Identification Verification

John203
Level 2
Jan Juc, AU

Identification Verification

I am who am Am..... Superhost for ages.... I still get this stupid Airbnb ID request required to continue hosting.

This Platform, and Airbnb's success in general, was judged on Mutual respect and fair judging and assessment of host/guest review.

If They want me to post a Photo of myself for their records, They should ask themselves "why would I jeopardize my own Listing by pretending to be another person".

Is it time for a new player in the market who can return to this trust?

Kind Regards, John Kelsall.

4 Replies 4
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @John203 

I can see your point, but I don't personally I have problem with it.

I require that my guests have government ID in order to book, I think it's a fair enough  that I am also verified to prove I am who I say I am.

I'm sure you are honest, but when you ask "why would I pretend to be someone I"m not?" well there's a heap of really great reasons if you are a scammer and dishonest... adn there has been proof time and time again that there are plenty of hosts who are NOT creating chaos on the platfrom

Here is just one article 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/airbnb-montreal-aj-host-suspended-accounts-1.5252233

I certainly think a  new player would be welcome, but for me personally, it's not because airbnb are asking hosts to verify, it's because they lack accountability  and transparency, rarely seem to honour their host guarantee, give conflicting advice, fail to answer difficult and uncomfortable questions, have endless computer glitches resulting in hosts losing money, force hosts to take a financial loss when a guest has failed to take out adequate ( or any) travel insurance, etc etc etc

Karla119
Level 3
Cologne, Germany

This is bull**bleep**! I have the same issue! I have been a host for over two years, am superhost. Of course they have all my identification and know who I am and where I live. They also say on their own Website that if one doesn't want to give the ID they have other means of checking the identity. Instead they are forcing me to upload a photo of myself (wtf for?!!!) and an ID. I have written them so many times and told them I am not willing to do it. There is something like data protection. There is twitter having been hacked and so many other Internet platforms. With the copy of my ID harm can be done and I am not willing to risk it. Particularly because it is not necessary!!!!!!!!!!! Of course there is no Email you can contact AirBnB. Of course there is not telephone numer you can contact AirBnB. Of course they do not respond when I write them throught their crappy really bad contact procedure. There is nothing I can do, without doing what they want I cannot post a second flat for rent. How stupid, they would profit from this! What to say, they pretend that you are a superhost and at the same time treat you like some criminal ghost! Not to add that now they say: well, you have not had enough bookings, if by the end of october this doesn't change, you will no longer be superhost. f... off!!!! I have my listing open for booking every day, however, dear AirBnB, have you heard of Corona Virus, people are not travelling, so I am no longer a superhost because of that? I am so fed up, and I have only mentioned two issued I am having with AirBnB. There are so many more!  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Karla119 You say 'there is something like data protection' - indeed there is so you should be confident that the GDPR in Europe will protect you or Airbnb will get a bit fine

Not sure about your superhost rant - anyone already a superhost maintained that status in July

丽萍0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

@John203 We had a Johnnie Walker (18 y/o) who wish to come with his underage friends....(17 years). It is a sign, right?