Is there any consequence to NOT posting a guest review?

Answered!
Catherine2156
Level 2
Lancaster, PA

Is there any consequence to NOT posting a guest review?

A  guest stayed at my property and the only factual review I could give is this:  "XXX stayed at my house over NYE.  Furniture was rearranged and left and bedding was left on couches."  (I've tightened up my rules and pre-booking questions for the future) but wonder if it is better to post nothing.  the guest and I had almost no other interaction.  the guest had to call to verify they were at the correct house.  thanks for your thoughts.

Bob

Top Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Catherine2156 

I think a more appropriate review would be: "XXX stayed at my house over NYE. We had very little interaction and little communication. My cleaner had to spend some extra time as furniture was rearranged."

This will make future hosts aware that this guest is probably not well suited for a host who requires a certain level of communication. 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The only consequence to not leaving a review is that you aren't giving other hosts the benefit of knowing what a guest was like to host, so they have something to assist in making the decision whether to accept a guest or not.

That said, unless you have clear instructions not to move furniture and rules about leaving bedding on the couches, these seem like nit-picky things to write in a review. Guest do move furniture, which can be irritating, but unless they damaged walls, floors, or the furniture itself by doing so, it's just one of those annoying things hosts have to deal with. And leaving bedding on the the couches seems entirely inconsequential to me. If they left the place a total mess, ignored check-out instructions, or house rules, or damaged things, or conversely, were wonderful guests, that's what other hosts would like to know from a review.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Catherine2156 

I love Lancaster and have family there! 

Please, always leave a review.   Future hosts rely on past reviews to help them accept or decline guests and also how to best prepare for certain guests. I wouldn't hesitate to host a guest with that review but I would  make my rules a bit more clear for that particular group than for others and I might even decide to check them in myself instead of having them use the lockbox. By not leaving a review (even a nice short example in your post above), the guests won't feel the level of accountability that we ALL want them to feel and future hosts will host them blind. Please, always leave a review.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Catherine2156 

I can not say for sure.  However I believe that leaving a review contributes to some certain extent to rank better your listing. It is also part of the each stay process. If you are are a host that are capable of doing the right thing from the begining to the end of each guest´s stay, certainly the Airbnb algo will take it into consideration.

Put yourself in the place of Airbnb. What would the most thrustworth host? The one who does what it ought to do, or the one who does not care for the entire process? The one who does the right thing even in front of a difficult situation, or the one who is cowerd becouse he is afraid of getting bad reviews?

Yes, it is just an speculation, but to me it makes sense.

Moreover, the number of reviews certainly counts to rank the listings when the prices are similar. The more reviews you leave on guest´s profile, the more chances you have to receive reviews.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Catherine2156 

I think a more appropriate review would be: "XXX stayed at my house over NYE. We had very little interaction and little communication. My cleaner had to spend some extra time as furniture was rearranged."

This will make future hosts aware that this guest is probably not well suited for a host who requires a certain level of communication. 

Karla128
Level 6
Vallejo, CA

An hose to review is always appreciated from hosts. Even some hosts has different expectations from country to country. Please keep reviews as fact true! And let hosts decide if they willing to accept that behaviors. I can see if I only have a cave house, or pets living in house, will not care of it. But, for hosts has higher price tag will prefer not to host such type of guests. 
in this logical thinking. Open mind to understand each host has there own choice of opinions too. We, as host will be happier to see all reviews as fact. 
thanks