Instant booking

Susan4640
Level 2
Groton, MA

Instant booking

Hello Airbnb hosts ~

I am a new host (since end of April) and expecting my 8th guest/booking this weekend.  My "Instant Booking" is turned on and I'm a bit confused how it works.  I understand there are advantages and disadvantages to "instant booking" but it's not clear to me what exact the advantages are.

In most bookings so far,  I have gotten a "request to book" or "inquiry" from the guest first.  Then Airbnb asks me to "accept" or "decline".  I must say - I find it very helpful when the guests introduce themselves, state why they are traveling/staying at your place, so that I can anticipate their needs.  I have only declined two guests so far: one was a rather rude woman who wanted to stay here with her husband and 3 children (3, 5, & 12) when my listing clearly states there is one queen bed, a couch, and "not suitable for children under 12" due to pond, pool, electric cattle fence, etc.  The other was a request to have a baby shower in my yard, and book 2 nights around -  but it was too short notice and leaving me too little time for cleaning between guests.

Four times I suddenly got an "instant" booking.  I think it's generally fine, and I've never declined a guest because they are new to Airbnb and have no reviews (as long as they are "verified") - but I can see how it could be a nightmare - for instance, if the woman with the 3 small children "instant booked".   Clearly a huge liability if the parents didn't keep constant track of their children!  

In a nutshell, it seems Airbnb only asks me to accept or decline a guest if they inquire or have a question first.  Is that correct?   I'd appreciate your feedback on whether instant booking is a good idea, bad idea, or potential for a nightmare!

Thanks!

Susan

1 Reply 1
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Susan4640 

I had a quick look through the Community Center and found this post which has some more information on what your fellow hosts think about Instant Booking.

Hope this helps!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines