I think my guests have Covid

Asen50
Level 2
New York, NY

I think my guests have Covid

I have a very nice couple for guests but yesterday the lady start coughing bad and today she is coughing that hard that I can hear it in my room even. I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable but I asked them a few times if they are ok since they are staying all day long in their room and they said that she was feeling bad yesterday but now she is ok. Actually she is coughing much worst right now.

Please give me an advice what should I do in such situation.

Thank you in advance!

6 Replies 6
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Asen50   I appreciate that this must be a very difficult situation for you.  Not all coughs are caused by Covid and she may have another medical condition causing a cough which she does not want to discuss with you.  I think you are going to have to express your concerns to her though, as obviously this is a ‘home share’ situation and you all have a responsibility to keep each other safe.  Perhaps you can ask/suggest that she take a ‘Lateral Flow’ test in the first instance and then move on from there.

@Asen50  that's what I would do, tell them to buy the Covid home test and then decide what to do.

Be aware if they have Covid and you contact Airbnb about it then your future bookings will be canceled and your listing will be suspended for an indefinite time (it happened to another host who posted about it here on CC).

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Asen50 I hope you are fully vaccinated and boosted. If you are then at least the consequences of Covid are less damaging than flu for most people.

@Asen50 The Omicron variant tends to be at its most contagious before the major symptoms start presenting, so if the guests happen to have Covid, that train has already left the station. Of course, exposure was a risk you willfully accepted when you chose to do homestays during a pandemic.

Whether the guests have Covid or another contagious respiratory disease, the most responsible thing they can do is stay put until they recover. You and anyone else you live with should get tested, and if you can obtain self-tests it would make sense to offer them to the guests (though I'd stop short of requiring it). You may also require them to wear masks and socially distance in the home's common areas, and keep the living space as well ventilated as the weather allows, to lower your chances of exposure to whatever they have. 

But as @Branka-and-Silvia0 pointed out, the worst thing you could do is report it to Airbnb. Hosts are basically penalized for guests having Covid. 

@Anonymous  Hosts are basically penalized for guests having Covid. 

That is horrible... We give our homes and then we get penalized...

Asen50
Level 2
New York, NY

Thank you all! So far they did one Covid test and it was negative. I hope it's something else..