In search of long-term options - is there a way to reach hosts?

Christina1527
Level 1
College Corner, OH

In search of long-term options - is there a way to reach hosts?

Dear AirBnB community,

The option to rent long-term (6 months) is what I am looking for. I am looking in a specific town, and there are some options, but the rates are really high per/month. Is there anyway to contact the host about negotiating?

Any advice,
Thanks.

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christina1527

You can use the "contact host" link on a listing to make an inquiry.

Thank you! I was looking for that option, and assumed that feature would be blocked unless one had an active booking. BUT! You are right, at the bottom of a listing there is the opportunity to "contact host." Many thanks. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Christina1527 

Why not try some FB groups for long term options in that area,

Airbnb could work out expensive month by month because of the fee's,

Maybe contact some Real estate guys

Thanks for the idea. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christina1527 

As a host who focuses on long term stays (one to six months), I find it annoying when guests try to negotiate on price, especially when they ask to pay substantially less than is advertised. The last time I accepted a guest who did this, she left me low ratings on almost everything, even though she thoroughly enjoyed her stay and made the most of the facilities, because she said "It was over my original budget." So, I'd be unlikely in future to accept any guests who try to haggle and judging by comments I have read on this forum, I am not the only host who feels that way!

Also, most hosts who offer long term stays already have a long term discount and often these are quite substantial. You should check this first in the price breakdown and take that into consideration when contacting hosts. Some hosts may be open to negotiation because it is such a long stay. However, bear in mind that the cancellation policy means that a guest can book for six months and then alter the stay to one month, so it is a risky thing for them to do.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christina1527 We don't do long term bookings but wouldn't worry at all if a guest used the inquiry method to ask about a rate for a longer term. In high season we would probably say no but in low season we would consider it.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you want to have a long term rental through Airbnb @Christina1527 ?

You have no contract and no rights as a tenant and you pay a high commission.

Of course it's expensive through Airbnb. Just use local estate agents and online long term rental websites for your area.

By the way many hosts myself included don't consider requests for discounts particularly during this time of hugely increasing utilities in many areas.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Christina1527,

If you are looking for a place in the US, I recommend that you try Furnished Finders.