Let's be honest...

Ryan368
Level 6
Colorado Springs, CO

Let's be honest...

You don't care in the least about your hosts or your superhosts.

I have been an AirBnB Host for about 10 years. I have been doing it at full time properties for the past 4 years. I've been a superhost that entire time. I have around 800 reviews (I think) over the years.

I always read horror stories from hosts who say that AirBnb has locked their accounts and that they have done nothing. In my head, I thought these people were just bad hosts. I assumed that they had done something and they were just not admitting their own issues. Unfortunately, that assumption was incorrect.

I had a guest last week who had never used AirBnB. A husband and wife with a dog and a baby. They had a four night reservation. I sent them the check in info. They never responded. I sent them welcome message the day before. They never responded. That's fine. Some people just want to do their own thing. All good. I never heard from them at all.

On that Friday after their reservation ended, I received an email at 3:36am from AirBnB stating that my account was being locked because of a guest safety concern and that I would be able to discuss this with the representative on Monday at 6pm when she got back into the office. MONDAY at 6PM??? They really planed to leave my account locked for 3 days because a guest with no reservation history and no reviews reported a safety concern despite the hundreds, if not thousands, of past guests who had never reported anything similar. AirBnB never contacted me. The guest never contacted me. The guest stayed in my house through the entire reservation, left on the last day and then made a "safety complaint" which triggered my account lockout without even a discussion (at 3:36am). Not even an attempt by AirBnB to reach me. That is SO disappointing. 

I called and spent about five hours on the phone Saturday morning with various AirBnB reps trying to get it escalated and resolved. All of them told me the same thing. We can escalate this, but no one will look at it until this support rep returns and they were right. I have yet to receive a call back from anyone despite replying to the case and uploading pictures and evidence against this guest's claim. I am locked out of messaging. I am locked out of reservations. My calendars shows as blocked out on all properties, not just the property that was reported. The house in question is our highest rated at 4.95 and has back to back reservations. It has had 3 vacant days in the past six months. I have had three new guests check in since they locked it. I have had to track back through past communications to find their phone numbers and reach out to them directly. It's worked out okay. Not ideal, but it's worked. 

To top this off, when I went to the house after I received the email, it was trashed. The king size mattress and comforter were covered dog urine and the tub looked like they had bathed their dog multiple times. It was covered in hair and scratches. It was obvious they left their dog in the house unattended while they went out for the day. However, I can't file a damage claim because my account is locked. When I called support about it, they told me they also couldn't file one on my behalf for the same reason. This guest reported me. He did so to get out of paying for the obvious damages and bad review he would receive. I believe he knew that if he was first to complain, they would take his side. No questions asked. That's a problem. AirBnB did absolutely no due diligence. They didn't look at my positive host history or the fantastic reviews of this house. They didn't contact me to discuss the situation. They didn't even give me the opportunity to call in to speak to anyone because my rep was "out for the weekend". They just made a judgement and shut my account down. I am having to spend extra time working on resolving this, and I cannot even make a claim to recover the damages this guest did before they called in to get my account shut down. Why would AirBnB side with someone who has a brand new account over a person with ten years of history before even looking into the situation or speaking with me? Why? Because they just don't care about their hosts. 

This will get resolved, hopefully today. I don't plan to stop using AirBnB, though I do plan to re list it on other sites and see how that experience is. I love AirBnB. I love using AriBnB. I travel with AirBnB. I am rethinking all of that. This experience has been awful and this policy of making one sided judgements is beyond unreasonable. What is the point of building a solid hosting history and maintaining superhost status if something like this can happen?

I've always done right by AirBnB. Unfortunately, they haven't reciprocate with a mutual level of respect.

Look, AirBnB asked me to be a local host ambassador a couple of months ago, and I would have done it if I had time. I run a large host alliance group that covers the front range of Colorado. I worked with the City of Colorado Springs on regulations and fought to keep AirBnB legal in Colorado. I have been invested and spent years promoting the benefits fo AirBnB.

Why?
33 Replies 33
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Catherine-Powell  please read this thread and see what we keep reading about. Guests make a claim.... customer service blocks the hosts account without calling and there is NO communication with hosts and no explanation typically just  closed door and days, weeks later unlocked. Most everytime the guests have left damage and broken house rules and this is an effort to avoid taking responsibility for guests awful behavior. Surely there is a better protocol for dealing with this. I can not imagine what I would do as a leader in my community if I was treated like that suddenly. The stress that the hosts gets to endure due to this situation is just uncalled for. I know you care and look forward to seeing how you help all hosts with this poor blunder of service. Thanks in advance.

Blessings,

Clara

Ryan368
Level 6
Colorado Springs, CO

Update...

A new Safety rep, Brett, called this morning. He was very apologetic. He explained that this was handled incorrectly and my account should have never been locked out. They should have contacted me first, etc... He said he would correct the issue immediately and had already opened up my account. So, screaming bloody murder all over FB, Twitter, and the AirBnB Host forum actually works! Anyway, I was glad that he apologized. Mistakes happen.

It's a bad policy and hopefully one that they resolve. I'd almost hope that a rep wouldn't even have the ability to lock someone's account without at least attempting to contact them first. That said, it was explained by Brett that should have never happened in the first place.

@Ryan368 

Congratulations. I've just checked Your profile and Your listings are back online.

You have more than 500 reviews. Airbnb should have treated You better right from the start.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

This entire business of hosts being considered guilty until proven innocent, based solely on some guest "reporting" a host, needs to stop. @Catherine-Powell

Jason1470
Level 10
Port Hedland, Australia

Hi @Ryan368 ,

I’m posting in the capacity of a guest, as I’m not a host on this platform yet. 

Your ordeal seems shocking and uncalled for. It is indeed unacceptable that with so many positive reviews, and a clean record, you had to endure so much as a host. I’m glad it has ended well though and I commend you for voicing your concerns and seeking a resolution in a very respectable manner. Good on you!

I agree with @Sarah977 that this ‘guilty until proven innocent’ should stop, especially if a similar bar is not set for guests.

ABB is a two way street and I believe guests should be equally held accountable for their actions. I am like a school boy awaiting his report card every time I complete a stay at a host’s place. So far I seem to have done alright😀. But the point remains - this community is quite different from other travel accomodation options - one where both parties should have a vested interest in ensuring the highest standards from each other. 

As a parting note, I would like to know from the ABB management team, if guests ever get blacklisted and if so how does this mechanism work? And I’m not talking about guests who were reported to conduct criminal or nefarious activities while staying in an AirBnB accommodation. What if guests are reported by hosts as being abusive, disrespectful, unruly or just plain disruptive in some manner.

@Jason1470 , its nice to hear a guest POV on this.  Unfortunately guests with nothing to lose can and do reinvent themselves in a number of ways including just using another provider even if they get a bad review or more.  Thats not so easy for hosts to do, our spaces combined with  Airbnb's listings brand us for good and for bad, I literally have hundred's of hours in the last few years just maintaining the web presence that I would need to try to replicate elsewhere   I'm sure I could if I had to but the hundreds of 5* reviews that would disappear would have me nearly starting fresh and thats highly undesirable.   Stay well, JR

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Jason1470 , @Sarah977 , @Ute42 , @Clara116 , @Helen3 , @Lisa723 , @Kelly149 , @Heather1086 , @J-Renato0 , @Bob297 

Glad @Ryan368 , that a flow of communication has begun.

@Airbnb needs to treat hosts respectfully; and a good and lengthy host record should matter! The likelihood of a good host going postal or off track, is extremely unlikely. Could it happen? Yes. But extremely rare........

I do hope you have begun the process for seeking $$ for the damage to the bath. There but for the door of misfortune, goes any of us.....

As part of this sordid scenario, the guest’s review should also be considered an outlier by AIrbnb  as the guest was deliberately preemptive,  hostile and discriminatory because of their own actions.

Please @Catherine-Powell, can the training process for CS staff be made consistent with basic procedural knowledge for checking a listings details, the hosts history, as well as ringing the host for “the other side of the story”; especially when damages though not known, may be  involved. Then throw in an ounce of common sense....

Elementary checks and balances.... also good  business modelling.

️ Hosts should be applauded for placing external monitoring systems on external doors, driveways and parking areas. External door monitoring assists hosts and AIrbnb with monitoring illegal numbers, even illegal party potential.  It is more importantly on an external perimeter, a positive deterrent for opportunistic vandalism or theft from a guest’s vehicle. This seriously outweighs a guest who  “feels negative and watched”. Absolute hogwash of an excuse!

Seriously, in this modern age where CCTV cameras are monitoring traffic and pedestrians everywhere, ALL of the time; hotel foyers and hallways and landings, as well as acceptable at commercial premises and venues > for AIrbnb to still consider and accept an external monitoring system as an UNSAFE practise or response, can no longer be considered valid. 

Inside monitoring is a different proposition... which isn’t on trial here.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Ryan368 , Sorry to hear about the Bull Bumble they put you through as a poop topping on an already crap cake!  The first problem I have with this is lodging provision is a 24/7/365 business, how can CS Safety investigations be anything less than that? "Out for the weekend" isnt an acceptable excuse nor are single points of failure in huge Orgs like virtual locks dependent on only one key to open it. 

I'm gad they figured it out, I suspect the CC Fairies that care for our bulletin board may have had some influence on a speedier resolution as has been the case many times here before.  That doesn't mean we should think its normal to have to lean on them, they have jobs already.   Until the CS team becomes what it once was (Super Speedy and Effective), I really appreciate the significantly silent interventions for great hosts that they do so well.  

I do think Im gonna have to rethink my single platform support plan, it is scary to think that our business is one keystroke from screwed, if thats something that becoming more prevalent, I would be remiss in not trying to protect our non billion dollar enterprise. thanks for the thread, its making my head start the process of change!  BTW, any regrets about accepting dogs?   Stay well, JR

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

@Catherine-Powell@Ryan368,

"Why would AirBnB side with someone who has a brand new account over a person with ten years of history before even looking into the situation or speaking with me? Why? Because they just don't care about their hosts."  As Ryan stated his account was locked, without CS speaking to him!  Will this host abuse be stopped, without a host having to post here and all over social media, to get CS attention?

The city of Estes Park, CO has just invited the hospitality industry to free virtual training:  "Serving Difficult and Demanding Customers - working on the frontlines in the hospitality industry is tough.  Add an enduring pandemic and an unprecedented fire season to the mix and, well... tough is probably one of the more benign adjectives you'd use to end that statement."  This is a small resort / tourism town and they are listening to the lodging people and the times we live in.  Will Airbnb start listening to the hosts, or will Super Hosts just leave, because the guests are all that matters?

Tom2861
Level 2
Whitefish, MT

Sorry you are having a hard time getting ahold of a rep.  I've never had this problem but I haven't had to since the pandemic started, they cut staff and are probably busy with the public listing.  

That being said.  Mold can and does grow in any bathroom anywhere.  I've lived in Montana for 30 years and most of that time in hotel management.  Same environment.  Mold happens even in close to freezing temps and bathrooms have moisture.  I just changed out all of my caulk the other day 🙂   And I'd have issue with a door that doesn't close unless you physically have to latch it as well.  As for the cameras.  Might be a good idea to take screen shots of your listings so you can always be able to verify what is on the site and when.  I have all of mine screen shots.  You know.. just in case.  

Not saying you don't have a proper beef with airbnb.  They should get back to you in a timely manner since they are the one that locked you out.  But all these people blaming airbnb as if they are in charge of people's homes is kinda redic.  We are all our own bosses.  Honestly I wish there was more regulation on hosts by their local munies.   AirBnB is just the reservation system.  One you should not be locked out of until they can or can't verify the claims of the guest.  So that sucks.  But when I worked for Hilton, if a guest complained to corporate about my hotel it got sent back down to me to work it out with the guest... and if I couldn't... my hotel ate it.  And Hilton corporate has more involvement than AirBnB does.  

Anyway... just my 2 cents.   Have a good one.  

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Your situation turned out ok but even I with 30k or so reservations under my belt have had entire payouts taken from me for guest complaints I’m with documentation I’m never shown.  Airbnb uses the homes as free inventory to sell and the owners/hosts as free employees. Hampton inn can give a guest a free night because they pay the mortgage. And they don’t get to not pay the desk clerk and maid. They have to pay all of that if they choose to comp a night. But Airbnb doesn’t pay for any of it!

Aj92
Level 4
Dallas, TX

@Catherine-Powell @Ryan368 I'm going through the same thing.  I have a large, Spanish style listing north of downtown Houston that is in a transitional / gentrifying neighborhood. The place is entirely safe. I myself stayed there for 6 weeks with my rescue puppy getting the place setup. It has a giant private gate, ring flood lights on the exterior, and kick in proof reinforced doors on all entrances. My listing location is accurate--I tell everybody it's 5 miles north of downtown, which it is. I also mention the flood light camera and ring doorbell.

My guest Monday night immediately messages me claiming that they don't feel safe in the neighborhood (it's completely safe, but has some poorer houses). I tell her I am happy to refund the unused days if she wanted to cancel but that I had never had a safety issue at the location and mentioned all of the security features, but that I will not refund that night as it was already 9 pm and the maid had already cleaned the place. To me, this was very reasonable.

She then starts sending me and Airbnb an array of photos / claims. First, she claims the doors in the house don't lock. Luckily, I have smart locks and send them proof that not only do they lock, but she's had to enter the access code each time so she knows they lock, and I check the ring doorbell and literally hear her referencing seeing what the inside is like in an effort to get the 1st day also refunded, so she literally checked in knowing she wouldn't be staying there and determined to find issues in an effort to get the rest refunded.  I send the video to her and airbnb. Second, she takes a photo of a piece of tape the handyman used to cover holes he drilled into the wall above the fireplace to mount the TV. To be clear, she literally removed the TV from the mount to find this piece of tape and it was a literal photo of a piece of tape. She claims this piece of tape is a safety hazard and is actually a live and exposed electrical wire. When I mention if she pulls it down she will see a regular wall with a stud behind it and no wires, she then claims the place is in a different area than I advertised and takes photos of trash set outside for pickup as trash day is the next day (the gate is 100 yards from the house, so the trash is nowhere near the home and is exactly where it should be for pickup). That said, both bins are oddly knocked over and I believe she did that. She then tries to claim the maid left all of her cleaning supplies in the entryway (she has been cleaning with me for months and would never do that).

She then threatens me with legal action and reports my listing claiming the cameras are inside the house (keep in mind I sent her the literal video showing her outside at the front door so she knows they are not inside).  When I refuse the refund, she reports me, and of course airbnb suspends my account while they "investigate" the cameras. 

I get an email from one trust and safety ambassader very early Tuesday morning asking to call me Wednesday at 1 pm.  I tell them this is urgent and to call me ASAP.  Nobody calls me.  Next day at 1 arrives and again no call.  Keep in mind I have called airbnb at least 15 times trying to fast track a resolution here.  Nobody calls.  Trust and Safety can't be reached, and never bothers to ask me for info.  I take the initiative to send Airbnb my ring listing screenshots for all of my listings, so they can see where the cameras are at every listing, I send them my ring login credentials so they can check themselves, I offer to allow somebody in Houston to search the place if they would like, I reference the guest issues, I send screenshots of my listing descriptions showing the cameras are on there, and I send a screenshot of Airbnb's camera policy as well and illustrate I am not following this.  It's an easy investigation.  All they have to do is read my message history with the guests and check the ring camera account or look at the screenshots of the camera feeds.  They do none of that.  I have no clue when this nightmare will end.  I am losing thousands daily and employ a full team of maids as well, so this doesn't just impact me.

Airbnb needs to stop allowing guests who act unreasonably, break rules or policies, and more, to weaponize the review system and trust & safety.  Unbelievably, this woman who didn't like the neighborhood and only checked in to find issues to try to get more of a refund, and then lied about my listing getting it suspended, she is still allowed to leave a review, and if she doesn't cuss I am likely going to have many issues getting it removed.  The review system and safety complaints should be unbiased.  Anybody who gets thrown out of a listing for rules or policy violations are obviously going to be biased.  For established hosts at least require guests to provide SOME proof of the issue they are claiming before suspending an account.  There are no cameras at any of my listings so I know **bleep** well that guest could not have provided any proof of a camera being on the inside of that house.  This entire thing has been alarming.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I am always shocked and feel so badly for those who this happens to. I fear the day this happens to me.

Some nutjob guest makes it through the gauntlet, totally trashes the house, then issues a formal complaint to Airbnb citing nonexistent hazards and imaginary atrocities they were subjected to, with zero evidence. And immediately, the good reputation and longstanding Airbnb business I've built over the years is lost (in addition to a likely full refund, and cancellation of future bookings). 

...Because of one bad guest. And Airbnb's obtuse incompetence. 

Fortunately, I have a backup. But it's far from the preferred solution. 

Watch your back. 

Hi @Aj92,

Thank you for tagging me here. I am deeply sorry you had this experience. I have checked in with our team and they reassured me that your listing is active again.

We want to ensure that everyone is treated fairly and whenever there is a concern, our teams will investigate. I understand there is room for improvement, and please know I will share your insights with our teams. Again, I hope this doesn't happen again, but if you have anything else to share, we are here to listen.

Thank you,

Catherine

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Catherine-Powell  Every day there are new posts here about yet another long time 5* host having their listing suspended with no warning, based on a bogus complaint from a guest who is disgruntled over not receiving an  undeserved refund or being called out for bad behavior.

These are not isolated cases, it is clear that CS reps are being instructed to do this. It is systemic, not individual.

There is nothing whatsoever fair about this and it is nonsensical. A guest makes a complaint about cameras, and instead of the CS rep taking 2 minutes to look at the host's listing to determine that yes, the host has disclosed the cameras in their listing, and dismissing the complaint right there and then, Airbnb suspends the host's listing for some indeterminate length of time, cancelling booked reservations, harming the host's business and upsetting the cancelled guests, all based on an unsubstantiated report from a guest seeking revenge.

Correcting this outrage does not require "investigation" by some team. CS reps simply have to be instructed to stop these unfair suspensions, which it is apparent is some kind of internal Airbnb policy, and start treating hosts with respect instead of as if they are criminals and guilty until proven innocent.