I've just had one of my oddest guest experiences and possibly my shortest ever stay

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've just had one of my oddest guest experiences and possibly my shortest ever stay

Not 100% sure how to interpret this one. I don't want to seem paranoid, but after the unexpected 3* review I recently received, which will cost me my Superhost status, I'm starting to worry if I'm getting something really wrong.

A young local lady booked one of my rooms quite last minute for the Xmas/New Year period while she was waiting for her new apartment to be available (turns out it was last minute because the Airbnb host she was previously booked with nearby contracted COVID and had to cancel). She was supposed to stay for 2.5 weeks. 

This was the kind of guest I hope to receive. She had no reviews, but her communication was great, she seemed absolutely lovely, checked in early evening yesterday and said the house was beautiful. She went to work early the following day. As I hadn't seen her, I messaged later in the evening to ask if everything was okay or if she needed anything. She told me all was fine, she was visiting friends and would probably stay with them that evening, come back the following evening (today), leave again to visit family for Xmas and then be back.

Shortly after she returned this evening, she told me her plans had changed and that she might be away longer than she originally thought. A few minutes after that, she came back downstairs and told me she would be checking out now and not coming back and that she was sorry and hoped that was okay with me.

I told her that of course, if her plans had changed, that is fine, but I was worried that she was leaving because something was wrong. She assured me that everything was fine, she thought it was the prettiest, coolest house she had ever been in, I was super lovely etc. etc. and then a few minutes later, off she went.

She didn't ask for a refund, but I brought it up because I wasn't sure if she was assuming she would get one. I told her if she wanted to cancel the stay, I would open up the dates for a 10 day stay (don't normally do that as I host long term and 2.5 weeks was already lower than my usual 28 day minimum) and refund her any rebooked nights, although can't guarantee that at this short notice. She was interested, but seemed a bit uncomfortable even talking about that and kid of told me not to worry. I am waiting to see if she cancels or not.

Really not sure what to make of this. Should I be worried?

77 Replies 77

@Huma0  I would leave it alone.  You were able to get the 3 star review taken out so you will keep super host rating so you don't really need the review, and as you say, there is always the chance it will backfire and you'll get a 4 star.  This is one of the reasons why we stopped following up with guests who were complimentary about the apartment, and now only leave a review when the guest does or when we think other hosts have to be told about bad behavior.  Sometimes after sending a reminder about the review, boom, we got a 4.  Now, the only people I ever follow up with after a week are those who literally raved about how they loved the stay, so I can be almost sure they will leave 5 stars.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Thank you. That was kind of my gut feeling. I stopped chasing for reviews a long time ago. Sometimes guests do not leave reviews if they feel a bit dissatisfied. They liked you so they feel bad about leaving anything less than 5* and would rather leave nothing at all.

The reason I was asking in this case is because the guest did rave about the house and also about me. However, she left very early, so who knows...?

I think I will just leave it be.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

The guest left me a review and it was 5* all round, so I guess I was stressing about nothing! 

Whenever I have a bad review/ratings experience, especially if it is an unexpected one, I do get a bit nervous about the next two or three reviews. One of the downsides about hosting long term is that each review can have a big impact.

Anyway, at least there is a happy ending to this one!