Keeping Infected guests out of my home

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Keeping Infected guests out of my home

Hey guys I am looking for some suggested wording (not advice) to use on my listing description.

So far the only thing I can think to do to make sure they see it, it to lead with it at the top of the page, but the message , no matter how I word it seems hostile.

So here's the issue. 9/10 guests that I get ,admit to never having read the house rules, (even though they get three messages to please  do that) and they check the little box.  

I currently do not wish to take any guests who have recently been in lockdown states or foreign countries.  Yesterday I got a guest from California, who had just returned from Brazil and arrived with a bad headache. He did not inform me of this until he had been in my home for over an hour. I didn't think much about it, except he went to bed at 6pm, and by 6am he was coughing and sneezing, looked flushed and generally ill. This was a one nighter so all I could do, scrub the floors, walls and everything else required to keep consequent guests and myself safe.

I want to discourage these types of guests without discouraging everyone, unfortunately no one is reading the house rules even though they click the box. I guess I could just oust them, if they are sneezing and claiming it's an allergy.... but I don't want to lose super host status. 

16 Replies 16

@Liz140  The Coronavirus is present in Arizona, so no matter where your guests are coming from, it is possible that they will have been exposed to it by the time they reach your home. Whatever you have in mind here is not a data-based strategy.

What it comes down to here is: if it would be a danger to your health to host someone who is a contagious carrier of Covid-19, you should cease hosting until everyone in your household has been vaccinated. But if your household is set up in such a way that you're not at risk, there's no need for your discrimination scheme.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Here's a fun story for you all... one of my college kiddos attends one of the schools that spent much of the fall in the news for the high number of cases at their university. Our recommendation to them was to wash hands, wear mask & follow the directions given, but yes, still attend class, do work, cook food, etc.

Well, lo and behold, that kiddo never did get sick from college but did catch Covid from one of the roommates' mothers who came down to check on her kiddo from her very normal, very restricted, work from home, not in a hot spot, location. The mother did not know she was sick until after she got home and the other 2 roommates (who both had considerably more contact with each other and with the mother) did not get sick at all (repeated negative tests). So, wording really isn't the problem.

And btw, the folks who are acting recklessly, don't think they're reckless and the people who are careful are NOT going to rent a room and share space with a stranger(s). Again, wording cannot help this.

good luck