Is it possible that a guest has never left a review?

Liberty22
Level 2
Tinamaste, Costa Rica

Is it possible that a guest has never left a review?

Hi everyone! 

I'm new to hosting, have welcomed a few guests and everything has been going pretty well. I've just received a confirmed booking from someone who has clearly travelled and stayed in many places, and received good reviews from all the hosts they have stayed with. However, out of curiosity I decided to check their previous reviews of previous hosts and stays.

However, after going through all the listings possible, I have not found a single review. I do not want to download AirReview as it just seems too dodgy, and I went through everything meticulously so I wouldn't have missed their review. Is it possible that someone would stay in dozens of places and receive reviews from hosts, but never make one themselves? Have you encountered this? 

They seem nice and I'm not exactly stressed, but I am very curious as to how this could be. I've gone through almost every single listing in which they have previously stayed, and not one review found. 

Thanks for any feedback or previous experiences! 

10 Replies 10
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Liberty22 olá isso acontece com frequência 

de o anfitriã dar sua avaliação ao hospede!

e ele não da avaliação dele isso e um pouco

frustante!

att.Loni

Liberty22
Level 2
Tinamaste, Costa Rica

Sim, especialmente em tantas ocasiões diferentes!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liberty22  Yes, it's possible. Some people just aren't into the review culture thing. 

If you are curious about something like that, just ask the guest. "I see you have great reviews, but I noticed you haven't left reviews for any of your past hosts. I was just curious why that might be- are you just not enamoured of the whole review thing or ? It's of interest to me because I'm a relatively new host and it's important to me to build up some good reviews, just like it's important to guests to get good reviews so they will be easily accepted by other hosts."

Hi Sarah! Ok good to know! Though this person I notice is or was a host on Airbnb as well, so must know that reviews are important. 

I think I might ask them, that's a good idea! I'll do it in person, they'll be arriving in a few days and I really am very curious about it. Hope they don't think me too weird for asking, haha. 

@Liberty22  Yes, a casual in-person conversation is often fine. As a host himself, he should understand the importance of reviews or be a "serial non-reviewer"- did you check whether he even leaves reviews for his guests?

It's also worth pointing out to guest with a history of not reviewing that while it's not crucial that guests leave reviews for experienced hosts with pages of good reviews under their belts, for a new host trying to attract bookings, it's far more important. 

But of course you should try not to give guests the feeling you are pressuring them, just casually talking about it.

Michael-O-Reilly0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Meenderry, Ireland

Hi, Just in relation to your question, I have been hosting since 2016 ( Ireland), and I have had a few guests who never left reviews, one guest told me that he had booked multiple listings during his visit to Ireland, and sometimes he might only stay for the one night in each listing, he wanted to see as much of Ireland as possible during his vacation, and because of this, he said

he would often miss out on reviewing his stays. He did acknowledge the importance of host and guests reviews, he was an exceptional guest.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liberty22  While guests (and some hosts) may not leave reviews because they don't like the review thing or just can't bothered, some people, which might not be the case with this guest at all, simply have poor writing skills and may shy away from writing any more than absolutely necessary. 

It's a shocking statistic for a first world country, but 21% of the adult US population is classified as fully or functionally illiterate. It doesn't mean they're stupid, but just never learned to read and write properly, either because of poor schooling, or some learning disability like dyslexia.

I used to scratch my head over why Mexican tradespeople would seldom answer a text message, but pick up the phone if I called. Then one day it struck me- they are probably illiterate.

Ronnie48
Level 2
California, United States

I would say that i too have had guests who have not left any reviews. I wonder too if it is a problem with ‘ I dont have time ‘ or simply that they did not enjoy their stay. It is unnerving to say the least! I would prefer a review as I have done mine to my utmost ability. A simple ‘ a good stay’ would suffice! 

@Ronnie48  It is doubtful that they don't leave reviews because they didn't enjoy their stay- guests who don't enjoy their stays seem all too eager to post reviews full of complaints. 🙂

Nor is it necessarily that they don't have the time. Some people simply aren't interested in the whole review culture. They just paid their money, had a nice holiday, and it's over. They don't even think about a review.

While the vast majority of my guests have left reviews, a few haven't. I don't find it disconcerting at all- it doesn't matter to me in the least. Might have when I was a new host and needed to get some reviews on my listing, but neither you nor I are in that position anymore.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

It's possible.

15-20% of guests are just skipping this part.