I want to have my daughter check out a house. Why can I not have a phone number to communicate with the owner?

Tim2166
Level 1
Fenwick Island, DE

I want to have my daughter check out a house. Why can I not have a phone number to communicate with the owner?

I wNt to have my daughter check out a property before I commit. I need the phone number of the host. Why r u blocking that number?

gretchen

38 Replies 38

@Ute42 Haha, I changed my mind because you made me second guess myself! But I still don't know which one is correct 🙂🙂

@Emilia42   The way you originally wrote it is perfectly ok.  They are both grammatically correct, but they mean something slightly different. 

I had no trouble understanding what you were saying in your original post. Actually, as far as written English goes, it seems like a better construction to use "wouldn't" in both places. Call it better use of language. 

Using "wouldn't" first, then "would" doesn't make nearly as much sense.

Lol! Ah I'm disappointed in you @Ute42 - I thought you'd have figured out from my earlier comment to @Sarah977 re education, that I didn't actually have a bloody clue what the correct answer was, because I was never in school long enough or often enough to learn proper grammar! I may have a lot of words, but that's only because I've read a lot of books. Not many of those books would have been big on grammar either, though (Martina Cole's books, for example) 

Besides, I'm only opinionated on subjects I'm (reasonably) confident I know quite a lot about - and correct grammar ain't one of them! :))😉😉

@Ute42 

I was a bit stung by Ireland not having a horse in this race, so I consulted with my friend, who's waaay smarter than me, and did go to school (he's also an editor of a national newspaper, and has written a couple of books himself, so this is up his street). This is his response.. 

They both could be right. Just different insinuation.

1. Just because you wouldnt drown a puppy doesn't mean others wouldnt.

So some others might do that - even though you wouldnt.

2. Just because you wouldnt drown a puppy doesn't mean others would drown a puppy.

I.e. you're making it a notable quality that you wouldnt drown a puppy, but that doesn't mean other people would do it.

I hope that makes more sense to you, than it does to me 😉 

Hi @Susan17 ,

this is Ute, the Case Manager of the „wouldn't poll“ project. Hope this message finds you well. I am sending this message based on Your complaint that You felt a bit stung by Ireland not having a horse in this race. Unfortunately, we can do nothing in this situation.

I understand that this is not the resolution you were hoping for.

For the meantime, I will be closing this case. Should you have follow-up questions or if you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact the help center https://www.airbnb.com/help

Regards

@Ute42 

Whaaaat...??  Case closed? Not even an appeals process..? What sort of a shady mickey-mouse outfit are you running there at all? I've had enough of your nonsense. I'll be taking my gee-gee to pastures new, where he'll get a fair crack of the whip. 

Signed: Disgusted, Dublin. 

Hi @Ute42    I am in the "wouldn't" column, because I support what @Emilia42 originally wrote. 

It isn't a question of which sentence is correct. It's a question of what @Emilia42  meant when she originally wrote her post. 

The two sentences mean something different.  

Let me try this again. 

Bob and Sally are at the beach. Sally does not like to sail.

Sally wouldn't go sailing. 

Now, we are trying to see what Bob will do. 

He can please Sally and stay with her, or he can go sailing. 

PART 1                                                     PART 2

a) Sally wouldn't go sailing (means) Bob wouldn't go sailing .   Bob is going to do what Sally wants.

b) Sally wouldn't go sailing (means) Bob would go sailing .    Bob is going to do the opposite of what Sally wants. 

Now put the negative in.  

c) Sally wouldn't go sailing (doesn't mean) Bob wouldn't go sailing .   Sally is not sailing but maybe Bob will, if he's in the mood for it. Could go either way, but it is likely Bob would do the opposite thing. 

d) Sally wouldn't go sailing (doesn't mean) Bob would go sailing.   Sally is not sailing and it seems likely she will influence Bob to do the same thing. 

This is not a grammar thing - it's an English comprehension thing, which makes more sense if one is a native English speaker, and probably no sense at all to an English second-language speaker. 

I agree with @Susan17 's newspaper editor. 

What started this, originally, was that @Emilia42  's post clearly (to me anyway) gave the sense that she doubted that other people were going to do the same thing. i.e. one person wouldn't (abuse the process of giving out a host phone number)  but others might well (abuse the process of giving out a host phone number).  So, clearly (to me, anyway),  option (c) above is the correct way to say that. 

@Ute42 

"Nur weil ich es nicht tun würde, heißt das nicht, dass andere es auch nicht tun würden."

Translated :

"Just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean others wouldn't do it too"

What about this version ? 🙂

A friend of mine from Australia said... English language is not strict like German language... you can freely improvice as long others understand what you mean .... from this moment on I started talking without feers of saying something wrong 🙂🙂🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Don't be discouraged, @Tim2166 , this host forum is full of wonderful, knowledgeable hosts who on occasion will veer off course.  To your issue, it is understandable that you want information before you commit to a reservation.  As you are new to this platform, you probably think it operates like other accommodation platforms.  As you have found, it does not operate like that.  So it would be best for you to consider if this system works for you or would you be more comfortable with a hotel, B&B, inn or motel.  If you want to pursue this listing, asking the host relevant questions after you have read the listing and looked at the pictures should provide you with want you need.  Good luck!