Is Airbnb signed up with Hopper to sell our browsing data? Is this new income stream a boon to Stockholders at Host expense?

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Is Airbnb signed up with Hopper to sell our browsing data? Is this new income stream a boon to Stockholders at Host expense?

Just a theory of mine which makes sense of the platform redesign and the AI role in controlling and directing the user's Search activity.

The more time the user spends Searching the more data is collected. The user's profile is expanded  every minute and developed and sold for more coin.

Check out the Hopper site and study it's layout and graphics and it's  stated role and purpose in managing a company's AI systems.

Imagine how much data harvesting income the vast Airbnb global community would generate.  Imagine how delighted the Stockholders would be with Brian Chesky for making this bold move.

Keep in mind Brian Chesky majored in Graphic Arts in College. And Joe Gebbia  majored in Computer Sciences. And the third partner Nate Blechanczjk I believe was brought on board for general Business Management role.

The very idea of making tons of money from the vast pool of users globally by selling their consumer data is on par with the very idea of going Public selling stocks. 

The eye candy glamour Listings spread across the middle of the front page are bait for the viewer to bite and browse for a while, then getting back to why they went on Airbnb in the first place  was get a place to stay. All of us mom and pop Hosts who have worked to build a small business with out properties are the quaint reminders of how Airbnb came to be now standing in line behind other "products" which generate revenue for the company. 

Susan
9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Susan990 

It is not a secret Airbnb is collecting data from their members while "surfing "on the platform, which data can also be valuable for others (to be sold)

Looking at the "cookie list" it also shows a lot of third parties are probably tracking the activity of the members (most people accepts all cookies)

Yah but- the whole layout graphically is now more like an on-line magazine- all eye candy/low on content. Is there more money in browsing data than in booking fees? 

Susan
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

For sure, abb is more of a data mine than a travel merchant. 

OK now you said it-- travel merchant.   When did ABB become a travel merchant? I thought it was in the business of lodging/heads in beds/str/ a hotel alternative.  I knew the ship was sailing in a new direction when the very first question it asked our guests was " how was your trip?"  Not- How was your stay.

And I remember BC announcing that ABB was soon going to be a part of the entire experience i.e. every part of the trip.   Notice the new announcement that soon will be offering " travel insurance", that product already market tested to return major money as only a small percentage of policy holders ever submit a claim. That is the insurance industry for you.

Susan
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Susan 990 . you made me laugh Susan .We all assume that there is a reason that we are being dangled off a cliff . Truth is there isnt . someone has made a mistake . nothing to do with us ,we are just the jam in the middle . Irrelevant and always have been to the mega builders. We are powerless to affect this clumsy attempt at whatever in hell they are doing .Did you ever see the web made by a spider after it had marijuana smoke blown on it? Thats whats happening here The data will be useless and any degrees that anyone has are also irrelevant , because they are not apparently in use. What we must all understand that is is just pictures. I remember the fab pictures  that I was given for my new shed.   but then the reality simply did not happen for a very long time and a lot of grief.All I am saying is ,to do a series of flash cards  in front of potential guests in order to steer them away from the bookings that they are trying to choose ,and  convincing them that there are no places to book is a disaster for the platform as well as the hosts.Hopefully guests will persist and find what they want and Airbnb will remove what is basically crappy advertising . H

or else you are right.

My "theory" connects to the forced use of IPhones for all consumer search uses and booking events.  Airbnb is now IPhone friendly-- not computer friendly. 

Susan
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Susan990 

Thank you for your patience. Airbnb does not sell personal information to third parties. This information, along with how personal information is processed at Airbnb, can be found in our Privacy Policy

Hope this clears things up!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Jenny   Personal Information by definition is NOT synonymous with Browsing Data. When the platform ask to "allow cookies" it is asking that we give permission for our browsing data to be tracked and harvested.  What they do with it is then ABB's own business. 

If I am wrong on this please somebody help me understand this issue. If you study the Hopper site you cannot avoid noticing the connections to the new platform.  I counted about 10 details and design features too  obvious to miss. But I am 74 years old and did not grow up with this computer age- I just try to keep up with it.

Susan