Would you be nervous about getting a review from this guest?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Would you be nervous about getting a review from this guest?

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling. Guest has instant booked, and sent a short message including all the info I ask for. She is bringing her dog but did not add the dog to the reservation and I charge a $10 pet fee. I sent an alteration request, with a polite note, adding the dog to the reservation. I hate asking guests for more money, but, my fee is my fee and I need to make sure it's collected. (no response to the alteration request yet)

She has one 5-star review as a guest and THIS is how she reviewed the host:

"The townhouse is in a great neighborhood. Quiet and convenient to stores and restaurants. It was clean and the kitchen had mostly everything we needed.

I didn't appreciate being messaged by K*** on the 2nd day regarding my "HUGE" 50lb dog being out on the deck for less than a couple of minutes at midday and barking at a passing dog. I also did not like having the cleaning crew arriving at 10:10 on the morning of our departure while we were packing up to leave."

The host responded that check-out time is 10am so already, we have a guest complaining when SHE was the one who disregarded check-out time. I'm not worried about the dog, I'm worried this "type" of guest is going to get pissy about me requesting the pet fee (even though it's stated in my listing) and then, I predict her screwing up my 5-stars. Not that it matters, but it's like having a brand new car and you're so careful not to get it dinged. That first ding you get hurts!

In my former listing, I had over 100 5 star reviews, and my ONLY 4 star review came from someone just. like. this. I can smell it. But I hope I'm wrong.

32 Replies 32

@Suzanne302  That's a guest I would have declined without hesitation. I think you've correctly clocked this person's attitude, and honestly my concerns wouldn't stop at the review. You also have a clear preview of how she'll behave if there's any kind of issue during the stay, or damage found afterward. Heaven forbid you have to contact the guest for any reason - she definitely doesn't appreciate that. 

But OK, it's not an option to use Instant Book but also screen guests based on how they're likely to review. This one probably doesn't merit using up a "free" cancellation. But on the plus side, once you've got that first ding you never need to worry over the unrealistic goal of keeping an eternal 5 ever again.

@Anonymous 

Yeah,  we get a sixth sense for these sort of things after hosting for so long, don't we?? I get the feeling she is a guest who will find something to complain about, even if everything is perfect.

I'm torn between sucking it up and taking that first ding or calling CS to tell them how uncomfortable I am hosting this guest. In over 4 years, the only time I've canceled on a guest was after a Covid exposure. I've NEVER canceled because I was uneasy about hosting them. Ugh. I'm leaning toward just letting it happen. In the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal.

Honestly I’ve had zero luck with host customer service. I’m always afraid of declining folks since Airbnb likes to ding us hosts and have had scary guests as a result. I’ve just resigned myself to a permanent 4.98. 😉 I think as long as your reviews are good, you’ll be ok. Good luck!!

@Suzanne302  I can think of one option in between, and I can only recommend it to hosts who are skilled with nuanced communication, like yourself. It would be to contact the guest directly with a better version of something like:

"In preparation for your stay, I noticed you weren't fully satisfied with your last Airbnb, so I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page about a few things, so I can be sure you have a perfect experience here..."

That gives you an opening to express everything you need to get across about rules, pets, and checkout procedure, but in a way that makes the guest feel you're giving her the benefit of the doubt. If she has a flare-up in response, you have more substantial grounds to cancel. But if she responds like a reasonable human being, there's a better chance that she'll see your side of things when it comes to review.

Not to give her too much credit (really, her attitude is genuinely entitled and foul), but lately it seems most guests have no contact with their hosts unless they're being remotely nagged about something. The absence of a human touch is making everyone grumpy.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you have IB just ask them to cancel penalty free. @Suzanne302 

@Helen3 

I think it's too late for that. I LOATHE contacting CS for any reason and try to avoid it at all costs, so that's probably why I didn't reach out immediately. I was trying to adjust my attitude about it instead!

This woman may turn out to be horrible, or not. But either way, I'M not going to match her energy. 🙂

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear I've always found their CS really helpful.

You must have had some truly awful experiences with them @Suzanne302 

Just a heads up, Airbnb CS won't let you cancel without penalty in a situation like this.  I've tried it and they really didn't care at all that I was uncomfortable with the reservation.  (The guest seemed fine initially, but then the demands started coming in after I already accepted).  I just did my best to roll with it, and, while she WAS a crappy guest, she did end up leaving a good review.  Good luck!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can cancel penalty free three times if you use IB @Jennifer2682 

Oh, just re-read the original post and saw it was IB.  Yes, @Helen3 , you're right!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I can imagine the feeling you got when you read the review...as the blood drained from your head, @Suzanne302. This isn't going to end well. 

@Gordon0 

That about sums it up, lol!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Suzanne302  I’ve had success in the past with getting CS to cancel for me when a guest was able to IB but something in their profile looked problematic. Can’t hurt to call and ask. You have dishonesty about dog and a clear case of she thinks rules are suggestions. Try it. 

@Kelly149 

The only time I've canceled a reservation was due to a Covid exposure and so I called CS. I know IB hosts get 3 "freebie" cancellations online but I've never put this into practice. Can you cancel online without calling CS and just say you're uncomfortable hosting this guest? Which is 110% true!