Is Airbnb getting a bad reputation?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Is Airbnb getting a bad reputation?

I know as hosts we all lament the lack of support on various issues. It seems that the cache' of this particular platform may be falling with guests as well.

I was speaking to a coworker and the subject of my ABB space came up. "Oh no," he said "I don't stay on ABB. That is the site for kids booking parties and affairs." He went on to cite a few news stories and said he only books on VRBO. He does a fair amount of traveling with kids in college in different states, so he was definitely well versed in various hospitality options.

I have heard about "AffairBNB" over time but I didn't realize that the party platform reputation might be bleeding into the mix as well. I am not saying that VRBO is the answer, and ABB does bring in bookings, but it could be that the notoriety of a wild west/anything goes sort of stay the platform is getting a reputation for is beginning to scare off decent guests. Has anyone heard similar sentiments expressed?

7 Replies 7
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 My Vrbo guests definitely skew to ‘actual adult homeowners’ bracket. ABB tends toward younger, groups, international. I’ve had good & bad on both but I will say the tools available to me at Vrbo make dealing with problems easier so I’m much more cautious with ABB guests bc I know as soon as I get within 24hours of their arrival date then I’m stuck with them regardless of what tomfoolery they subject us to. 

I noticed the same

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

And, yes, early on I got the “what do you mean I can’t invite a bunch of buddies over all night? This is ABB, that’s what it’s for!”

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

I haven't heard any rumors to that effect but I just recently put my listing on Airbnb.

Before that we had a local management company that listed our property with all of the online platforms, basically inserted themselves as middlemen, and treated us like mushrooms. We did not have access to any of the platforms, couldn't read or write reviews, we never knew who, when, or how many people were coming, and we got less than half of what the customers were paying.

Going directly with Airbnb has been much better, obviously. Currently I haven't listed the property anywhere else, although I did try Booking.com and VRBO.  After hours of tearing at my hair in frustration I decided to just scrap that project.

Not so easy...they make it almost impossible to cancel a listing. After several hours more I did get it done, but I'm not much interested in trying again, so it's Airbnb all the way for us.

Incidentally, listing our property here was so seamlessly smooth that I nearly cried with relief when I finished.

@Laura2592  I don't know if Airbnb has actually lost its original cachet - its brand image still seems to be holding steady with the young, Western, budget/midrange travel demographic it was built on. The farther you get from that core group in age, culture, or financial status, the less comfortable your peers are with booking an Airbnb.  I'd liken it to a certain kind of politician, who quickly builds a passionate following among a key generation, but who struggles to find a balance between energizing the base and expanding it - and then, once they're seen as being empty-headed and beholden to the donor class, they wind up accomplishing neither.

In the near future, we may find that their biggest mistake was trying to expand too fast into market domination with a brand that just couldn't be stretched that thinly. The attempt to rebrand as a luxury product with Plus and Luxe was an ill-fated experiment that only alienated the core market. The Bad Romance it has with big-time property managers has expanded the inventory but only with a deluge of crap listings. The injection of hotel listings into the search results made them look hopelessly unfocused. And ever since they outsourced and downsized customer service, they've guaranteed that hundreds of people every day will experience a totally clueless person as a direct representative of the brand and conclude they have no idea what they're doing. 

And now we have the explosion of parties during the pandemic, which seems to be the first thing that comes to mind for many people when they think of Airbnb. They're not entirely to blame for the destructive and occasionally deadly incidents we've seen in the news. But on the other hand, this crisis seems like a predictable consequence of all the ways they've encouraged a passive, hands-off model of hosting. Listings are privileged in search if they offer self-check-in and Instant Book, and hosts' efforts to protect their homes with surveillance are penalized whenever a guest complains. Many hosts are even afraid to decline bookings that look like trouble because they get threats about their Acceptance Rate. Forget about this "Made possible by hosts" BS - the overwhelming message here is that the more engaged you are with vetting your guests and supervising your home, the likelier your listing is to fail. 

I think Airbnb could have some real longevity if it gave up its quest for industry domination and narrowed down its focus to what it can actually be good at: short-term vacation rentals from a diverse assortment of low-volume, fully engaged hosts who know how to keep their properties under control and still deliver great hospitality. Winking at you here, Chip.

Alexander1236
Level 1
Big Pine Key, FL

Airbnb is getting worse and worse each day, breaking new bottoms.. since thier IPO, thier polices have changed, they do not care about guests anymore, therefore they will lose all their hosts eventually too.. I stopped using Airbnb for travel, as you are not getting the proper service. They values hosts more than they value guests, who actually pay for all this! VRBO is much better in this case, they do have better support but technology is bit outdated, believe it is because they have much less resources as not have access to venture funds as Airbnb did. Airbnb is temporary , and new more efficient and much cheaper alternatives appear, such as DTravel for example. Just can not wait it becomes the mainstream.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 

There are some ways Airbnb could improve reputation and decrease problematic guest. 

-- Don't prioritize Instant Book over Request to Book.

Allow host option for Request to Book to include verified ID. Don't penalize host for declining guest with no ID verified. (submitting photo ID)

Allow host to require instructions on what info guest needs to include when making reservation when using Request to Book. 

Instead ABB has decided to restrict all young people from making reservation for whole houses or apartments if they didn't have 3 or more positive reviews. The policy has changed some but its still blocking people without any way for host or CS to override. 

-- Would be nice if Airbnb could adjust the review process so that bad guest can't use it to retaliate. 

-- Stop promoting bad behavior in their ads. Dogs on the bed, children standing up on tables, or in most recent ad running around with a sheet over their head. So frustrating, when guest eat in bed, ruin new sheets or towels, and host have to pay the entire replacement cost! 

-- Only allow service animals not ESA with zero documentation. Or Airbnb should also automatically pay out any damages without involving the guest, as host can't require or even ask anything about their ESA, which means host has zero notice to help prepare the place for a pet.

-- Also allow guest to respond directly to text message notifications from Airbnb without having to sign back into their account and it still show up in the messages. A lot of guest likely try to respond to text message, send it, and get notice it didn't go through, and aren't going to message twice, and think its host that has put some restrictions. Even my most recent returning guest wondered why she didn't email from me. There shouldn't be some hidden cryptic work around for basic communication.  

(All of the above is cultivating guest and reputation to do what ever you want, extort host, get away with bad behavior.)