Imaginary expectations

Jane2692
Level 3
Bad Soden, Germany

Imaginary expectations

I need a rant….

i am personally tired of guests who have imaginary expectations.

We just had one who marked us down on accuracy and location.

i feel like after 5 years we have every base covered in the house description  for accuracy and the location is what it is.  

On this occasion the guest said even though it was all great it would have been better if we had our own parking space (we make it clear there’s no parking space),if there was a tram nearby (the house is in a tiny German village) and maybe near nature (we are surrounded by woodland).

why is it that guests seem to think it’s ok to score based on their imaginary perfect expectations? 

if they wanted a parking space, for example, why didn’t they find a house with a parking space?

A few weeks ago we had a guest who gave a lower score for cleanliness as he didn’t think it was necessary to have books on a shelf in the living room or condiments in the kitchen cupboard! 

In between of course we have had many wonderful guests and I know I should just focus on them. 

i just think it’s unfair when you have a very clear description that 99% of guests understand/read and the 1% who just need to find fault.

does anyone else get annoyed by these things?

7 Replies 7
Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Jane2692   Greetings Jane.  Oh yes, those imaginary expectations. Irritating to the extreme.  No matter how clear we make everything, some guests will not read but they will complain. Keep going Jane.  Best wishes to you from Anthony

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

Unfortunately this is one of those things that happens from time to time, and it's unfair but there's nothing we hosts can do about it. I think it is in some people's nature to never give 5/5 and so they look for something to mark down. I've had people complain I don't have a fridge in the bedroom, complain that they can't use my washer and dryer, and so on, even though these are clearly pointed out in the listing. Many host have complained to Airbnb CS about these unfair reviews, but nothing changes.

Jane2692
Level 3
Bad Soden, Germany

Thank you for reply!

nice to hear from someone from near my true home town- Chester!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Jane2692 

My only minor suggestion would be to include a pic of a map in the first ten pics, such as screen shot of google maps with the route to the city highlighted.  

But even then its impossible to avoid getting marked down in location. To me it happens about once every fifty reviews. Here is the most recent. Overall 5 star review and even said it was picturesque location in the review. He even borrowed a phone charging cable from one of my neighbors. 

I don't even worry about it. Its just part of hosting. About 5% of guest don't read listing at all. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.35.58 AM.png

Jane2692
Level 3
Bad Soden, Germany

Brilliant! Thanks John!

@Jane2692 Thanks for raising the issue. Hopefully Airbnb can figure out some improvements. I don't see how its helping anyone if guest states it is an excellent location in the written review then marks it down in the sub reviews. As you said some guest have imaginary expectations and the review is more of a wish list for their next stay, not an accurate review. 

@Jane2692  Guests aren't professional critics. The very same people might complain because the latest Pixar cartoon didn't have any nudity, or a Michelin starred restaurant didn't offer a cheeseburger. Once you've confirmed a booking, imaginary expectations are completely out of your hands.

But if you're not using Instant Book, it's completely within your power to confirm through dialogue that you're on the same page before accepting a booking. It's amazing what you catch when you put up a filter like that - people book something by swiping a couple thumbnails and tapping a few buttons on their phone, with no idea what they're committing to, so it shouldn't be surprising that they turn up totally clueless about what the listing actually offered.