I need a different night....

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I need a different night....

So confused by a recent booking request.

Guest is going to a wedding on a Saturday but the Saturday she wants is not available. She wants to come, bring a dog and a husband and book on a Sunday and a Monday. In her message she said she "really wants" the Saturday. I know for a fact we won't have a cancellation on this one (its blocked for a personal event we are doing.) I say "its very doubtful this will open on the Saturday you desire. Not trying to talk ourselves out of a booking but perhaps it would be best to find a place to stay that fits your dates better?" She doesn't respond to that but merely to the fact that she doesn't know how to update her reservation (she needs to reflect 2 people and not the single person that its for.)

We can't let this guest in on Saturday and I have concerns that if that is the night she really wants, she will push for that. Our check in is noon on Sunday. How would you respond?

30 Replies 30
Tommy150
Level 10
Buffalo, NY

First, why say it's very doubtful. If you know it's not gonna happen, don't even tell her maybe because that's all she'll hear. 

Ultimately, if this were me, I would just say I'm sorry this isn't a good fit. Best of luck in your search. She ready sounds like kind of a pain. Trust your gut.

@Laura2592   So they want to book a place for a date that isn't available.

And they plan to take their dog along on a short trip for an event that probably doesn't allow dogs (hence a whole day being left unattended in the property). 

This couldn't be an easier decision if the couple had "DECLINE ME" and "I'M WITH STUPID" tattooed on their foreheads.

Harsh. But fair.

@Stephen1156   You've given me an idea for my next tattoo 😉

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Ugh, @Laura2592 , I had one of those the week after Christmas. She IB'd two days, a Monday and Tuesday, but "really wanted" the Friday/Saturday, and although I was firm that those dates were booked, I kept getting the reading-between-the-lines feeling that she and the boyfriend (and dog! - yet another parallel) were going to show up Friday anyway. 

It turned out, nearly immediately, that I didn't need to do anything. The province went into yet another lockdown on December 26, and no one got to go anywhere. 

That works, but I can't recommend hoping it happens for you. 🙂 

So, yes, this has decline written all over it. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

So I tried to work with this request until she asked me to contact the guests on either side and ask them to change their reservation. Decline.

Seriously? How would that person feel if a host contacted them and asked them to move their dates?

@Laura2592  People like that don't consider how they would feel if it happened to them. It's all about them, all the time. If she was asked to move her dates, she'd no doubt give you an earful about how unprofessional you are.

@Sarah977 yeah I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt because she seemed tech challenged and the platform is not always user friendly.  But she showed her colors.  She can stay elsewhere. 

I won't lie, I've done this... But when I had a several week or month stay overlap one or two weekends and was clearly a monetary advantage for me. In thosr cases, I reached out, explained and offered the guests monetary compensation to cancel to put toward a new place. Once you add money in, most people are happy to. However, I wouldn't have done that in this case because this lady sounds like a pain.

@Tommy150 I can see entertaining this under very specific circumstances (great returning guest with whom you have that rapport for example.) But in this case, yeah, I don't know her from Adam and she seems quite ready to make demands. That is never a great place to start. People need to understand that this is not a hotel. Its not just available because you asked. And if you give me grief and have no track record whatsoever you aren't getting in the door. Its not worth it to open my beloved weekend cottage up to that.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Bullet dodged. This is what she just sent me (zero reviews, clearly didn't read the house rules, couldn't figure out how to change her reservation....)

"Wow! I stated that a Sat departure was fine. I have options for Sat night and the whole visit for that matter. It was simply a suggestion to ask the other reservation and was not meant to put you in an awkward position. I hope you won't be so presumptuous with others in the future. Have a nice day."

I feel like schooling her on why someone with zero reviews might need to act like a normal human when asking to book, but I will refrain. So glad she has an option for the whole visit! Stay. There.

“It was simply a suggestion to ask the other reservation and was not meant to put you in an awkward position.” 

This so reveals what a clueless twit this person is. Phew! So well dodged!!
@Laura2592 

@Colleen253 right. Because you should call a hotel and say "I see you are full. Can you ask if other guests might want to be bumped on nights we are planning to stay?" Or a retail store "I see you sold that item to someone else. Mind calling them to see if they will return it so I can buy it instead?"

I really hate entitlement. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I just saw these videos made by a comedian regarding demanding customers and what employees really want to say.  We aren't employees, but there are plenty of times that you want to let your inner voice speak out.

https://www.scarymommy.com/retail-karens-employees/

@Laura2592 @Colleen253 @Sarah977 @Lawrene0 @Anonymous @Tommy150 @Ann72