

also, many have noted that the guest have changed since the pandemic, have you seen that post?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Post-Covid-Guest-Behavior-Changing/m-p/1641351#M2841...

Annie

Yes ! We're all hoping for the return of the international travelers. ASAP

Sorry this happened to you and yes, i agree for us as well i prefer no same day/instant booking... and yes sadly people don’t read... i would give them a tour n the house rules again, verbally but they act so surprised... before booking i tell them to be sure and read and agree, then book.

But personally i prefer less money, more quality guests. Im sure if my property was soley for renting i might just want more bookings (looks like the airbnb algorithm pushes hosts to book... but if something happens they don’t live with the emotional damage and loss if use if property). Money cannot fix everything.

follow your instincts and dont feel bad! 🙌 to many nice and lovely guests!

@Jillian115  Sad that this has happened to you. So stressful! I love spontaneity; however,  it is really necessary for my guests to read and understand the House Rules, the House Manual and the Directions. A same day booking may be really nice people, but there is not a lot of time for this preparation and communication (which I am big on). imho it is an opportunity for misunderstandings about a lot of things, which no one needs.

@Kitty-and-Creek0 Yes I agree. I love spontaneity as well. It makes me sad. When we turned it back on we were thinking  maybe we'll get bookings from guests leaving the National Park late that are too tired to drive home. But that hasn't been the case. Anyway lesson learned,  again.   

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

my same day bookings have all been fine, ok sure they don't read (one guy was a smoker), but then neither do most guests! got a group checking in today who booked weeks ago and only yesterday did she notice the no-smoking rule. don't despair @Jillian115  same day bookings can be great if it's just an overnighter. 

your cabin looks adorable, not sure why you'd have problem guests if it's mostly a couples thing, and you're on site (same as us). My little studio/cottage is even on IB, we only get couples and they are never a bother.  

What rules do you have that they are breaking?  

@Gillian166 Well thats question could be another post. "What rules are your guests breaking? " But for starters the unwritten rule...No stealing! Also, no entertaining, inviting guests over that are not on the reservation and of course no pets. I have better luck with guests that take the time to communicate and as @Kitty-and-Creek0 mentioned with same day there is not enough time to prepare. I've had some good ones I know there are a lot of great same day guests, I've done it myself. Unfortunately my record is more like 1 and 3 are okay. Another sad note... I am conditioned to have the perfect rating. I am more upset about the 4 star rating than the hairdryer and knife that were taken because I have no way of fixing it and it will take 200 - 300 reviews to overcome it. I am glad it's working for you. But I've tried it twice and have been more disappointed than successful.  

@Jillian115 sorry to hear about your bad guests.  I don't concern myself with a perfect 5* rating, of course I still get annoyed when guests give me 4* for anything but it's going to happen. so long as we keep above the 4.8 level I'm happy, and less stressed!

@Jillian115 

"I am conditioned to have the perfect rating" <<--------- All of your problems/stress will always stem from this.

@Emilia42 I noticed your ratings are perfect 5 and nearly perfect 4.99. You must care about your reviews too. are you offering same day bookings?  

@Jillian115 I don't allow same-day bookings. I never have because I don't like the thought of having to drop everything to prepare at a moment's notice. I care about reviews but I don't dwell on them. My places aren't perfect (far from it) so instead of being disappointed when I get a 4, I'm more shocked and appreciative when I get 5's. There have been plenty of times when I didn't think I was deserving of a perfect review and I still got one. I'm grateful for that. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened @Jillian115  - have you contacted Airbnb support about the missing items?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Dam... are we allowed to "discriminate" based on "stinky guest vs normal one"?

Are we not prejudicial based on our own values?

airbnb when asks "reason for decline" does not have "I do not want MY property to be destroyed"  as one of the possible answeers lol