Just had a 15 day December reservation wanting to change to 3 days...the last day of cancellation policy.

Scott1306
Level 2
Chico, CA

Just had a 15 day December reservation wanting to change to 3 days...the last day of cancellation policy.

Most homes in our area have a moderate cancellation policy {100% refund till 5 days) as do us. Had a 15 day reservation for 3 months tie up half of December. 5 days before arriving she said she wanted just the last 3 days (cancelling 12). No excuse. I denied and she cancelled the whole res. Is there anyplace to leave a review for this person so others won't be scammed? Is it possible to have different cancellation policies for different length of stays and/or holidays?

13 Replies 13
Sammy-L-0
Level 10
Whitesburg, KY

@Scott1306 @That's terrible. You have to believe this was a case if someone not knowing when they were going to travel and reserving a whole block of days to make sure they had a room

Absolutely leave a review so others aren't taken in by this person.

Sam
The Historic Mountain View
Scott1306
Level 2
Chico, CA

I don't believe for a second that this was just using the system. She was not at all communicative and waited till the last second to pick out her dates she ended up wanting. I would love to leave her a review as I would bet it is just how she does it, but where do I do that as she never stayed with us?

@Scott1306  You click theblack flag icon located on their profile page- it is for reporting on a guest, just as there is the same icon on the listings to report this property when you want to share information publicly about a person or property.

Susan
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Scott1306   So her cancellation was within the 5 day window?  If so then you won't be able to leave a review, I guess you could flag the account and say you felt it was a scam to keep maximum flexibility for the guest who never intended to stay for 15 days, but I don't know that airbnb would penalize the guest since technically the cancellation was within the allowable window.  

That's a shame, were there any other red flags?  You may still be able to rebook some of the dates, lots of people are last minute travelers. 

Scott1306
Level 2
Chico, CA

Thanks Sammy....hate losing 6g! Happy holidays

Scott

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

This is gut-wrenching and I'm so sorry this happened. 

I think you have exactly zero recourse as it appears she followed your cancelation policy to the letter.  As I was reading your story, and you mentioned you denied the request, my heart dropped (and I was shocked) when you said she canceled altogether.  Awful. . .

This guest knew exactly what she was doing.  And make no mistake, this is not a "scam."  She's using the policy to her advantage exactly as it's written.  She behaved like an entitled jerk, yes.  But she acted within the letter of the policy.  It's disgusting while being completely legit.  

It still absolutely boggles my mind why any host would have any cancelation policy other than STRICT.  

Being fairly new to this I polled many of our "competition" and "moderate" which is cancel within 5 days of arrival for full refund seems to be the norm. Definitely re-thinking this....thank you all

@Scott1306 It’s hard enough to get any guest to read listing description or house rules. 🤣No one is even paying any attention to what cancellation policy you have. Unless they intend to do what this person did. Or, until they decide to cancel. Then the sh1t hits the fan. That’s the only downside to strict…dealing with shocked guests pleading for mercy or trying to manipulate you and customer circus. No way I’d even consider any other policy unless my listing was booked months in advance, every day of the year, and I had people waiting in the wings to snap up cancelled dates.

Thank you...living and learning!!

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Scott1306 

Other platforms that have both standard and non-refundable rates also allow hosts to blackout dates that either rate is available.  On Booking, I have the dates from December 23 through January 23 as only non-refundable, and applied a special holiday rate for that period.  There is a 30-day cancellation policy for the standard rate.  Since Airbnb doesn't allow this type of selective rate assignment, I have chosen the new Firm or Non-refundable cancellation policy.  At 

Debra300_0-1638410085200.png

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

We learned that lesson. We changed to "strict" and haven't looked back. I have only one apartment (not a hotel with lots of spare rooms). You book us, you're on the hook. Although I did once have "non-refundable" with the moderate policy. Had a person book us, then wait until the day before Christmas to say they couldn't come (friends they were visiting had Covid).

I bent and offered a refund but Airbnb had to override. Less than 24 hours she was billing "me" in the resolution center and complaining about what was the hold-up. Honestly, I think much of the fault lies with Airbnb not doing a better job educating guests. They give us demands on how to host ad naseum but then encourage any sentient being that is breathing to think we're just rolling in dough and guests have the final word.

Now I'm firm. It's non-refundable after a certain point but if they cancel I'll refund if the room is rebooked. I think the law in the US forbids double dipping anyway.

Let's start by getting customer service back in house.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Scott1306  No you can't leave a review. You are only given that option if a guest cancels within 24 hours of check-in.

Moderate works fine for some hosts, but it depends on the nature of your listing, the area, and why and how guests get to your place. My guests almost all fly in, they may have surf lessons booked, or a whale watching tour, so between that, flights booked, time booked off work, there are too many things in play for them to just cavalierly cancel. 

But you have to decide if that policy is really advantageous to you or not. 

Hopefully, seeing as it's over the holidays, you'll be able to rebook it, especially if other listings in your area are booked up.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best way to avoid having this type of guest is to have stricter cancellation policies @Scott1306 

personally I don't care what policies other hosts have in my area I have cancellation policies that work for me